New knife: I know in general what I want

Discussion in 'Weapons and Tactics' started by xRCx, Sep 15, 2010.

1. xRCx

xRCx Blue Belt

I was wondering if you guys could help figure out specifically what I should get based on the following criteria, and where you suggest I purchase from (online).
    Here's what I'm looking for:

5 or 6 inch blade
    Stainless steel
    Full tang
    drop point
    Around $100, preferably less (though I could go up to $125ish if the quality is really that much more awesome).

Thanks!

2. Yakobi

Yakobi Green Belt

3. Futz Brown

Futz Brown Purple Belt

A guy I know is a HUGE knife collector, his house is being foreclosed and he still spends at least half of his paycheck on knives. He usually buys his shit on ebay, and he's big on Cold Steel.

I personally have one knife, it's a Gerber, it was like 25 dollars and is sharp, reliable, stylish, couldn't ask for anything more.

I'm not about to shop for you, but those are two brands that I know to be quality. I suggest you browse their online catalogues, find a few that suit your needs, and then scour ebay until you find what you're looking for.

4. Bruce Lee Fan

Bruce Lee Fan Blue Belt

What will it be used for? If you go 6 " blade, look for a fixed blade knife, if you want a folder that size I like Cold Steel for it's quality and price. As for a folder, I like Benchmade, expensive so 2nd would be Spyderco...great quality and price...first off define it's mission, that get the tool to fulfill that mission...

5. Armycombative

Armycombative White Belt

somewhere between hell and a hand grenade
    I'm a big fan of Benchmade.

6. Todd Gack

Todd Gack Dutch

Love my mini-griptilian.

Looking at getting something in a FFG soon after buying a new FFG Delica for my buddy's 40th.

7. xRCx

xRCx Blue Belt

Sorry I forgot to mention, fixed blade is part of the criteria as well.
    I'm building my bug-out bag, so it's an all-purpose utility/survival knife.

Thanks for the responses so far, already helpful.

8. neosatus

neosatus Black Belt

RoadsideImports LLC

I got my Microtech from this dude. I'd recommend one of those but they're more than your price range. He has tons of stuff though, so maybe he has what you're after. He hates Benchmade though, lol. So, forewarned. He's way cool though.

9. Yakobi

Yakobi Green Belt

Here's my BoB knife, a BK2. It's a beast at .25 inches thick, flat-grind, and carbon steel. This blade is a great all-around, in-the-woods-survival knife.
    I replaced the scales with micarta and dyed them OD green, and replaced the cap screws with SS with SS nylock nuts. I'm working on modifying the sheath to incorporate the allen wrench, a firesteel, and maybe a smaller necker type blade.

[​IMG]

I highly recommend the bladeforums site for alot of very useful info.

10. Yakobi

Yakobi Green Belt

My very first mini-grip is on it's way to my house right now from amazon. I can't wait to get it! :icon_chee

11. ChuckSteak

ChuckSteak Purple Belt

I a big fan of the KaBar BK2.

https://www.kabar.com/product_detail.jsp?productNumber=BK2

It's built like a brick shithouse and will most likely out last you in a survival situation. The price in that link is $100+ but you can find them online for around $65. It's not stainless like you requested, but the 1095 it's made of is probably the most common steel used for these types of knives and it's used for a reason....it's tough, holds a decent edge and is easy to sharpen.

12. ChuckSteak

ChuckSteak Purple Belt

Beat me to it. Great knife. And I like your mods, it looks awesome. Where did you get the handles and how did you dye then OD?

13. Yakobi

Yakobi Green Belt

Got the scales at Tomars KaBars. Used RIT dye from Wal-Mart to dye them. Just add the powdered dye to hot water, soak the scales for a few minutes and viola'.

Here's my latest creation BTW:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My JAB 'Baconmaker' hog knife. I custom ground the tang, polished some of the blade, and added homemade bocote wood scales...(my first homemade wood scales btw) :icon_chee

14. Todd Gack

Todd Gack Dutch

What colour did you get? And is it a plain edge?

15. Yakobi

Yakobi Green Belt

I really wanted the OD handles, and after looking around and only finding them on amazon, i went ahead and got the blackened, combo edge version.
    I would have preferred the straight plain though.....but it's all good.

16. Todd Gack

Todd Gack Dutch

Nice. It was my first EDC blade so I don't have much to compare it to but I've been quite pleased with it.

17. Yakobi

Yakobi Green Belt

^yeah, this will be my first quality EDC too. Hopefully i can not lose it like most of the EDC's i get......(which is why i've never owned a quality one until now).

18. ChuckSteak

ChuckSteak Purple Belt

Very nice. Thanks for the info. What color were the scales originally before you dyed them?

19. Yakobi

Yakobi Green Belt

Kind of a grayish/maroonish swirly pattern. It was pretty cool but i wanted to OD them.

20. jlagman

jlagman Duty Belt

If you're dead set on getting a good quality, medium sized, stainless steel fixed blade, you can forget your $125 price cap. For the sake of your budget, I suggest giving good carbon blades a shot, rusting isn't actually all that bad or frequent for the competent knife owner; regular use can stave off rust even before maintenance and prevention, though those shouldn't be overlooked. Lots of modern carbon steel knives also feature some sort of rust inhibiting coating and over the counter sprays and lubricants are readily available and inexpensive. Owning a carbon steel blade isn't as nightmarish as you'd think.