New Job!!!

That's awesome dude. As long your in good vibes about it, than that's all good.

You poor wage slave, free yourself and open a gay bar..........

Congratulations anyway.

that sounds great, threadstarter. i recently went through an interview process, and have agreed verbally with the employer for a new job. am just waiting for the physical offer to arrive.

Thats awesome! Congratulations! What kind of work is it?

A little background...

I was laid off 2 years ago after 21 years with the same company. Instead of a buyout they chose to do salary continuance equal to 1 month for each year of service. Essentially, they paid me to not work. The catch being, if I found new employment I would only receive 1/2 of what they owed me. With COVID, it made sense to stay home & collect my full salary.

Salary continuance ran out a couple months ago & I started putting out resumes. I had a few promising leads that ultimately lead to nothing. A couple weeks ago I had an interview with a company in my field that just recently expanded into my province. They seemed impressed with my qualifications & I sensed the interview went well.

I followed up a week later & discovered they were unable to get a hold of my former manager, whom I'd provided as a work reference. I placed some calls to him & left messages asking him to speak with my prospective employer. Another week went by & I learned that no one had been able to speak with him yet.

I was worried that without his reference I might miss out on a great opportunity.

Thankfully, I was wrong! I got the job offer on the weekend & return to the workforce tomorrow.

My new schedule is only 3 days/week (Fri - Sun), 12 hours/day but get paid 42 hours. I'm eligible for full benefits immediately, as well as 2 weeks vacation. After 6 months, I'm eligible to be part of the employee bonus program & a raise. After 1 year, they're going to give me a 3rd week of vacation & another raise.

Additionally, I will be going for surgery in November & will need up to 1 month for recovery. They said they've got no problem with that & to take whatever time I need.

Also, Christmas & New Year both fall on a weekend this year so I'll end up with nearly 3 weeks paid time off during the holidays.

This is the first time I've ever experienced an employer go out of their way to "sell" themselves to an employee. I'm actually excited to return to the workforce. It's been a long time since I felt this good about going to work.

CLIFFS...
-laid off
-paid to stay home
-interviewed for new jobs
-thought I'd missed out on a great opportunity
-ultimately got the job
-start tomorrow

That is FANTASTIC.
That rat bastard ex-manager, though. WTH was his malfunction?

All my friends that got laid off got better jobs than they had eventually. Im stuck at the same shitty place for 15 years.

I guess I'm saying congrats TS.

What job did you have, TS? And what's the new one?
I was a printer, now I'm a printer...again.
What about Halloween?
...not a holiday.
That is FANTASTIC.
That rat bastard ex-manager, though. WTH was his malfunction?
I'm not sure. I spoke with him about a month ago & got a letter of recommendation plus his assurance that he'd put in a good word for me if asked.

I've got the job now, so it's all good.

Thanks, everyone, for the well wishes

Back