New judging ideas/propositions

Volador

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Well, in the aftermath of the other day, we need to move on from focusing on problems, to solutions.

It’s obvious that judging has been a problem for a long time, so let’s stop fucking around.

Mma fights don’t have many rounds, so even a single poorly judged round can sway a result. Also, some of the judges seem to be borrowed from boxing and don’t seem to understand grappling, or just the action in general. Plus, the commissions don’t seem to give a shit or want to admit blame.

6 and 7 figure paydays are becoming less rare. A bad decision can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars and the possibility of superstardom.

With all this said, I don’t think the 10 point must system is that bad, especially if we start awarding 10-8s more frequently when someone completely dominates a round, which is being done.

Changes I’d like to see:

5 judges instead of 3. The more judges there are, the less possibility of 2 of them scoring a fluke. Not sure how viable this is economically for the commissions.

10-10 rounds being more common. If the striking and grappling is equal, and one fighter barely advances more than the other without throwing, or if both damage the other more or less equally, I’d like a 10-10. I’d rather take a draw than some coin flip result.

3 judges ringside, 2 watching the tv feed, with no commentary. If some of the action is east to miss, this would provide some balance.

More qualified judges. This seems obvious, but I’m not sure where you would recruit judges, and you would have to make sure there’s no conflict of interest.

Every state must accept the current judging criteria
. It’s insane and irresponsible to have different rules and criteria in different states.

Experiment: Open scoring. Joe and Cruz brought this up, and I’d like to see it tested. At least if you’re getting kinda robbed, your corner would know. If the lack of suspense is a big deal, this info could be confined to the corners, and they could get rid of the corner cameras between rounds.

What do you think? Does the 10 point must system deserve to die a living death? Is a complete overhaul in order? Are you ok with the current system and just think it’s a matter of improving the individual judges?

I wont like 5 judges instead of 3. Other points make sense. I do believe scores should be displayed in between rounds.

Just have the judges watch the monitor so they’re all watching the same thing...

Or at least have them have a monitor in front of them so they can turn to it when they need to take a closer look.

The cameras always catches the best vantage points of the fight anyway, so they should have access to it, especially if the referee decides to park his ass in between them and a crucial event in the round.

They should just go back to judging the fight as a whole and use individual rounds only if there's no clear winner.

With open scoring, it would work in both directions: fighters who know the score is 1-1 would indeed push harder to win the deciding round, but fighters that just so happened to win two very close rounds would have the backing to semi-coast in round 3, whereas they wouldn't if they thought both rounds were close in a blind scoring system.

With open scoring, it would work in both directions: fighters who know the score is 1-1 would indeed push harder to win the deciding round, but fighters that just so happened to win two very close rounds would have the backing to semi-coast in round 3, whereas they wouldn't if they thought both rounds were close in a blind scoring system.

More often than not, it would probably lead to fighters coasting and playing it safe at the end

There's also the possibility of fighters getting distracted because of a bullshit scoring round and throwing a tantrum

More judges so less chance of having some braindead cunt in there

Also judges and referees should have to explain their actions to the commission if a fighter launches a complaint. Start holding these fucks accountable and you'll get changes real fast when the commissions don't want to deal with them anymore

Open scoring will lead to more 10:10 rounds, as proven by K-1. I'm okay with both. That way if judges are not 100% sure, they'll play it safe with a draw. Otherwise they'll attact too much attention.

I'm not sure something that revolutionary will happen, though. The commissions are too used to the old boxing ways and that tradition will probably be hard to break.

More judges just makes more room for B.S.

5 judges instead of 3. The more judges there are, the less possibility of 2 of them scoring a fluke. Not sure how viable this is economically for the commissions.

10-10 rounds being more common. If the striking and grappling is equal, and one fighter barely advances more than the other without throwing, or if both damage the other more or less equally, I’d like a 10-10. I’d rather take a draw than some coin flip result.

3 judges ringside, 2 watching the tv feed, with no commentary. If some of the action is east to miss, this would provide some balance.

More qualified judges. This seems obvious, but I’m not sure where you would recruit judges, and you would have to make sure there’s no conflict of interest.

