New Mexico

Where in NM do you live?

• Total voters
Currently living in Alamogordo, not by choice but I make the best of it. been in new mexico for 2 years.

Hi guise. Longtime ABQ resident checking in. I know this city gets a lot of hate but I embrace it. I live in the city but can be in the mountains in 10 minutes. Not a big drinker by any means but as others have stated, plenty of breweries if you're into that. For MMA fans, it's cool to run into fighters all the time. I got to meet overeem and BJ at a bar recently. Bones, cowboy,Villasenor, jardine, sanchez and others can be seen lifting weights at the gym I work out at. I saw Condit at lowe's buying paint 2 days after losing to GSP.

I have made some friends on here and even arranged a few meat ups. @Dizzy @Jesse Pinkman @Timetravel_0 @syct23

Lol Literally a month ago I watched Jon jones try to start his car with a breathalyzer outside a Starbucks from my office.

Also @Heisenberg is my dude. One of my favorite folks and we only made friends because of sherdog.

Holloman but worked at white sands. I'm not active anymore but the wife is, I'm just a well paid contractor now.

I think we're leaving early next year but nothing certain yet.

What is a good staging ground for visits?
Well it depends on what you want to see, I don't know as much about the northern part of the state. Ruidoso is a huge tourism spot with the horse races and snow skiing, we have the caverns in Carlsbad where I'm at, white sands near Alamogordo. Old Lincoln and all the Billy the kid stuff...

my rents owned a house in silver city. probably one of the most boring states i've ever been too lol. great nature and hiking, but thats about it

My wife has family in Silver city

I was born and raised in NM but I lived in Portland, OR for a few years and moved back to NM. When people complain about NM being boring, it's safe to assume they're just boring people. There's plenty of things to do. For example, recently in one day, I took my kids to a 8000 foot high volcano where you hike into the crater, an ice cave that's covered in ice year round because it never gets above 31 degrees, a national monument where there are "ancient" native american ruins and there are inscriptions in the sandstone from 400 years ago from Spanish explorers, and a wolf sanctuary that George RR Martin helps fund.

I was born and raised in NM but I lived in Portland, OR for a few years and moved back to NM. When people complain about NM being boring, it's safe to assume they're just boring people. There's plenty of things to do. For example, recently in one day, I took my kids to a 8000 foot high volcano where you hike into the crater, an ice cave that's covered in ice year round because it never gets above 31 degrees, a national monument where there are "ancient" native american ruins and there are inscriptions in the sandstone from 400 years ago from Spanish explorers, and a wolf sanctuary that George RR Martin helps fund.
yeah but these are not things you do everyday.

any place you go has sites to see...thats not what people are talking about when they say "boring".
its the everyday activities...the casual walking and exploring...

who goes to the volcano every day?

if you are more of a homebody that just goes out every once and a while then I see your point.

people like me go out all the time. I love my house but I like meeting people and exploring the city. looking at things...seeing new projects and whatever is new in a evolving city.

abq is a borefest and most of it looks ghetto.

the culture also sucks. its too plain. the food is good but most of everything else is kinda trashy.

the first time I went to the area around UNM......everyone looked miserable..

I couldnt imagine going to school there unless you were strictly all about education only.

just my opinion ofcourse.

yeah but these are not things you do everyday.

any place you go has sites to see...thats not what people are talking about when they say "boring".
its the everyday activities...the casual walking and exploring...

who goes to the volcano every day?

if you are more of a homebody that just goes out every once and a while then I see your point.

people like me go out all the time. I love my house but I like meeting people and exploring the city. looking at things...seeing new projects and whatever is new in a evolving city.

abq is a borefest and most of it looks ghetto.

the culture also sucks. its too plain. the food is good but most of everything else is kinda trashy.

the first time I went to the area around UNM......everyone looked miserable..

I couldnt imagine going to school there unless you were strictly all about education only.

just my opinion ofcourse.

To each his own. I'm sure you have your reasons for hating ABQ and nothing will change that. But, the bottom line is that there is plenty to do in ABQ if you're willing to look for it. ABQ is not a big city but it is big enough to cater to anyone's interests.

All I know about Albuquerque is that I once stopped by there to get some Tamales from an old Mexican lady on the street and some Cold Stones. Both were good shit.

I like New Mexico and have spent lots of time there, Las Cruces, ABQ and all parts in between. Very peaceful, serene and somewhat spiritual once you get outside the main cities. Best sunsets of anywhere I've ever been.

Was in ABQ for a month back in 2008 visiting a friend, and found a cool MMA bar, I forget the name. Apparently all the staff were fighters, and the owner was one of their mother's. I'd been there getting my fill for a few hours, when all the crew showed up. They were playing TUF on the screens and being the stranger, I couldn't resist, "This is all fake! Those :eek::eek::eek:s are dry humping each other!. I could kick their asses right now!" lol Got the staff all riled up, right quick. Ended up making a few friends and having a great night. ABQ doesn't suck, and neither does the rest of NM.

To each his own. I'm sure you have your reasons for hating ABQ and nothing will change that. But, the bottom line is that there is plenty to do in ABQ if you're willing to look for it. ABQ is not a big city but it is big enough to cater to anyone's interests.
Yeah, I can't believe anyone who claims they've explored the city finds nothing interesting or that there's no culture.

Live in El Paso but I work in New Mexico. I get to see some beautiful stuff in the middle of the desert. Something very peaceful about wide open desert.

I run the biggest bjj gym in the state. If you are a fan of MMA come up on a Friday night to Gracie Barra on San Pedro. All the pros from Jacksons come over and we have a crazy open mat.

I can't wait to, I'm a purple under Jeff in El Paso. Once I get back from vacation I'm gonna try to come up once a month to your ridiculous no gi nights.

Hi guise. Longtime ABQ resident checking in. I know this city gets a lot of hate but I embrace it. I live in the city but can be in the mountains in 10 minutes. Not a big drinker by any means but as others have stated, plenty of breweries if you're into that. For MMA fans, it's cool to run into fighters all the time. I got to meet overeem and BJ at a bar recently. Bones, cowboy,Villasenor, jardine, sanchez and others can be seen lifting weights at the gym I work out at. I saw Condit at lowe's buying paint 2 days after losing to GSP.

I have made some friends on here and even arranged a few meat ups. @Dizzy @Jesse Pinkman @Timetravel_0 @syct23
Bud?

Back