Rumored New MMA League with CBA, guaranteed contracts, health insurance, pension,etc. to be launched in 2023

i didn't say they would announce it. i said none exists yet.

that's alot of free agents to fill a roster from scratch in a short period of time......

again, until we know where the $ is coming from it's kinda moot. what is lined up.....

How do you know none exists yet? Your only knowledge is based on what has been announced.

How do you know none exists yet? Your only knowledge is based on what has been announced.

well, they couldn't be under contract currently. so that excludes most high level fighters, no?

That people want to only watch the best fight the best.

Like with the Paul's? Watch the most popular? I don't know. Those things are far apart.

Decades ago they put Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris on TV to get the most out of their popularity in martial arts. It's basically the same thing.

well, they couldn't be under contract currently. so that excludes most high level fighters, no?

Do people sign contracts two years out?

You're making a mess of this as usual. It's probably a good idea to wait until 2023 for a definitive announcement of who is on the roster.

I don't know how this team system will work out, but the more MMA the better

i didn't say they would announce it. i said none exists yet.

that's alot of free agents to fill a roster from scratch in a short period of time......

again, until we know where the $ is coming from it's kinda moot. what is lined up.....

z9T3Hg.gif
million-dollar.gif

Like with the Paul's? Watch the most popular? I don't know. Those things are far apart.

Decades ago they put Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris on TV to get the most out of their popularity in martial arts. It's basically the same thing.

No not really. Also, they may be far apart but it doesn't change what the general public is interested in. The point is to generate revenue and market accordingly. I'm curious to see what happens. It will likely flop horribly but it will be interesting to see what approach is taken, especially within individual franchises.

Sorry, but at this point in the MMA landscape talented stars is needed to gain any traction what so ever. By the time you ever build fighters up your so upside down it doesn't matter. The standards of the org and how they are going about it is very interesting. Now can they get legit stars in the UFC to actually come fight for them when contracts come up is a completely different story and they will have to succeed at that part to ever get viewership to care.

UFC is basically the NFL, good luck for anyone trying to find a niche in that market of professional football. UFC at this point gives mma fans so much content throughout the year that most fans don't need anymore MMA. That is tuff barrier to break now.

Last edited:
No not really. Also, they may be far apart but it doesn't change what the general public is interested in. The point is to generate revenue and market accordingly. I'm curious to see what happens. It will likely flop horribly but it will be interesting to see what approach is taken, especially within individual franchises.

I'm interested in their approach as well. And the point is that. It's just the tools to get there. Like, what are you offering? Is why the IFL flopped.

You know what doesn't really work in MMA? Leagues.

You know what else doesn't really work in MMA? Teams.

Lets see how this teams and leagues thing goes.

The franchise idea is interesting though, Maybe group of fighters can find investor or somehow split the cost and find some sort of success.

The franchise idea is interesting though, Maybe group of fighters can find investor or somehow split the cost and find some sort of success.
Would be interesting as franchises would be competing against each other for fighters and would push salaries up, ala how most soccer, basketball, and other team sports work these daysThat is if it takes off and big money gets behind each franchise.

I would most compare it to F1 since they are both individual sports.

New Info about the league

* The organization will launch initially with 8 mens weight classes (135, 145, 155, 170, 185, 205, 225, 265).

*Team owners will vote on when female divisions will joining.

* Amongst the many current issues that the WFL will aim to remedy is extreme weight cutting.

* Each team will compete in six regular season competitions alternating between home and away events with four weeks between regular season competitions and five weeks between playoff competitions.

* Each event will have eight fights, one bout at each weight class between a home team athlete vs. away team athlete.

* Every fight will have a total of four points available (four points for a finish win, three points for a decision win, two points for a draw, one point for a decision loss, zero points for finish loss).

* Highest team total wins the league championship, however, the individual weight-class results determines who advances to the playoffs and their respective seeding.
  1. I am told WFL officials have been meeting with a lot of prospective owners lately. Potentially, some recognizable faces to MMA fans will be attached.
https://arielhelwani.substack.com/p/max-holloway-vs-yair-rodrguez-doesnt

Back