Every state must accept the current judging criteria
. It’s insane and irresponsible to have different rules and criteria in different states.

Experiment: Open scoring. Joe and Cruz brought this up, and I’d like to see it tested. At least if you’re getting kinda robbed, your corner would know. If the lack of suspense is a big deal, this info could be confined to the corners, and they could get rid of the corner cameras between rounds.

What do you think? Does the 10 point must system deserve to die a living death? Is a complete overhaul in order? Are you ok with the current system and just think it’s a matter of improving the individual judges?
5 judges instead of 3 would increase accuracy. But why is 5 the perfect number, and not just arbitrary? Why not 7? 9? 11? More? The reason they go with 3 is because it's the lowest odd number other than 1. Money is better spent elsewhere IMO. 3 is sufficient.

I think judges have video monitors already don't they?

More qualified judges is always gonna be desirable.

All states use the same judging criteria. Its fouls that differ from state to state.

I hate the idea of open scoring. It promotes the idea that winning a decision should be the goal. Fights are supposed to be finished. Decisions are contingency plans. Pointfighting should be discouraged.

I think the 10-point must system should be replaced by something more suitable in MMA. I think it's feasible to rank rounds against each other as they happen. This would be difficult in boxing, as there can be 12 rounds. But in MMA there's only ever 3 or 5 rounds. Here are my previous suggestions [link] [link]. And here's a suggestion to revamp the entire round structure [link].

Why post this rubbish on Sherdog? Why not email the COMMISSIONS & tell them what you want? More chance of me shagging Margot Robbie tonight than any of these points being implemented..

5 judges instead of 3 would increase accuracy. But why is 5 the perfect number, and not just arbitrary? Why not 7? 9? 11? More? The reason they go with 3 is because it's the lowest odd number other than 1. Money is better spent elsewhere IMO. 3 is sufficient.

All states use the same judging criteria. Its fouls that differ from state to state.

I hate the idea of open scoring. It promotes the idea that winning a decision should be the goal. Fights are supposed to be finished. Decisions are contingency plans. Pointfighting should be discouraged.

I think the 10-point must system should be replaced by something more suitable in MMA. I think it's feasible to rank rounds against each other as they happen. This would be difficult in boxing, as there can be 12 rounds. But in MMA there's only ever 3 or 5 rounds. Here are my previous suggestions [link] [link]. And here's a suggestion to revamp the entire round structure [link].

Who said 5 is perfect? It’s the next odd number. So, an improvement, without incurring a huge expense.

Wasn’t sure if they did, still wouldn’t mind them being isolated from the chanting crowds and all that.

Well, all states are supposed to use the same criteria. But it wa sargued that texas is still using old rule books and training judges under the “old” system. I still would’ve seen it as a fuck up under any system though.

You can think that finishing a fight is the goal for everyone, but that’s a fantasy. Mma is a sport and many fighters already fight to decisions, so it wouldn’t change that at all. Plus, a fighter who knows for a fact he’s down on the cards would go for the finish like crazy. Fighters already coast and avoid damage on fights where they are clearly ahead. All these things already happen right now. It would only make a difference in very close fights, or fights with fucked up score cards.

I’ll take a look at your links.

10 Point must System is one of the biggest MMA myths.

it is not even a real 10 Point must System.

Scoring the fight as a whole would solve a lot of judging issues

No not every state adopted the 'new' scoring criteria, which is a good thing imo. The new scoring system is even worse than the old one. We just need better judges, ones that aren't bias, but that'll never happen. They knew having Jones win was good for the sport, which means that they still have a job.

No not every state adopted the 'new' scoring criteria, which is a good thing imo. The new scoring system is even worse than the old one. We just need better judges, ones that aren't bias, but that'll never happen. They knew having Jones win was good for the sport, which means that they still have a job.
www.bloodyelbow.com/platform/amp/2018/3/6/17083716/referees-john-mccarthy-jerin-valel-judging-criteria-new-old-unified-rules-mma-interview

All states use the new scoring system.

Why do you prefer the old system?

Back