new Kansas law: you must shoot attacker or go to prison

No way this holds up in higher courts. Just some activist gun nut Judge here.

I think a lot of gun nut's would actually not like this either. I grew up with guns but am not a gun nut.

I think most would not like being found guilty for not shooting.

I am not worried about anyone taking away my liberties, because that is not going to happen. Really, it just isn't.

They already have odog. They already have.

Compassion and preservation of life just take a back seat to gun love.

It's absurd. Just absolutely moronic and terrifying.

Compassion for home invaders? If their motive is to rape and murder your family? I think having an intruder in your home would be terrifying.

I think a lot of gun nut's would actually not like this either. I grew up with guns but am not a gun nut.

I think most would not like being found guilty for not shooting.

Point taken. Could be an anti-gun nut activist judge. Either way, this ain't standing once it hits the higher courts on appeals.

Compassion for home invaders? If their motive is to rape and murder your family? I think having an intruder in your home would be terrifying.

Rape and murder in a home invasion is not part of my reality. I've known a few people whose homes have been invaded and they weren't raped and murdered. Their things were stolen and they had insurance. Home invaders in the US show up packing in case they encounter people with guns.

I don't believe guns prevent crime and murder. It's too much of a simplification to look at it from the angle only. But I maintain the belief that the more guns are in circulation, the more it creates a paranoid population and distrust permeates throughout society.

That being said, I'm on the fence about gun laws.

Canada is a little more dangerous than Vermont, and Iowa. About the same as Utah and Idaho. Safer than Maryland and Michigan.

There is not a good correlation between legal gun ownership and how dangerous a place is, there seems to be other Issues involved.

I could try and make the pro-gun argument that a state like Maryland with some of the toughest laws is 400% worse than a state like Vermont that does not require a permit to carry concealed but that would be dishonest. We have gun states like New Mexico that is worse than Delaware.

Now that i have been looking at numbers, what makes Maryland twice as bad as New York? Both are not gun friendly states but Maryland is way more dangerous than New York.

The gun murder rate in the U.S is going down even with more guns in circulation than any other time in history. Our gun violence is mostly an inner city thing. Gun violence cities like Chicago,NYC, and D.C are staying the worst in our nation despite having the strictest gun laws. For the most part out country is a safe place to live in.

Compassion and preservation of life just take a back seat to gun love.

It's absurd. Just absolutely moronic and terrifying.

Compassion for a degenerate that busts into my home that wants to kill me and roar my wife before he kills her too? No thanks. Fuck the fucker

Compassion for a degenerate that busts into my home that wants to kill me and roar my wife before he kills her too? No thanks. Fuck the fucker

This is exactly the kind of paranoia I am talking about

Canada is a country. A big country. A country with major metropolitan areas. And lots of small towns, and lots of rural areas. And everything in between. It's a little different than a state with 600,000 people. Just sayin'

The only states with population in the 600k region is Wyoming and Alaska.

Canada has a smaller population then California. Of course Canada is going to vary by location but that was not what I was getting at.

There does not seem to be as strong of a correlation between gun laws and murder as some would expect on both sides. We have safe places and dangerous places with a lot of guns as well and safe and dangerous places with more control over them.

NU and NT has a very high murder rate, not sure what the cause of that is. both are higher than any state in the USA. MT is similar to the average for the USA, safer than some states and more dangerous than others. NS is a little more dangerous than Idaho. QC is a little more dangerous than Iowa but safer than most states.

There is obviously much more going on than just guns.

if someone broke into my house, im not firing a warning shot.

This is exactly the kind of paranoia I am talking about

It's not paranoia. I would just like to be able to defend myself in a life or death situation. This kind of crime happens, even if it's very rare that it does. I'm not paranoid all day that I will be attacked, but I'm ready in case it does.

Rape and murder in a home invasion is not part of my reality. I've known a few people whose homes have been invaded and they weren't raped and murdered. Their things were stolen and they had insurance. Home invaders in the US show up packing in case they encounter people with guns.

I don't believe guns prevent crime and murder. It's too much of a simplification to look at it from the angle only. But I maintain the belief that the more guns are in circulation, the more it creates a paranoid population and distrust permeates throughout society.

That being said, I'm on the fence about gun laws.

1. Rapes and murder is a real possibility in a home invasion
2. you ever file an insurance claim?

They ask for receipts for everything, then they depreciate it, and hit you with a deductible. You'd be lucky to get 50 percent back of what was stolen.

The gun murder rate in the U.S is going down even with more guns in circulation than any other time in history. Our gun violence is mostly an inner city thing. Gun violence cities like Chicago,NYC, and D.C are staying the worst in our nation despite having the strictest gun laws. For the most part out country is a safe place to live in.

New Mexico bumps the trend in more guns less murder. NM has a high gun ownership rates and low crime. They are not the only gun state with an above average murder rate. New York is safer than New Mexico.

Texas has a high gun ownership rate and is a little bit safer than the average state but is not exceptional. Montana has a high rate of gun ownership and is very safe.

The inner city is a problem but NYC as big cities goes is not that bad, it's murder rate is a bit below the the nation as a whole while Maryland is high. I don't know much about Louisiana but as a state it's numbers have been very bad and have been bad for a very long time.

No, this takes away the freedom for a person to show compassion if that's what they would like to do. When they find themselves in the position of needing to use a gun to defend themselves, but once the gun is out, can control the situation without killing, they should be thrown in jail? Absurdity, sadism. Police find themselves in these situations a lot. Pulling a gun without firing works, and this is not even remotely up for debate. How dare a person force somebody to kill another.

if someone broke into my house, im not firing a warning shot.

I agree with you but if I yelled "I have a gun" when they are trying to break down the door I would hate to be arrested for saying that.

I agree with you but if I yelled "I have a gun" when they are trying to break down the door I would hate to be arrested for saying that.

thing is, the article is from 2010 and i've yet to hear of something that ridiculous out of kansas yet. i don't follow kansas politics and have not had one thought of moving there so i could be completely ignorant to those cases through.

You guys have chosen the most extreme situation and dismissed the idea of compassion. Congrats. If you can't see a myriad situations short of what you described where a threat is preferable to killing someoone to preserve your safety, you 1) have no imagination and 2) possibly just aren't capable of compassion for anyone at all.

A smart criminal would make sure that the home owner either fired the gun and missed, or just yelled something at them .... the home owner would then get arrested for aggravated assault (or whatever the hell this law is about) ... the criminal would then come back when the home owner (and their family) is now out of the house, doing battle in court.

This law is great for criminals that put a little thought into their work.

Back