New LW rankings

Lol that’s exactly what Fighter Kevin Lee would say

“it makes sense, I see holes in his game” haha
He then loses and says man we need 165 pounds. I just can't win at 155 or 170 lol

That's not how it works.
Donald Cerrone also beat a lot of guys in the past. Should Makhachev be ranked number 6 if he beats Cerrone?
Kevin Lee came from the welterweight and got a present by a number 10 spot which he didn't deserve.
Then he gets a number 8 place by beating the number 11.
Now Oliveira is number 6 by beating only Kevin Lee who didn't even deserve his spot in the ranking.
There is a heavy recency bias in rankings, but it's not based on someone's last fight alone. Everything has a historical context about it. Does this really need to be reviewed? Cuz we can:

Before Apr 2018: Barboza had last lost to Khabib and is ranked #5. (Should he not have been?). Kevin Lee just lost to Tony in an interim title fight and was ranked #6 (Was this an incorrect ranking?)
After Apr 2018: Kevin Lee finishes Barboza and they switch spots.

Before Dec 2018: Iaqunita is ranked #8 and just lost the title match against Khabib he filled in for. Kevin Lee is now ranked #4 after Eddie left. (Are either of these rankings incorrect?
After Dec 2018: Kevin Lee loses a close competitive fight. Al gets #4, Kevin drops back to #5. (You can argue that Kevin should have dropped more than Al raised, but Barboza was still #6 here, so who else would be above them?)

May 2019: After 2 close losses, Kevin moves up and fights RDA, who was ranked #3 at WW, and gets tapped. (Should returning to lightweight mean he should start over? Where would he come back in the rankings? It was the #5 LW vs the #3 WW at WW. His fighting at WW should drop him, which is why he was much lower upon his return.)

Before Nov 2019: Gregor Gillespie was basically in the same position Islam is now, except he hadn't been knocked out yet. He was ranked #11.
After Nov 2019: Kevin Lee knocks out Gregor impressively and moves to #8. (Is that too high? I might actually agree here, because Iaquinta was #9 after losing to Hooker and Kevin maybe should have still been behind him? But Barboza was now #10 after losing to Felder. All three guys had been losing, so they were dropping from where they were, but Kevin had just pulled a ranked win out of the top15, so let me know where you think he should have been.)

So when Do Bronx beats #8 Kevin Lee here, you don't think he should have taken his #8 spot?

These are the rankings after Charles beat Kevin. Do you dispute these rankings as they are? If so, please fix it for me, I'd like to see what you think.
mwHTHUv.png

Or are you saying that, since that time, there have been bigger/better wins for people that should be above Charles? If so, what were they?

That's probably a typho or something. Felder should be No. 7 if both of them are No. 6

Felder caved his face in already

CDF has a more impressive stureak IMO as well. I don't see why there is even a tie. That's just stupid RDA should be above

I wasn't arguing Dariush or Makhachev should be ranked over him ATM just that they'd both clearly beat him. RDA/Felder/CDF should be ranked ahead tho
See, I'm getting torn between arguments in this thread. I've got Guy A saying Felder shouldn't even be ranked, Guy B saying old wins just don't matter, and I've got this, so I'll try to not mix points here, since they're not your arguments. You're saying that Felder, RDA, and CFD should be above him? We can go over, but I'm probably gonna overtype like I always do.

1. Yeah, Felder did beat Charles. I think if two guys are on similar trajectories after meeting, you kinda have to default to the previous winner being above, cuz the loser has to make up more ground. As long as both are fighting and competing, even if they both go on streaks, the loser shouldn't really surpass the winner, but Felder's 2-3 run, while pretty vaulted in opposition, just can't be enough for him to keep his ranking over Charles, who went 7-0 since. Do Bronx went backwards just as he should have, and built himself back up. So I gotta disagree on that one.

2. I do think RDA should be above Charles, but at the same time, is still in a similar stratosphere for what they need to do to get a title shot. RDA's win over Felder should establish him really well, but I don't think getting 1 win over the likes of Tony, Dustin, Conor, or Justin should get him a title shot. He's probably gotta get 2 ahead of him. If Charles gets a fight with any of those guys and wins, (which I have much less suspicion of happening), he also should probably get 1 more win, but I wouldn't be surprised if some considered that enough for the title shot. So as far as ranking goes, you could flip either of them, and I wouldn't think it's blasphemy or anything.

