New guy looking to buy a gi.

Charlatan

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I found this one online. Does anyone have it?

Jiu-Jitsu / Judo Single Weave gi

I am brand new to BJJ and want to purchase a gi. So far this is the cheapest one I found (price wise). Does it look like a rip-off? Should I be looking elsewhere? Thanks!

With a gi,as with most things in life, you get what you pay for, and quality is not cheap. the last thing one should skimp on is a gi.

I have a Gameness Platinum Gi very nice, i like it a lot....i also have a Gi simular to the one on that website , you will find the sleeves are very big(easy to get a grip on) and the collar is very thin.

Atami, Koral, Vulcan are all good. You don't want your gi ripping during practice or a tourney. One time in class a guy got his left pant leg ripped in half mid-thigh. Half his balls were hanging out. It was like a bad Hulk impersonation. Not a good look.

I always recommend Padilla & Sons.

First came across them via this very convincing review over on the Smash Pass blog. Ordered my white gold weave shortly afterwards, and been very happy with it so far. Most comfortable of the three gis I have (cycle between a Padilla, cheap Blitz judo one and the Katama - not Atama - I got when I signed up at RGA), not overly doused in patches, thin and light but still strong (not noticed any wear so far, having bought mine in August 07), good fit after one hot wash and spin dry.

Perhaps most importantly, despite the good quality (Smash Pass, backing everything up with pictures, rates it as on the same level as Atama and Koral, if not better), its cheap. $80 in the US, and cost me less than

One more question:

I am 5'9'' an 165lbs. Should I get an A2 or an A3? I ask because I am basically the exact middle of the two sizes. Thanks.

i would say get the larger since it should shrink a bit, but ive only bought one gi so far, so take that with a grain of salt

One more question:

I am 5'9'' an 165lbs. Should I get an A2 or an A3? I ask because I am basically the exact middle of the two sizes. Thanks.

Depends on the Gi, typically that's a A2 in most sizes though. I would personally recommend Vulkan, decently priced and a very good gi. I personally own a Koral, which is roughly the same but heavier and more expensive. These are pre shrunk.

HSU has a good low end gi for a beginner.

I've had my pair (blue and white) for over 3 years with minimal wear (6 days a week practices). Cost me around 40-60 US Dollars.

the atama ultra light gi is on sale for 99$ right now

I always recommend Padilla & Sons.

First came across them via this very convincing review over on the Smash Pass blog. Ordered my white gold weave shortly afterwards, and been very happy with it so far. Most comfortable of the three gis I have (cycle between a Padilla, cheap Blitz judo one and the Katama - not Atama - I got when I signed up at RGA), not overly doused in patches, thin and light but still strong (not noticed any wear so far, having bought mine in August 07), good fit after one hot wash and spin dry.

Perhaps most importantly, despite the good quality (Smash Pass, backing everything up with pictures, rates it as on the same level as Atama and Koral, if not better), its cheap. $80 in the US, and cost me less than

For a really great gi that is affordable try KAGI gi's.

kagisports.com

you can get the cheapest model for 65 dollars.
The top of the line model is 85.

One more question:

Probably A2. I'm 5'10 165 myself and A2's fit me pretty decently.

The P&S are very nice gi's great customer service and awesome quality for the price. I have one and use it all the time. BUT . . . . . . . .

IMHO the Gi is more of a judo cut than a BJJ cut. Large sleeve cuffs, large in the chest. It also has a shorter skirt than most gi's. The collar is also thinner compared to other gi's I've used, not bad, just thin.

In addition the gi pants are a funny cut. Sort of like low rise jeans. They tie around your hips not waist.

Over all I would and have recommended the gi. Just thought I would point out the little things I noticed.

Take a fuji bjj gi

kodokangear.com
hatashitasports.com

One more question:

If you go for Padilla, just email Joe: he'll most likely offer to call you to discuss sizing options. I'm 5'7 and 143lbs, and I wear an A2 (Padilla has its own sizing system, for some reason, but the 4 is equivalent to an A2).

Back