New Friday the 13th Game 2016

DoMeFavors

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
friday-the-13th.png

Killer Jason Voorhees will be making a return to video games for the first time in over 25 years, it has been confirmed. Crystal Lake Entertainment has announced that the tentatively titled Friday the 13th game is an asymmetrical, cooperative and competitive multiplayer title, in which a small group of survivors will take on a single player who will play the role of the iconic masked slasher.

This is the first time Jason will officially return to video games since making an appearance on the NES in 1989. Creator of the original film and CEO of Crystal Lake Entertainment, Sean S. Cunningham, said:
"With a new television series on the horizon and plans announced for the thirteenth installment of the film franchise, we felt the timing was right to finally explore Jason, Camp Crystal Lake, and the rest of the Friday the 13th story in interactive form. We have some exciting new ideas for a game that supplies plenty of replay value, while delivering the kinds of thrills and scares that fans of the franchise have come to expect."
A developer for the game has not been announced, but Cunningham hinted that an experienced studio is on task. Friday the 13th is confirmed to be in development for

Last edited:
This looks pretty cool, but if we're playing as Jason, then you can pretty much kiss any fear or scariness goodbuy. Similar to JAWS Unleashed, besides being a horrible game, playing as the shark was not scary. Think of Alien Isolation.... playing as the alien would not be scary. You get the suspense, atmosphere, and scariness from playing as the hero and trying to escape from Jason.

Fully funded now, and I pledged my support as well.

Hopefully it's not pure garbage. It has the potential to be really fun.

630x

Update:
Right in time for Halloween, Friday the 13th: The Game has launched on Kickstarter.

Being developed by Gun Media, the project is looking for $700,000 to make the base game, with some unknown stretch goals also available. According to the Kickstarter page, it will be a multiplayer 1v7 title, where one player takes on the role of Jason, and the rest of the players take on the roles of camp counselors who need to work as a team to survive. The developer seems pretty excited to let players play as such an iconic killer:
You get to play as Jason. Let’s say that again. YOU GET TO PLAY AS JASON! You get to stalk camp counselors in Camp Crystal Lake and brutally kill in new and inventive ways (as well as some that will seem all too familiar). Grab a counselor in a choke hold, pick them up off the ground, and smash their face into a tree. Repeatedly. Or how about lifting a counselor up above your head as they kick and scream, holding them aloft long enough to walk near a rack of farm spikes to slam your victim down upon them? Yes, you get to do that because that’s what Jason does. He’s an unflinching, brutal killing force; the ultimate predator, and for the first time ever YOU control this horror icon.
In truth, this is just cancelled PC game Slasher Vol. 1: Summer Camp with a different skin. Matches will play out similarly to Evolve, where one person will assume the role of the iconic serial killer, while seven others fight for their lives as clichéd camp counsellors. There are plans for a first-person single player mode, which will see you play out iconic scenarios from the movie series. There'll also be a progression system to keep you hooked to the online component, as well as an 80s movie trailer feature which will highlight the best moments at the end of each match in grindhouse style.

The Kickstarter also mentions that Slasher Vol 1: Summer Camp, which Gun Media announced last year, was sort of the foundation for Friday the 13th: The Game, as the developer “decided to upgrade our plans for Summer Camp and embrace the Friday the 13th video game license.” In other words, Summer Camp transformed into Friday the 13th, so don’t expect Summer Camp to be released.

You can visit the Kickstarter page here to get more information or donate to it. Friday the 13th: The Game should be out sometime in October 2016 for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC, if everything goes to plan.

Last edited:
Super happy to see it fully funded. Now I wonder if still release all the Stretch Goals, just as DLC since most were'nt directly funded?

Also, still hoping for a single player survival-horror campaign. Maybe down the road.

Agreed! It will either be really good or pure shit...if they make it just like what Until Dawn looks to be, I'm in...

If done right this could be incredibly fun. I just hope it isn't terrible. I'm also not sure how well a single player mode would work out, there can only be so many people at the camp to kill, if it were to move away from that it could get repetitive.

Some pre-alpha footage

crypt_f13main__span.png

Gotta be better than this.

One had to wonder on a campground infested with Zombies every few steps why Jason was such a big deal? lol. Mark and Crissy were the only good Councillors. The others sucked.

At least they have the look of Jason right. Kane Hodder's Jason is the GOAT.

I can't stand that tattered zombie Jason that was used in Jason Goes to Hell and Freddy vs. Jason.

