New Q&A on Thailand

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I'm wondering is what it's like out there in July; I'll be flying into Bangkok, where I'll be for 3-4 days, then I'm thinking of heading over to Pattaya for a couple nights just to check it out. From there I'd like to head to Chiang Mai for a while and from there, any one of the islands. Was thinking Koh Samui, Koh Phangan, or Koh Tao. I'm gonna head down to Phuket for a while later on, and either go to Sinbi or Patong Boxing Gym for some training.
Are you going to be flying between cities? Because that seems like a pretty convoluted path.

from central to way up north to way down south, lots of backtracking

advice for farang on the town.
places like walking st look chaotic, look like something from a movie, hard to believe your eyes.
this chaos leads people to believe they can behave in a wild chaotic manner, there are rules here, respect still applies even to bar girls, disrespect them at your own risk.

be aware that not all girls are easy, not all are looking for farang even though many many are, that girl your rude to and talk to in such a way that is a habbit because the last 20 girls liked it may be a different kind of girl.

these nice girls often go out in groups, male brothers and cousins scattered around the bar, respect all and everything fine.

if you fight here, never hang around after you win, ever.

Are you going to be flying between cities? Because that seems like a pretty convoluted path.

Yeah, if I can find cheap flights that's what I plan on doing (unless there is a better and cheaper way). But honestly I may just decide to wing it once I get there. What type of path would you recommend? I'm not going to train the first few weeks. I just want to see as much of the country as I can in that time frame, since last my last trip I was mainly in Phuket. I want to go to a Full Moon Party on Koh Phangan for sure, and maybe do some snorkeling/diving on the islands.

Yeah, if I can find cheap flights that's what I plan on doing (unless there is a better and cheaper way). But honestly I may just decide to wing it once I get there. What type of path would you recommend? I'm not going to train the first few weeks. I just want to see as much of the country as I can in that time frame, since last my last trip I was mainly in Phuket. I want to go to a Full Moon Party on Koh Phangan for sure, and maybe do some snorkeling/diving on the islands.
Check air asia website for how much flights cost. What I did was land in bangkok and took an air asia flight to chiang mai. After that taking buses between cities (nothing over 5h) and made my way down south. Wikitravel for pattaya says there is a high speed catamaran between Pattaya and Hua Hin. That seems like a pretty good option.

I just posted a review of Patong Boxing Gym.

Link: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f11/patong-boxing-gym-review-phuket-1904521/

Summary:
- Gym has good facilities
- Located between Karon and Patong (Phuket) so lots of options for your non-training time
- “One on one” training approach may be overemphasized but you WILL get at least 1 hour of one on one training at every session
- I don’t have anything to compare the gym to, but I was very happy with my time there and would train there again
- I recommend that you stay at the On-The-Hill Hotel which is 500m from camp

Yes, I know of some traveling monks who do Sak Yant. Cheap too. I don't have any though, not ready to commit to all the rules that go along with getting one.

I read that you would have to live a life of virtue by buddhist standards.

I read that you would have to live a life of virtue by buddhist standards.

Plus some "rules" that are rather ridiculous like no left overs of some foods and prohibited from crossing certain bridges and not really applicable to most people not withstanding the more "moral" rules.

There are many non Thais and Thais walking around with sak yant and aren't strict practitioners of the rules, you may notice I said rules and not necessarily Buddhist precepts since some of them are more based on ancient animalist/shamanist khmer practices...

Some adress in Bangkok

-Boxer rebelion
-BKK BJJ
-Fight club Bangkok
-Chakrit Muay Thai School

Camp:

-Tiger Muay Thai Phuket
-Kombat Village Pattaya

Enjoy!

Plus some "rules" that are rather ridiculous like no left overs of some foods and prohibited from crossing certain bridges and not really applicable to most people not withstanding the more "moral" rules.

There are many non Thais and Thais walking around with sak yant and aren't strict practitioners of the rules, you may notice I said rules and not necessarily Buddhist precepts since some of them are more based on ancient animalist/shamanist khmer practices...

Yeah, I also read that each Ajarn will have a different set of rules. Whether it's not going under a clothes line or not eating certain fruits.

i have 5 yants, just do it for the right reasons, they are not cosmetic, they are for real.
should come from your heart

i have 5 yants, just do it for the right reasons, they are not cosmetic, they are for real.
should come from your heart

In what sense do you mean real? That they have religious value or that they are somewhat supernatural? To me they're like rosary beads, to believers they are signs of faith but to others a fashion/aesthetic accent...

you could call supernatural.
to us its all part of the same, supernatural or natural.
but yes thats what i mean, a yant is very very serious.

Hey y'all, sorry if this is the wrong thread.

I'm planning a trip to Thailand, from July to September next year. My plan is to train in three (or at least two) different muay thai camps.

I'm planning on starting somewhere around Bangkok, currently searching for suitable camps (by the way, do you know any intermediate oriented camps? Above all I want to learn technique).

One month later I want to go to Phuket, train at Sinbi maybe? (Is it even in Phuket or am I confusing something?)

During the last month I'd like to try the K.Y.N gym in Koh Yao Noi. Does anybody know anything about it? Especially its main trainer?

leaving for thailand today! will be staying at green valley nai harn, props to ryu!

will be training at sinbi thursday morning, will report back on everything!

THE DAY'S FINALLY COME!

Hey y'all, sorry if this is the wrong thread.

I'm planning a trip to Thailand, from July to September next year. My plan is to train in three (or at least two) different muay thai camps.

I'm planning on starting somewhere around Bangkok, currently searching for suitable camps (by the way, do you know any intermediate oriented camps? Above all I want to learn technique).

One month later I want to go to Phuket, train at Sinbi maybe? (Is it even in Phuket or am I confusing something?)

During the last month I'd like to try the K.Y.N gym in Koh Yao Noi. Does anybody know anything about it? Especially its main trainer?

nah mate, this is the right thread for you! from what i've read, it's more on "how much you put in = how much you get out" sort of feel, but then there are camps that i've read just want your money and have lazy trainers. best bet is to continually get privates.
I haven't done much research on training camps in Bangkok but from what i've heard kaewsamrit is very foreigner friendly with great training, boxing included. Sitsongpeenong looks like a great new gym that I would really really want to try too and from what I've read it's a no muck around gym, they train seriously hard here.

Yeah Sinbi is in Phuket, it's in the southern region of phuket, Rawai, and it's quiet there without the distractions like in Patong. I'll be staying here tomorrow so I'll report back on how everything is but I'm sure it'll be great!

In BKK I like Fighting Spirit Gym, it's run by a rare albino Australian gorilla that gained a human intellect but an English sense of humor named Dan. Good gym with Western niceties and Thai trainers with a good weight room set up. Also reasonably priced and centrally located.

Sitsongpeenong is more on the outskirts and they are a hardcore gym my main caveat would be that if it's busy they might split the classes up between farang and thai. If it's quiet you'll get to train with Kem which is awesome. A bit more expensive.

KYN's headtrainer is very technical so you should enjoy it as well as the lovely scenery though I hope you like beach life as there may not be tons of stuff going on beside your normal beach water activities. They have a fluent English speaker on site...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back