New job... Already scheduled vacation

Mufasa

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Starting a new job in about a week.
Had vacation to Hawaii all booked in October.

Should I even bother asking to take it off? Would it look bad?

This is a government job.

You better tell them not ask. Say it was planned months ago.

No. Let you boss know day one that everything is already paid for. Gov't doesn't care, they will let you have it off.

Gov't employees get Everything they want.

probably something that should have been brought up in the whole interview deal.

Just let them know - earlier the better.

Claim racism if they don't let you go.

I usually go with sexism

"Kelly got 3 months off just because she had a baby, but since i have a penis I can't go to Hawaii?"

Yes of course. And fk all the haters at your work who will resent you for going on a preplanned vacation as the new guy.

I had a girl I just hired get married a month into the new job. She was upfront about it so I didn't care, but it was unpaid time off during her probationary period.

Yuo have a better shot since it's a gov job. I'd ask at the beginning of next month and see what they say. It's hard to get fired from the gov but it's easier when you are on your probation period.

So you didn't let them know while you were applying for the job?

I had a similar situation when I started a new job, but had a trip schedule about 6 weeks later. I let them know during the interview so they weren't blindsided.

yeah as a gov't employee you most likely will have to take it as unpaid vacation though.

Both my sister and one of my best friends let it be known up front that they had vacations planned and would be needing those days off. They both got the job. In my buddies case it was the very first week he was supposed to start work lol. Just give them the heads up and you'll be good.

You should have told them up front during the interview or at least when they hired you if you already knew you were going to need the time off. I wouldn't give it to you if I was your boss but then again I'm not your boss. Don't put it off any longer and just tell them NOW.

Should have told them upfront at interview as others have stated.

At this point I would gather all my documentation proving it is paid for and explain that you were willing to take the loss to get the job, but after consideration you'd like to have your cake and eat it too.

If that doesn't work explain that this trip will enlighten you and thereby help you perform your duties better when you get back.

If that fails mention you post on Sherdog and you've learned the art of free lemonade and offer to share the secret.

Starting a new job in about a week.
Had vacation to Hawaii all booked in October.

Should I even bother asking to take it off? Would it look bad?

This is a government job.

Tell them it was planned well before you took this job.

yeah as a gov't employee you most likely will have to take it as unpaid vacation though.

If you're in there for 6 weeks you may be able to get like one day of leave out of it. Rest will be unpaid.

So you didn't let them know while you were applying for the job?

I had a similar situation when I started a new job, but had a trip schedule about 6 weeks later. I let them know during the interview so they weren't blindsided.

Why would you let them know? You have no idea if you are getting the job or not. Would be weird to say until you got the job offer.

Back