New podcast on Judo

SisyphusMyth

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, just put out a podcast episode that talks about competition judo circuit and the crossover between judo and bjj:
http://takeituneasy.com/episode-6-niko-dax-on-elite-level-judo-and-bjj/

As you may know, the IJF (judo organization) banned leg grabs a few years back, and the IBJJF (bjj organization) has added a bunch of restrictive rules in the past as well. Niko argues a point (that I found surprisingly convincing) that a more restrictive rule-set may have a positive effect on the evolution of the techniques in the art.

Anyway, hope you find it interesting.

It was a great podcast, thank you very much. I recommend it to any grappler.

Great episode Lex! Guys, check out some of the other episodes also, I'm on there a few times flapping my gums, and he has a couple of great episodes with Bjj black belt and MMA fighter Tim Carpenter. Good stuff!

This is exciting... great way to get some more Judo in mah life.

Good episode. While I am in no way an experienced judoka not sure I agree with everything said. He claims that leg grabs are not really judo but if this is the case then why are they part of the of the 67 throws of the kodokan. Even if they were added later they are now officially part of the judo just as the rear naked choke is just as much a part of bjj as it is judo. The morote gari can be part of both wrestling and judo equally.

The issue from what I heard were people spamming the double and just turtle on failed attempts. That did need to be fixed I just think they didnt have to be so extreme.

Anyway great podcast and will most definitely listen to past and future episodes.

Thanks man, that means a lot, that a fellow podcaster shows the love. I'm a big fan, and tell everyone Open Mat Radio is my favorite BJJ podcast.

We respect everyone that's doing their best to cover grappling/jiu jitsu in a respectful way. We know how much it's helped us to get support along the way. A little competition makes us all better, but supporting one another goes a long way too. It'd be awesome if there were enough quality jiu jitsu podcasts that you could have a show or two a day!

Liked the episode a lot, it's good when someone has strong opinions on a lot of subjects.

I should correct myself that you're not strictly a jiu jitsu podcast. I probably should have written my last comment differently. Keep up the great work.

The issue from what I heard were people spamming the double and just turtle on failed attempts. That did need to be fixed I just think they didnt have to be so extreme.
They had it about right with the 2008-2012 ruleset with regard to leg grabs; only as a counter attack, part of a combination or when your opponent has a cross grip.

Back