3. CDF's losses were more damning at the time. Only now in retrospect are losses to Dustin (in his LW debut) and Dariush (2 fights removed from the Ramsey loss) not really that bad today. I actually really like Carlos' current run; ignoring throwaway names like Jared Gordon and Kyle Nelson, OAM was a good win for a while as Carlos was the 1 loss in a 7-1 window of his career and only looks less strong now, Rustam was on a 6 fight win streak which should have deserved a step up in comp and a maybe fringe ranking but wasn't ranked at the time, same exact story with Taisumov, and a good name in Pettis. Pettis did have a lingering WW ranking after his fluke against Wonderboy, but I think too many people just see him as washed at this point. So 2 solid just-outside-15 guys and a dropping top15 WW should have him ranked pretty high, but Do Bronx's could carry just a bit more divisional relevance. Guida, Miller, and Lentz were basically just hollowed good names, but they all were coming off some degree of forward momentum, Gordon and Giagos are throwaway names, but David Teymur was a hot prospect also in that "Long streak over low/mid-range guys" and fringe just like those two guys above, except as a striker, and Kevin Lee, was far more notable and relevant than where Pettis was at. I find CDF's wins more respectable, but just slightly less divisionally relevant.

I agree ties are dumb though. Personally, I don't even like seeing rankings as hardset "You are #5" or #8 or w/e. If I could recreate rankings, in my mind, I'd think of them more like 'soft-caps' with a range. So, yeah, you'd be #5, but what that means is, you should be fighting somewhere between the likes of #2-9, depending on your current momentum. The more you're winning, the more ahead your range should be of your current number. So, for example, absolutely put RDA at #6 and Bronx #7. But RDA, returning to some pretty open rankings, should have booking range as wide as #1 to #10, while Charles' streak should have less backwards options, so something like #2 or 3 to #8.

That's probably a typho or something. Felder should be No. 7 if both of them are No. 6
Nah man. Ties never erase the next spot. Say in the Olympics two guys tie for gold, the next guy gets bronze. That's just how it's always been. Cuz think of it, if there's 2 people at 6, there's still 7 people ahead of you, so how you can be 7?

In any case, that's rather a meteoric rise in the the rankings for RDA. Not that far from a title shot at all.
Yeah, it was pretty lucky to actually have a higher ranked fill-in opponent. That's pretty unusual, but it benefited him greatly.

Sure big guy
I didn't insult you, so you shouldn't insult me. I just said Islam should go fuck himself because i have interest seeing him maul mismatched opponents. I made no mention of your name. Agree to disagree respectfully. Or otherwise leave me alone, please. Can't be imsulting me over a fighter. Come on, now.

I didn't insult you, so you shouldn't insult me. I just said Islam should go fuck himself because i have interest seeing him maul mismatched opponents. I made no mention of your name. Agree to disagree respectfully. Or otherwise leave me alone, please. Can't be imsulting me over a fighter. Come on, now.

You're quite the sensitive guy for someone who tells fighters to fuck themselves

<{1-11}>

he fights once a year like hes some big shot or something. f him.
He kinda is, #6 ranked fighter, been campaigning for months to fight a top 5 opponent only to get offered guys like Dariush. But yes “f” one of the most exciting guys on the roster. If UFC and Tony were smart they’d book that fight.

Nah man. Ties never erase the next spot. Say in the Olympics two guys tie for gold, the next guy gets bronze. That's just how it's always been. Cuz think of it, if there's 2 people at 6, there's still 7 people ahead of you, so how you can be 7?

Yeah, it was pretty lucky to actually have a higher ranked fill-in opponent. That's pretty unusual, but it benefited him greatly.
I agree on both counts.

There is a heavy recency bias in rankings, but it's not based on someone's last fight alone. Everything has a historical context about it. Does this really need to be reviewed? Cuz we can:

Before Apr 2018: Barboza had last lost to Khabib and is ranked #5. (Should he not have been?). Kevin Lee just lost to Tony in an interim title fight and was ranked #6 (Was this an incorrect ranking?)
After Apr 2018: Kevin Lee finishes Barboza and they switch spots.

