new place to train while at university?

JMSanchez

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Long story short: I've trained in Krav Maga for about two years; and I'm looking for a new martial arts school to train in (for a variety of reasons that I can discuss if you'd like...).

I currently go to Chapman University (Orange, California) and am looking for a nearby studio that teaches either Muay Thai or BJJ (if possible BOTH). Distance from campus is more of an issue than money is, but I still do have to budget.

In a perfect world, I would like to train at a place like " American Top Team" or "Kings MMA"; but that just isn't realistic for me right now (or affordable :] ).

The places I've seen near campus are mostly BJJ schools: 10th Planet, Carlson Gracie, and Gracie Barra.

Which school is best for preparing me for competitive grappling? Do any of them teach Muay Thai/ kickboxing on the side??

If my choice comes down to either a strictly Muay Thai school or a strictly BJJ school, I would prefer BJJ...but i'm still open to looking at Muay Thai gyms if you have any recommendations. My ultimate goal is to compete in grappling; but I would also like to learn some solid stand up on the side if possible...because I think its important to be well-rounded in fighting skills.

Thanks for any tips/ advice you have for me!!! P.S.: Sorry if this is the wrong place to put this thread, I'm still new to the website...

Those schools probably do not teach MT. If you want both, you probably want to find an MMA gym.

But all of those gyms have good reputations (honestly, Cali is a Mecca for BJJ) , it just depends on what type of grappling you want to do. If you like the GI, go to a Gracie affiliate, if you like noGI, you should consider 10th Planet.

You can always attend 1 class (usually 1st class or 1st week is free) at each of these academies and see which you like better.

Good luck on your journey.

Last edited:
Looking up the school newsletters, it looks like there might be a BJJ club on campus too

Those schools probably do not teach MT. If you want both, you probably want to find an MMA gym.

But all of those gyms have good reputations (honestly, Cali is a Mecca for BJJ) , it just depends on what type of grappling you want to do. If you like the GI, go to a Gracie affiliate, if you like noGI, you should consider 10th Planet.

You can always attend 1 class (usually 1st class or 1st week is free) at each of these academies and see which you like better.

Good luck on your journey.
Thank you for the advice!

Back