new Kansas law: you must shoot attacker or go to prison

That was the most civil and sensible gun debate I've ever read.

Literal lol. That's because Buk is my boy, so we can sensibly discuss an issue.

I am so glad I don't live in gun nut country.

It's weird that they can't see how badly it must suck.

I find this law weird as well but I'll live in gun nut country over a gun banning/control state any day.

It amazes me that America doesn't see that they are becoming an international laughing stock, or why.

I am so glad I don't live in gun nut country.

It's weird that they can't see how badly it must suck.

Maybe they can't see it because their crime rates are lower than urban areas with their gun bans.

Why can't people in Chicago and Atlanta see how bad they have it?

It amazes me that America doesn't see that they are becoming an international laughing stock, or why.

Laugh away you snob. We're still the greatest country on earth that people move to so they can live a better life. We don't need to be like anybody else. I'm not agreeing with this law, but I'll take it over places like NYC, Chicago, or most of Europe that try to make it impossible to own a gun.

I find this law weird as well but I'll live in gun nut country over a gun banning/control state any day.

And that is fine. That is what you are familiar with, that is what you prefer. I enjoy a life free of guns. I'm not worried about anyone shooting me. I don't feel the need to protect myself on a daily basis. If I get into an argument with someone , I know they aren't going to draw a pistol on me and shoot me in my face.

I am not worried about anyone taking away my liberties, because that is not going to happen. Really, it just isn't. No, really. And a pistol on my hip wouldn't mean shit.

This is not the people of Kansas for the legislature, it is the courts and the courts can be a strange place at times.

As hard as it is to believe the murder rate is dropping. States like Vermont that does not require a permit to carry concealed, and gun toting states like Utah, Idaho, and Maine have about the same murder rate is Finland.

Also saying a red state is more dangerous is kind of silly, the murder rate does not show a tight tie to being red or blue. The 10 most dangerous states include both red and blue states and so do the 10 safest states.

We will get different results if we look at there the dangerous cities are but as a state Louisiana is the worst but it has been improving. It was twice as bad in the 80's.

Last edited:
I can't imagine this would hold up constitutionally. Leave it to us to have a state that takes a ridiculous gun range anecdote and makes it law.

Compassion and preservation of life just take a back seat to gun love.

It's absurd. Just absolutely moronic and terrifying.

Laugh away you snob. We're still the greatest country on earth that people move to so they can live a better life. We don't need to be like anybody else. I'm not agreeing with this law, but I'll take it over places like NYC, Chicago, or most of Europe that try to make it impossible to own a gun.

Well, I hate to get into semantics, but technically Canada does have a higher rate of social mobility than the States. So, in general, an immigrant does have a better chance of improving their life here than in America.I could probably dig up statistics, but it's late and I can't be bothered.

Funny that as more are out there the murder rate is dropping. We have a violence problem that is getting better each year, not a gun problem. It looks like Illinois would be very safe if we got rid of Chicago and it's suburbs.

Brazil is 500% worse than the USA and 1000% worse than a gun state like Montana.

If we get rid of South America, the Atlantic islands, and Africa we get rid of a large % of the murders in the world.

Again Vermont which does not require anything to carry concealed is safer than Norway.

I'm Canadian and my sister lives in Utah and absolutely loves it. Her and her husband have completely embraced the gun culture and everything that is "typically american" by owning 3 vehicles, several guns and constantly competing to have the greenest lawn on their street (I generalized, I know)

The States have always been one of my favorite destination spots whether it be to see the white peaks of Utah and Washington State, or the Louisiana bayou or Disney World. But every time I'm there I keep saying to myself that i woukd have trouble living there given the absurdity of owning a gun thinking it protects you more. If anything, knowing how many guns are in circulation would only make me more paranoid, and the more material possessions I acquire, the more paranoid I would get. That is exactly what happened to my brother-in-law. So when the world looks upon the US and says "something isn't right with what's going on ovsr there", I tend to agree on that level. But we are influenced by our own cultural biases as well, just like you are for claiming the US is the best country on earth. A Canadian could never make that claim for a country whose number one cause of bankruptcy is because of medical bills. We are using different metrics systems.

Like I said, I love the States, but I'm not sure I would want to live there.

As for this law, I don't quite know what the point of it is. I mean, I know what they're trying to do, but it's just so damn weird.

I love Canada though and think we could learn a lot from our friends north of the border on many things, including firearms.

Canada is a little more dangerous than Vermont, and Iowa. About the same as Utah and Idaho. Safer than Maryland and Michigan.

There is not a good correlation between legal gun ownership and how dangerous a place is, there seems to be other Issues involved.

I could try and make the pro-gun argument that a state like Maryland with some of the toughest laws is 400% worse than a state like Vermont that does not require a permit to carry concealed but that would be dishonest. We have gun states like New Mexico that is worse than Delaware.

Now that i have been looking at numbers, what makes Maryland twice as bad as New York? Both are not gun friendly states but Maryland is way more dangerous than New York.

Last edited:
Canada is a little more dangerous than Vermont, and Iowa. About the same as Utah and Idaho. Safer than Maryland and Michigan.

Canada is a country. A big country. A country with major metropolitan areas. And lots of small towns, and lots of rural areas. And everything in between. It's a little different than a state with 600,000 people. Just sayin'

No way this holds up in higher courts. Just some activist gun nut Judge here.

Back