International New Indonesian Bill updating penal codes seeks to criminalize Homelessness, adultry ..

MicroBrew

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
Indonesia's penal code is set to be updated. A new Bill that their parliament is set to vote on will criminalize sex outside of marriage, including for tourists. Some other proposed criminal violations would be homelessness, LGBTQ partnerships, criticizing the President and Vice President.

How do you outlaw homelessness? I suppose they will arrest all homeless people and incarcerate them which would sort of solve the homeless situation but deprives people of freedom of movement. Just a rather draconian and barbaric way to deal with homelessness.

And the law to criminalize criticism of the President is a blatant authoritarian move. Sounds like the lese majeste law in Thailand.

----

Bali is a tourist cash cow for Indonesia. If they outlaw relationships outside of marriage and force couples to show proof of marriage to be able to rent rooms, tourism is going to take a huge hit. I hope tourists boycott Bali en masse.

Unmarried tourists won’t even be allowed to get a hotel room unless they have a marriage certificate to prove their relationship. Those who do not have such documentation risk falling foul of local law. It will also open tourists to harassment from corrupt local police while on holiday.

https://www.cntraveller.in/story/unmarried-couples-sex-bali-get-jailed-year/

----

Harsh criminal crackdown in Indonesia likened to Islamic law

Jakarta: Extra marital sex, homelessness, criticism of the President and spreading communist ideology would all be crimes - and attract jail time - under looming sweeping changes to Indonesia's penal code.

Other mooted changes include making it illegal for couples who aren't married to live together, showing contraception to a minor (for example, displaying condoms in a shop), curbing access to abortion and criminalising criticism of a judge, fake news, bestiality and black magic.

They want President Joko Widodo to intervene and block passage of the bill if it wins parliamentary support, as appears likely.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/h...a-likened-to-islamic-law-20190910-p52pxs.html

Indonesia's penal code is set to be updated. A new Bill that their parliament is set to vote on will criminalize sex outside of marriage, including for tourists. Some other proposed criminal violations would be homelessness, LGBTQ partnerships, criticizing the President and Vice President.

How do you outlaw homelessness? I suppose they will arrest all homeless people and incarcerate them which would sort of solve the homeless situation but deprives people of freedom of movement. Just a rather draconian and barbaric way to deal with homelessness.

And the law to criminalize criticism of the President is a blatant authoritarian move. Sounds like the lese majeste law in Thailand.

----

Bali is a tourist cash cow for Indonesia. If they outlaw relationships outside of marriage and force couples to show proof of marriage to be able to rent rooms, tourism is going to take a huge hit. I hope tourists boycott Bali en masse.

Unmarried tourists won’t even be allowed to get a hotel room unless they have a marriage certificate to prove their relationship. Those who do not have such documentation risk falling foul of local law. It will also open tourists to harassment from corrupt local police while on holiday.

https://www.cntraveller.in/story/unmarried-couples-sex-bali-get-jailed-year/

----

Harsh criminal crackdown in Indonesia likened to Islamic law

Jakarta: Extra marital sex, homelessness, criticism of the President and spreading communist ideology would all be crimes - and attract jail time - under looming sweeping changes to Indonesia's penal code.

Other mooted changes include making it illegal for couples who aren't married to live together, showing contraception to a minor (for example, displaying condoms in a shop), curbing access to abortion and criminalising criticism of a judge, fake news, bestiality and black magic.

They want President Joko Widodo to intervene and block passage of the bill if it wins parliamentary support, as appears likely.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/h...a-likened-to-islamic-law-20190910-p52pxs.html
<6>

Well, that's gonna impact the tourist industry significantly.

And its briefly mentioned in the article but how do you punish someone for being homeless?

Imprison them? Provide them with shelter?

Good for Indonesia, they seem to be one of the smarter countries in the world, recognizing that these things are what cripple a society and not to be celebrated.

Well, that's gonna impact the tourist industry significantly.

And its briefly mentioned in the article but how do you punish someone for being homeless?

Imprison them? Provide them with shelter?
By criminalizing homelessness you solve the homeless problem....
Well until you run out of prison space....

Good for Indonesia, they seem to be one of the smarter countries in the world, recognizing that these things are what cripple a society and not to be celebrated.
And yet Saudi Arabia and Afghanistan aren't leading the world.

Indonesia...Islam based.

Who gives a fuck? It's a shit hole. Will always be a shit hole, and the person in charge is a lunatic.

good thing i don’t live in that shithole

Will the law have to be updated once the capital city is updated?

This Jokowi fella seems clueless and also very authoritarian. Good luck drawing tourism with that. It's like the people in charge are asking for another riot and reformation. From what I gather when I was there for 6 months, they've been running out of prison space since you'll get locked up for 6-12 months just for smoking weed or stealing your neighbor's rooster.

A new Bill that their parliament is set to vote on will criminalize sex outside of marriage, including for tourists. Some other proposed criminal violations would be homelessness, LGBTQ partnerships, criticizing the President and Vice President.

This reads like a Mike Pence dream bill. He would spiritually fap to it until spiritual orgasm.

No Black Magic?
Are you fucking kidding me?!?!?

I know this is said in jest, but how else does a government effectively criminalize homelessness?
In parts of South Florida they not only make it illegal to sleep outside(effectively banning homelessness), they also make it illegal to feed the homeless. I don't think they imprison them necessarily, I think they just try and push them out of the wealthy areas and make them move to the less well off cities.

What can possibly go wrong?

I have a perfect solution that satisfies everyone. Since being homeless is illegal the police can round then up and release them into a special "preserve" where they can frolic and be free.

To make up for the lost tourist revenue from the whole marriage issue they can charge wealthy tourists for licenses to hunt the world's most dangerous game...man.

Their country, their rules. Can't wait for the usual idiots breaking local laws and being tossed in prison for it because they aren't smart enough to check into local laws where they are travelling to.

Their country, their rules. Can't wait for the usual idiots breaking local laws and being tossed in prison for it because they aren't smart enough to check into local laws where they are travelling to.

The problem with such countries , the UAE being a good example , is that even though they have strict laws on the books, the authorities and society give the impression to tourists and expats that the laws aren't strictly adhered to, that the authorities turn a blind eye. So what happens is a tourist goes there and engages in what is technically illegal behavior but the tourist assumes such behavior is unofficially given a pass by the authorities. And a lot of tourists do get a pass but sometimes for whatever reason the authorities decide to come down hard on some tourists citing their laws.

Back