Before Dec 2018: Iaqunita is ranked #8 and just lost the title match against Khabib he filled in for. Kevin Lee is now ranked #4 after Eddie left. (Are either of these rankings incorrect?
After Dec 2018: Kevin Lee loses a close competitive fight. Al gets #4, Kevin drops back to #5. (You can argue that Kevin should have dropped more than Al raised, but Barboza was still #6 here, so who else would be above them?)

May 2019: After 2 close losses, Kevin moves up and fights RDA, who was ranked #3 at WW, and gets tapped. (Should returning to lightweight mean he should start over? Where would he come back in the rankings? It was the #5 LW vs the #3 WW at WW. His fighting at WW should drop him, which is why he was much lower upon his return.)

Before Nov 2019: Gregor Gillespie was basically in the same position Islam is now, except he hadn't been knocked out yet. He was ranked #11.
After Nov 2019: Kevin Lee knocks out Gregor impressively and moves to #8. (Is that too high? I might actually agree here, because Iaquinta was #9 after losing to Hooker and Kevin maybe should have still been behind him? But Barboza was now #10 after losing to Felder. All three guys had been losing, so they were dropping from where they were, but Kevin had just pulled a ranked win out of the top15, so let me know where you think he should have been.)

So when Do Bronx beats #8 Kevin Lee here, you don't think he should have taken his #8 spot?

These are the rankings after Charles beat Kevin. Do you dispute these rankings as they are? If so, please fix it for me, I'd like to see what you think.
mwHTHUv.png

Or are you saying that, since that time, there have been bigger/better wins for people that should be above Charles? If so, what were they?

Conor McGregor in that list proves that the list is one big scam.
He hasn't won a fight in lightweight for more than 4 years and is ranked number 4.
I don't agree with you that if you beat a guy in the past and loose to someone else you should automatically still be in front of that guy that you beat more than a year ago.

The rest of your comment makes sense.

Islam vs felder , lee,Al, CDF...are the only fights to make for him...one of them.will sign

Conor McGregor in that list proves that the list is one big scam.
He hasn't won a fight in lightweight for more than 4 years and is ranked number 4.
I don't agree with you that if you beat a guy in the past and loose to someone else you should automatically still be in front of that guy that you beat more than a year ago.

The rest of your comment makes sense.
I explain it better in another post, it's not automatic, just usual process if you've had similar trajectories. Usually, if you lose a match, you shouldn't be getting bigger opponents than the winner in the near future unless he loses. And if you both lose, he should still be generally getting better opponents than you (unless he was just completely dominated or something). Like if we're 2018, and you beat me, then we both beat like Dustin & Eddie but lose to Khabib & Tony, I'd still think you'd probably be above me.

Course, not everything's equal, and over time, that becomes easier to judge. For a long time, Claudio Silva hadn't lost since beating Leon Edwards, but with Edwards having gone 10-1 since then, of course he had to pass him at some point.

But yeah, fucking Conor should be off that list.

It's pointless wasting a top guy on Islam when the guys only gonna pull out at some point anyway.

Let him settle for borderline top 10, if he makes it to the fight then he can have a top 5.

You're quite the sensitive guy for someone who tells fighters to fuck themselves

<{1-11}>
Very sensitive. I'm so upset. I'm crying right now
It's funny, you're ragging on me. I'm usually on your side dawg, bruh wtf is this? <45>I like islam as a fighter. But I'm just not down with the matches he's pursuing. Simple. I know people duck him. I know he's had trouble getting a fight, but what will old man rda offer in terms of challenge? How will Dan hooker challenge him? He'll fuck both of them up and we'll all walk way feeling cheated because the fight was predictable and didn't teach us anything about the guy.

Both guys are take down liabilities and maulings waiting to happen. You know who I'm really mad at? Cdf. Wasn't he linked with rda months ago before going radio silent? That's someone who i think could at least handle islam makachev.

These other guys will look like barboza did against khabib. It'd be number one bullshit.

Last edited:
I don't understand why Oliveira is number 6?
He has 1 win over Kevin Lee and is number 6?
Oliveira has a long winning streak and Lee was ranked in the top 10 at the time. Oliveira should probably be ranked higher.

Back