I think it could be a fun game. I would almost make it like Metal Gear where if you are Jason, you can play it stealth or brute force but it's more dangerous since the counselors will see you and try to fight back.

If you pledge $25 to the Kickstarter page you'll get a digital copy for either the PC, Xbone, or PS4 when it comes out.

I gave $25. What the hell I thought it looked cool. It will probably be $60 when it comes out. It also appears that they're teaming up with some Indie developers, so at least there will be some people that actually give a fuck that are working n the game.

They are still allowing backers in a "slasher backer" post Kickstarter campaign.

crypt_f13main__span.png

One had to wonder on a campground infested with Zombies every few steps why Jason was such a big deal? lol. Mark and Crissy were the only good Councillors. The others sucked.

"Scared the sh*t outta me. And now he's fighting me like Mike Tyson's Punch Out."
- Angry Videogame Nerd

I used to play the shit out of the NES version.

Could never beat it, and man was it depressing.

you_and_your_friends_are_dead.png

I beat the game once to this day if I fire it up I can't come close to beating the game

crypt_f13main__span.png

This shit was intense as a kid

There are plans for a first-person single player mode, which will see you play out iconic scenarios from the movie series.

I hope if they do this, they do it as survival horror. They should take reference from Alien Isolation.

I know I keep plugging that game, but damn it was amazing!

Some pre-alpha footage

I hope this is an extremely extremely rough beta. If the final game is anything like this, it'll get boring FAST. But the potential is there.

Pretty excited for this. Hopefully a mish mash of manhunt and other survival horror games.

I'm glad they ended up partnering with the developers that were making the Kickstarter game. I guess it went off Kickstarter (which I was about to back when it was booted) because Sean Cunningham contacted them to develop the official game, and not because of a lawsuit threat.
This is awesome news.

I wish the Alien: Isolation devs would do more horror games.

Imagine a game with similar gameplay to Alien: Isolation, but with Elm Street. Having to hide and escape Freddy's dream world would be terrifying.

Anyone really expecting that playing as Jason is going to be as satisfying as it sounds?

I'm more excited about trying to survive as one of the counselors, if that's who the other characters are.

I wish the Alien: Isolation devs would do more horror games.

Imagine a game with similar gameplay to Alien: Isolation, but with Elm Street. Having to hide and escape Freddy's dream world would be terrifying.

Heck yeah, and then they could make a crossover game with Freddy & Jason.

I love the format and idea, but the execution is going to be difficult. It is not easy to nail the gameplay on something like this.

It sucks because an idea like this has so much potential, but you just know they're gonna find some way to screw it up royally.

It sucks because an idea like this has so much potential, but you just know they're gonna find some way to screw it up royally.

Just like 99% of all licensed games, ever.

You can play as Jason in the first 'Friday the 13th' game in 25 years

It's been six years since Jason Voorhees last swung his machete on the big screen, but he's about to get choppy again.
Gun Media and Illfonic are bringing Friday the 13th back to the video game world — the first time the classic horror film franchise has been turned into a game in more than 25 years. The seven-on-one asymmetric multiplayer title, which launches a Kickstarter campaign today, is targeted to hit the PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One next fall.

The scenario is a familiar one. Seven players controlling counselors at Camp Crystal Lake will be systematically stalked by the near-unstoppable killing machine Jason, controlled by another player. They can work together to find and repair vehicles to escape the area or search for a landline to call for help from the police. Or, if they're especially organized, they can try to find weapons and kill Jason before he kills them.

"You can defeat Jason," confirms Ronnie Hobbs, a producer at Gun Media. "We're not saying how that happens yet, and it's very hard to do. ... You can be the stealth guy and try to wait it out, or, if you pick the jock [as your player], you can certainly try to find a weapon and try to take down Jason yourself. But we certainly don't advise that."

The road to Crystal Lake

The story of how Friday the 13th: The Game came to be isn't typical. It's a triumph of dedicated fandom and happy circumstance rather than corporate exploitation.

The hockey-masked homicidal maniac who slashed his way through more than 150 people over the course of a dozen Friday the 13th films has only appeared in one video game: a 1989 title for the Nintendo Entertainment System. But he has certainly inspired dozens of others, from Resident Evil 3: Nemesis to The Evil Within.

And that inspiration — and love of horror films — is what led Gun Media to start making Slasher Vol 1.: Summer Camp, a game where one killer systematically hunts a group of stereotypical characters found in most horror movies. (Jocks, for instance, have high strength, but stink at stealth. There's the nerdy guy who can repair things, but has bad luck. And the heroic girl who's incredibly lucky, but slow.)

