New Marcelo Garcia Academy Opening Day

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by JCASHDAKID, Jan 4, 2013.

1. JCASHDAKID

JCASHDAKID Green Belt

2. kying418

kying418 Blue Belt

Awesome video- thanks for sharing!

As many might not know, it has been a very long and difficult 4+ months for Marcelo. His original academy in NYC suffered a flood when the upstair tenant's pipe burst- ruining his gym (mats, floor, etc). He then scrambled to find temporary space in Manhattan. This wasn't the easiest task, as there are very few open floor spaces in NYC willing to accept the liability of allowing hundreds of people to train martial arts. (With Hurricane Sandy, this temporary spot was also flooded, and once again, he lost most of his mats in the flood)

3. tim18t

tim18t Blue Belt

Man I'm real jelous of that crowd

4. Alonbenav

Alonbenav Green Belt

Can't wait to drop in sometime this year.

What an amazing thing MG has built in NYC! Even if none of his guys made an impact on the competition scene, don't tell me you wouldn't train there in a second if you could.

5. MikeOmo

MikeOmo Blue Belt

What does impact on the competition scene mean to you Alonbenav?

Marcelo is the man!

6. JCASHDAKID

JCASHDAKID Green Belt

Ummm :rolleyes: ...

Jon Satava Purple NoGi World Champion, Boston Open Champion 2nd Place Absolute Abu Pro Trials Middleweight champion 2nd Place Absolute NoGi Pan Ams Absolute Champion 3rd Place Middleweight

Mansher Khera Purple Belt Lightweight NoGi Pan Ams 3rd Place NoGI Worlds 3rd Place

Henrique Rezende BlackBelt NoGi Light Feather Pan Am and World Champion.

This is just some of the bigger wins from some of his guys from the school. Also these accomplishments happened when we were training out of child party room in Chelsea Piers and a Zumba dance studio on 57th st. I don't know what bigger impact you need?

7. taylonr

taylonr White Belt

I think it was more of a hypothetical. Like "Even IF none of his guys did anything, it would still be an amazing place to train."

8. JCASHDAKID

JCASHDAKID Green Belt

True. I also didn't mean to come off as attacking but it's just gets annoying when reading some threads on sherdog about MG and someone always comments that his students haven't done anything in competition when in fact they have but it's just not really talked about since the guys are not really big names yet. The school is still somewhat young but def maturing, hopefully this year we will have multiple Gi world champions from out school.

9. GordoBarraBJJ

GordoBarraBJJ Yellow Card Yellow Card

Are there any hotels or hostels near by his new academy?

do they still rent out bunks?

10. JCASHDAKID

JCASHDAKID Green Belt

I don't think they rent out bunks. I know there is a hotel (Holiday Inn) located fairly close 3 minute walk away on 26th street. Pretty much the location is convenient for transportation it's on W 26th street between 7th and 8th. So you have Penn Station a few minutes away by walking or 1 minute via train. The C/E train (23rd st) is right around the corner and the 1 train is 2 blocks away. Plus on 6th ave you have the M,N and I think the F/B/D

11. GordoBarraBJJ

GordoBarraBJJ Yellow Card Yellow Card

oh okay,

i had been told, at least at the old academy, that they rented out bunks.

Visiting the MG academy is on my list for 2013.

12. JCASHDAKID

JCASHDAKID Green Belt

You can call and ask I honestly don't know how it works. I was always under the assumptions that the bunks at the apartment were just for visiting teammates from Alliance SP, and Florida students. I don't know if there are like available for like hostel style renting but I could be wrong.

13. trustdoesntrust

trustdoesntrust Purple Belt

I trained there for a few days while on vacation last year and, man, they had some serious killers on the mat, especially the purple belts I rolled with. Death by a thousand north/south chokes. The atmosphere is so intense with the crowded space and all the out-of-towners that roll through-- seems like a good recipe to get a lot better in a short time. I also found Marcelo to be a tremendous instructor (as well as the dude with the glasses from California, can't remember his name), as I was able to successfully implement the techniques I learned the second I returned back home.

I wouldn't be surprised to see his/your academy dominating brown and black competitions in a couple of years once the academy fully matures.

14. JCASHDAKID

JCASHDAKID Green Belt

Yeah we have so many visitors its pretty insane. Even on the opening day we had people come visit atleast 10-15 out of towners. I agree we have a solid group of purples and some blues coming up the ranks. Not too many of the browns compete most are recreational and the black belts that compete are Henrique, Alex M. and Paul. The dude you mentioned was Paul Schriener he was teaching the fundamentals class in the video. He is a really good teacher and person with a great explanations for any position. Hope you get a chance to come back and visit I go by Cash IRL aswell.

15. s4ca

s4ca Yellow Belt

JCASH shoutin' out the Florida MG crew, good lookin' out! See you guys next month if all goes well. Take some FL sunshine to the city, lol. Vic

16. SquatMoar

SquatMoar White Belt

Cash, did you see Satava smashing me at around the 9 min mark?

17. JCASHDAKID

JCASHDAKID Green Belt

Of course I have to shout out my Florida brothers!! Haha It is so cold right now I hate it. I moved to Sunnyside and the 7 train is outside :eek: man can't wait for you guys to come up are you guys coming around the same time as promotions? I think their going have a grand opening party thing too next month.

Hahaha yeah thankfully there is no video/pictures of my roll with him. Pretty much one minute of me trying to pass and 6 minutes of me trying to escape armbars, getting swept and crying in a corner.

18. s4ca

s4ca Yellow Belt

Yaa boi!!!! I used to live in Jackson Heights back in the day, just thinking of the cold wind howling on the platform makes me shiver. We usually go in March and December at least, maybe one around summer. I'm going to PR in March, so I want to bump the NYC trip up to Feb. Would be nice to try and coordinate for the grand opening!

19. JCASHDAKID

JCASHDAKID Green Belt

Promotion night is Wed Feb 20th and Grand Opening will be announced soon I think their waiting to finishing building stuff and installing wall mats so prob be in 3-4 weeks is my guess

20. Estebanantonio

Estebanantonio Green Belt

Marcelo seams like a really cool guy such a soft spoken humble person. If I lived in new york I would definately want to train at his place.