New job... Already scheduled vacation

this is easy: tell them that you had planned a vacation beforehand, but that you understand that you're just getting started, and if it wouldn't be appropriate to go, you won't.

your new job > some vacation to hawaii

This is something you mention at the final interview or when you accept the job. It's never an issue with us, but we aren't a government company. They probably have very strict guidelines.

Starting a new job in about a week.
Had vacation to Hawaii all booked in October.

Should I even bother asking to take it off? Would it look bad?

This is a government job.

You should have told them when you accepted the job offer.

You better tell them not ask. Say it was planned months ago.

This. Tell them that it was already planned before you got the job, and if it is alright you would like to keep the plans, but you are willing to cancel them.

Your boss should understand that you made these plans a while ago so regardless of his decision I doubt he'll be upset if you ask.

It's a government job. Just tell them. Seriously, I work a government job. The only people who get ahead here are the people who do no work, and kiss tons of ass.

No. Let you boss know day one that everything is already paid for. Gov't doesn't care, they will let you have it off.

Gov't employees get Everything they want.

That explains why government services are so great.

You need put in for the vacation week asap. Government jobs have seniority when it comes to vacation time. In the end you may have to smooze your way with certain coworkers to get them to switch.

I would tell them asap. When was the interview and why didn't u tell them then?

you'll be straight man, trust me. the time tested method of guaranteeing leave as a government employee, is the 'i already bought the tickets' routine....dumbasses play stupid all the time, and then turn in leave all late w/ that excuse. i've literally never seen it denied once, not as a civilian (got veto'd all the time in the Army if outside the designated leave block).

trust me, just tell them ASAP, and you'll be totally fine. you bought it before you were even hired, it's not shady at all

Starting a new job in about a week.
Had vacation to Hawaii all booked in October.

Should I even bother asking to take it off? Would it look bad?

This is a government job.

should have told them when you accepted the yob in miami beesh

Tell them your mother died and wear a lot of sunblock.

i was thinking she had cancer/in hospital and wear a lot of sunblock, then full recovery expected upon his return from Hawaii. save death for later when you need off something spur of the moment, imo

It's fine man. Just tell them now. Don't delay any longer. They're not going to say no.

You should have brought that up when you accepted the position.

You should have told them up front during the interview or at least when they hired you if you already knew you were going to need the time off. I wouldn't give it to you if I was your boss but then again I'm not your boss. Don't put it off any longer and just tell them NOW.

Kinda how I feel.

If I was an employer I'd prefer this brought up during the interview than after the fact. It's not going to factor into my decision to hire anyone, because everyone gets vacation anyway. I'd be pissed a month in the new guy comes up to me "oh yeah, I had this week long vacation that I've had booked for months but just telling you about now". Those are the type of people that probably wouldn't make the cut if there's some sort of probation period.

Since it's a gov. job vacation probably goes by seniority, so they might have to pull some strings depending if people have that week booked, how many people there are in your department/office and if coverage is available or required.

How did you not bring this up earlier during the interview/negotiation process?

Why would you let them know? You have no idea if you are getting the job or not. Would be weird to say until you got the job offer.

I interview people quite a lot and one of our standard questions at the end is to check what vacation they have planned and it has absolutely no impact on whether or not they get the job.

Back