New MMA scoring system?

M

MangoMMA

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/5/1...ts-to-revamp-mixed-martial-arts-fight-scoring

A college professor came up with a MMA scoring system based on points. Article is a long read so here's the main idea below:

"The basics of the point system is that every strike that lands, whether standing or on the ground, counts as a point. Jabs and strikes without much force are worth one point. Strikes that land with force are worth two points. Strikes that do real damage are worth three points. A knockdown is also worth an additional three points.

The ground game has elements of wrestling, but with the submission factor added. A takedown is worth two points. A reversal, or sweep, is worth two points. Getting up from the bottom is worth one point. Keeping an opponent grounded is worth two points every 30 seconds, similar to riding time points in college wrestling. Submission attempts, which likely should be ruled on by trained referees, similar to back exposure points in wrestling, can be anywhere from one to four points, depending on things like time span, and how close they are to finishing.

There are also ways to lose points, which also, scored by a referee, would be anywhere from one to five points. In the case of rules violations, there are no warnings, just one point lost for a first offense and more for subsequent offenses. They would be utilized for the obvious MMA fouls: knees to the head of a downed opponent, strikes to the back of the head, groin strikes, grabbing the cage, grabbing the opponents' shorts, as well as stalling or passivity."

He has a second system to convert the points into the 10 point must system like this for Hendo/Shogun 1:

"Rua outscored Henderson 175-122. He also has a second system, which is utilizing the ten point must system, but with more concrete specifications. A round won by one to nine points would be a 10-9 win. If winning by ten 19 to points, it's a 10-8. Wins by 20-29 points become a 10-7 round. In the case of Rua winning a round by 71 points, that's a 10-2 round. In using round scoring, Rua scored a solid 44-39 win."

The guy also talked to Lorenzo Fertitta about the new system:

"Last summer, at the UFC Fan Expo, Edwards asked UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta his thoughts about the system in place. Fertitta told him that a new system would be better than the ten-point must, but UFC was trying to get fighters with the mentality of wanting to finish fights, not outscoring opponents. Edwards felt that a system that clearly rewards activity and aggression would lead to more action and finishes."

So what do u guys think? Could it work?

"real damage" - How does it work?

The basics of the point system is that every strike that lands, whether standing or on the ground, counts as a point. Jabs and strikes without much force are worth one point. Strikes that land with force are worth two points. Strikes that do real damage are worth three points. A knockdown is also worth an additional three points.

Don't even need to read past this to see this idea is abysmal.

Yeah the "real damage" from strikes would just depend on who is doing the scoring. The forums will start blowing up because a hook was scored for one point, not two. I like some of the aspects to it but I'm not sure this would work.

First two responses point out the issue I would have.

There is a reason grappling sports are decided by points and striking sports are decided by judging. When the fists start flying, its unrealistic to count strikes landed in real time.

All we need are qualified judges who have an MMA background. Problem solved.

Sounds like the rules you might have at a monster truck rally.

I have a new scoring system called :beat his fuckin ass and finish the fight. I think it might work

Judges struggle to subtract 2 from 10. How are they going to add to 175?

Why does it have to be so complicated ?

That won't work first of all it's hard to say how hard a strike really is many ko blows such as the one Weidman ko'd Silva with don't look as devastating as they are and it would favour fighters who could act some fighters are better at masking that a punch hurt them than others.
And also it's impossible to score every punch esepcially in fast paced fights the judges won't be able to do it let alone decide in less than 1 second whether the punch was hard or not.
This system is impossible to use in an actual fight

The system is too muddy and awards points for holding someone down.

I would rather have competent judge who knows about the sport like Matt Hume using a bad system like 10-9 than a complicated system used by less competent judges.

While not perfect, i'd rather just have competent, educated judges decide who won the fight overall instead of any points. I'd even settle for a simple 'win' or 'loss' decided for each round, though this doesn't really account for blatant fouls or hideously dominant rounds...

A takedown is worth two points. A reversal, or sweep, is worth two points. Getting up from the bottom is worth one point. Keeping an opponent grounded is worth two points every 30 seconds, similar to riding time points in college wrestling.
I read the whole thing and I have a serious issue with this. People will just lay'n'pray whilst staying just active enough to not be deducted points, much like people do now...only it will be easier. Still too biased towards wrestling.

Until commissions hold judges accountable for poor performance the scoring system is the least of the problems. As many flaws as the 10 point must system has, it can be used to give you the rightful winner in the vast majority of fights. When dumb ass judges start coming up with crazy scores and have to answer to nobody that is where problems arise.

Back