New Marcelo Garcia Academy Opening Day

Ummm :rolleyes: ...

Jon Satava Purple NoGi World Champion, Boston Open Champion 2nd Place Absolute Abu Pro Trials Middleweight champion 2nd Place Absolute NoGi Pan Ams Absolute Champion 3rd Place Middleweight

Mansher Khera Purple Belt Lightweight NoGi Pan Ams 3rd Place NoGI Worlds 3rd Place

Henrique Rezende BlackBelt NoGi Light Feather Pan Am and World Champion.

This is just some of the bigger wins from some of his guys from the school. Also these accomplishments happened when we were training out of child party room in Chelsea Piers and a Zumba dance studio on 57th st. I don't know what bigger impact you need?

I wasn't implying MG's team hasn't had an impact, it was meant as a very, very high compliment to MG and the atmosphere he's built at that place. EVEN IF there was nothing to speak of in competition terms, it is one of the most fun, dynamic places I've ever trained.

True. I also didn't mean to come off as attacking but it's just gets annoying when reading some threads on sherdog about MG and someone always comments that his students haven't done anything in competition when in fact they have but it's just not really talked about since the guys are not really big names yet. The school is still somewhat young but def maturing, hopefully this year we will have multiple Gi world champions from out school.

I know this was a critique of the academy, but like I said, my comment was mean entirely as a compliment to what you guys have going on. Outside of my visit to Cavaca's in Santos, I've never seen anything quite as awesome as what MG is NYC has going on.

Marcelo just seems like the happiest guy in NYC.

I visited the Chelsea Pier location once and it seems like a really great group of people and a really positive training environment.

Congratulations!

Are there any hotels or hostels near by his new academy?

do they still rent out bunks?

There's a hostel on the upper west side that charges like 25 a night for a bunk. It's probably about a 15 minute trip on the subway

Never heard of the Marcel guy in the video. His movement on the mat seemed pretty decent though, at least by East Coast standards.

Never heard of the Marcel guy in the video. His movement on the mat seemed pretty decent though, at least by East Coast standards.

Agreed. People only know of him because he is married to Gabi Garcia. I think if that wasn't the case maybe 10% of those training at his place would be training there. Does he even compete?

I know this was a critique of the academy, but like I said, my comment was mean entirely as a compliment to what you guys have going on. Outside of my visit to Cavaca's in Santos, I've never seen anything quite as awesome as what MG is NYC has going on.

Oh Ok yeah I misread what you said. I've train at alot of different places and glad I can call his school home

JCASH has his own VIP toilet at marcelo's..true story

Everytime these Marcelo vids make me smile, i will have to train there sometime.

It's awesome!!! You can't make an excuse not to train it's fit almost 95% of people's schedule. I train usually 7am and 7pm. Soon in the next few months their might be 7am classes everyday. It's also great because those classes usually still have a good turnout not as big as say the 12:30 or 7pm Marcelo classes but still pretty decent 7am crew usually has about 10-15 people and 9pm depends on the day usually about 10-15 on nogi days and close to 10 on gi days.

It's awesome!!! You can't make an excuse not to train it's fit almost 95% of people's schedule. I train usually 7am and 7pm. Soon in the next few months their might be 7am classes everyday. It's also great because those classes usually still have a good turnout not as big as say the 12:30 or 7pm Marcelo classes but still pretty decent 7am crew usually has about 10-15 people and 9pm depends on the day usually about 10-15 on nogi days and close to 10 on gi days.

That really is awesome. Having late classes is great because it allows professionals to get in the hours they need at work and, at least in LA, also makes it possible for people to come from further away because they can avoid rush hour. I know that helps a lot of people make it to Cobrinha's 8:00 to 9:30 advanced classes.

That really is awesome. Having late classes is great because it allows professionals to get in the hours they need at work and, at least in LA, also makes it possible for people to come from further away because they can avoid rush hour. I know that helps a lot of people make it to Cobrinha's 8:00 to 9:30 advanced classes.

Yeah 8pm class sounds awesome only thing it makes it hard to go to bed sometimes cause you get home pretty late. I know the purple belts who train on Monday night 8pm expert class and train at 7am on tuesday morning complain about that alot. I'm a working professional and one of the reasons I choose Marcelos was because of the schedule and the instructors who would be teaching outside of Marcelos classes

Yeah 8pm class sounds awesome only thing it makes it hard to go to bed sometimes cause you get home pretty late. I know the purple belts who train on Monday night 8pm expert class and train at 7am on tuesday morning complain about that alot. I'm a working professional and one of the reasons I choose Marcelos was because of the schedule and the instructors who would be teaching outside of Marcelos classes

Yeah that's a tough transition from the Monday night to Tuesday morning, but my old a$$ has to keep up with you kid. I love the Wednesday 9pm advanced no-gi its a great class but doesn't end till 10 and by the time I get home and fall asleep its practically time for Thursday morning 7am. I think that's probably the toughest transition. Loved the turn out this morning. We have to keep 7am big and keep bugging them to add Monday's

Are there a lot of newbies joining since the start of the new year? I'm thinking of signing up and starting there. I just realized its near my work!

Are there a lot of newbies joining since the start of the new year? I'm thinking of signing up and starting there. I just realized its near my work!

There have been a good deal of new faces. Come in and check it out, no pressure to join right away, you can try out a class or two and see if you think its for you. I hihgly recommend 7am, nice small class size

Yeah that's a tough transition from the Monday night to Tuesday morning, but my old a$$ has to keep up with you kid. I love the Wednesday 9pm advanced no-gi its a great class but doesn't end till 10 and by the time I get home and fall asleep its practically time for Thursday morning 7am. I think that's probably the toughest transition. Loved the turn out this morning. We have to keep 7am big and keep bugging them to add Monday's

why dont you two just get a hotel room

Back