New Job!!!

zuffazombee

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
A little background...

I was laid off 2 years ago after 21 years with the same company. Instead of a buyout they chose to do salary continuance equal to 1 month for each year of service. Essentially, they paid me to not work. The catch being, if I found new employment I would only receive 1/2 of what they owed me. With COVID, it made sense to stay home & collect my full salary.

Salary continuance ran out a couple months ago & I started putting out resumes. I had a few promising leads that ultimately lead to nothing. A couple weeks ago I had an interview with a company in my field that just recently expanded into my province. They seemed impressed with my qualifications & I sensed the interview went well.

I followed up a week later & discovered they were unable to get a hold of my former manager, whom I'd provided as a work reference. I placed some calls to him & left messages asking him to speak with my prospective employer. Another week went by & I learned that no one had been able to speak with him yet.

I was worried that without his reference I might miss out on a great opportunity.

Thankfully, I was wrong! I got the job offer on the weekend & return to the workforce tomorrow.

My new schedule is only 3 days/week (Fri - Sun), 12 hours/day but get paid 42 hours. I'm eligible for full benefits immediately, as well as 2 weeks vacation. After 6 months, I'm eligible to be part of the employee bonus program & a raise. After 1 year, they're going to give me a 3rd week of vacation & another raise.

Additionally, I will be going for surgery in November & will need up to 1 month for recovery. They said they've got no problem with that & to take whatever time I need.

Also, Christmas & New Year both fall on a weekend this year so I'll end up with nearly 3 weeks paid time off during the holidays.

This is the first time I've ever experienced an employer go out of their way to "sell" themselves to an employee. I'm actually excited to return to the workforce. It's been a long time since I felt this good about going to work.

CLIFFS...
-laid off
-paid to stay home
-interviewed for new jobs
-thought I'd missed out on a great opportunity
-ultimately got the job
-start tomorrow

A little background...

I was laid off 2 years ago after 21 years with the same company. Instead of a buyout they chose to do salary continuance equal to 1 month for each year of service. Essentially, they paid me to not work. The catch being, if I found new employment I would only receive 1/2 of what they owed me. With COVID, it made sense to stay home & collect my full salary.

Salary continuance ran out a couple months ago & I started putting out resumes. I had a few promising leads that ultimately lead to nothing. A couple weeks ago I had an interview with a company in my field that just recently expanded into my province. They seemed impressed with my qualifications & I sensed the interview went well.

I followed up a week later & discovered they were unable to get a hold of my former manager, whom I'd provided as a work reference. I placed some calls to him & left messages asking him to speak with my prospective employer. Another week went by & I learned that no one had been able to speak with him yet.

I was worried that without his reference I might miss out on a great opportunity.

Thankfully, I was wrong! I got the job offer on the weekend & return to the workforce tomorrow.

My new schedule is only 3 days/week (Fri - Sun), 12 hours/day but get paid 42 hours. I'm eligible for full benefits immediately, as well as 2 weeks vacation. After 6 months, I'm eligible to be part of the employee bonus program & a raise. After 1 year, they're going to give me a 3rd week of vacation & another raise.

Additionally, I will be going for surgery in November & will need up to 1 month for recovery. They said they've got no problem with that & to take whatever time I need.

Also, Christmas & New Year both fall on a weekend this year so I'll end up with nearly 3 weeks paid time off during the holidays.

This is the first time I've ever experienced an employer go out of their way to "sell" themselves to an employee. I'm actually excited to return to the workforce. It's been a long time since I felt this good about going to work.

CLIFFS...
-laid off
-paid to stay home
-interviewed for new jobs
-thought I'd missed out on a great opportunity
-ultimately got the job
-start tomorrow
Glad you got a break for awhile, and are excited to get back into it bud. Hopefully it’s everything your hoping it is. Good luck with the new job

Damn, what a good deal, and the lay off seemed to come at an opportune time (everyone was staying home anyway). The new job sounds like it has great benefits too. Good luck!

Timing wise, you couldn't have planned it any better as the hiring market was much weaker when COVID first hit. Right now a lot of companies are struggling to retain and hire new talent so makes sense they tried to sell you on the job.

Congrats on the sweet new gig!

Last edited:
raw

Congratulations and good luck sherbro..

Remember to lube..

Congrats dude. What kind of work is it if it's not pro fluffing?
Printing.

Much smaller presses than I'm accustomed to. One person/press vs a full crew like I used to do. Printing labels for suppliers now vs printing beer & soda pop cases.

I took a quick tour of the facility & it seems very laid back with little managerial interference (so long as work is getting done).

The hours, pay & proximity to my house (10 minutes away) are all huge bonuses.

Last edited:
Very cool congrats.
Always good to see someone out there grinding and getting paid.
Flexible and consumer packaging printing has really gotten the printing industry back on track hey. Seems like with the newsprint decline it was toast for a few years there

Cool man. Hope it works out for u.

Back