"I've been watching horror movies and playing games since I was a little kid," says Hobbs. "I've always loved the games with one-on-one, where you're being chased."

The team at Gun Media are big fans of the Friday the 13th films, so they decided to reach out to key members of the cast to help with Summer Camp.

Tom Savini, who did the make-up effects for the original film, agreed to come on board to design the kills. Kane Hodder, who portrayed and did the stunts for Jason in most of the films, agreed to do motion capture. And Harry Manfredini, who composed the iconic soundtrack, is crafting the game's music.

"We essentially had a Friday the 13th game without the license," says Hobbs. "We didn't really think anything of it. We just put our head down and started building."

Meeting the head counselor

About five months into development, though, the team got a call from Sean Cunningham, the creator and director of Friday the 13th — and the man who holds the rights to the license.

"He said 'You've got all my guys already. The only one you're missing is me'," says Hobbs.

That kicked off a series of conversations with Cunningham, which ultimately led to him offering the license to the team at a price they couldn't refuse.

"He said 'If it will make your game better, you can have [the license],'" says Hobbs. "We were like 'Sean, we can't afford it' and he was like ' no... you can have it.'"

With license in hand, the team approached larger publishers to partner up, but they didn't like what they heard. Some wanted too much creative control. Others were concerned about the amount of blood. And at least one wanted a game that was T-rated, something that makes absolutely no sense given the license.

They decided instead to make the game themselves, which led them to Kickstarter. They're asking $700,000, but of course are hoping for much more to meet certain stretch goals.

And the team is counting on horror fans to help them hit those.

"Horror, as a genre, is all over the place," says Hobbs. "If someone says they like horror, they could be on the other side of the field from you. There's exploitation. There's slasher. There's paranormal. But when it comes to something like Friday the 13th, it hits right in the middle. When you see Jason, he speaks to everyone. You don't necessarily have to love horror movies to love Friday the 13th. And the super hardcore horror people love Jason, too. Somehow, he pulls you in and you start cheering for him."

The final cuts

Some details of the game are still being nailed down, such as whether there will be a time-based element, but others are finalized. As he was in the films, Jason will be a mute stalker. Also, no one will come to your assistance if you don't find a way to call for help.

And if the Kickstarter (which ends, naturally, on Friday, November 13th) were to fall short of its goal somehow, there's still sufficient funding for the Summer Camp game, though it won't have the iconic Friday the 13th elements.

No matter what the team does, it knows it's going to face built-in resistance from some players because it's creating a game based on a movie license. But Hobbs says the team isn't letting that worry them.

"That prejudice exists until review scores come out and people see that others really enjoy it," he says. "The way you squash that is through showing gameplay and doing interviews. But the proof, ultimately, is in the pudding. You have to make a good game."

https://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugg...day-the-13th--game-in-25-years-040050702.html

I really hope this turns out great!

Donate! (Kickstarter)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/613356213/friday-the-13th-the-game?ref=nav_search

Going to toss in vor the $99 version, I am a Friday the 13th nut to the degree of spending over $2000 on props cast from the movie props, not to mention other collectables costing even more.

So the game is realeasing this month. Why not reveiws or game play footage.

Haha, so true. Most games really do suck.

Same goes for music, movies, and I assume art. I think the fact of the matter is that most of us are simply lacklusters, and thus we generally produce substandard products.

haha, dat nostalgia. I only ever best him once, only to get a message that he was back and stronger the second time, turned it off and took it back to the video store.

Same goes for music, movies, and I assume art. I think the fact of the matter is that most of us are simply lacklusters, and thus we generally produce substandard products.

christian-bale-and-kermit-the-frog.gif

So the game is realeasing this month. Why not reveiws or game play footage.

When I first made the thread they said October of this year...stuff has happened since and now they say October of next year...I can't change the thread title, a mod would have to do that...

Always liked the idea of a Slasher video game.

I know there was plans for a PS2 game where you would get to create your killer, choose his weapon, and then be let lose on a group of young adults. Sounded like a really good idea for a game but it got canned for being controversial.

[YT]75xsuaNunXk[/YT]

Maybe I'm just out of the loop but I don't have much confidence in a game that has to be crowd funded. Is this a thing in the gaming industry now? Has this produced an actual good game?

I wonder if they are stealing Last Year's blueprint and then releasing before it...

[YT]zPhDWWGbaNU[/YT]

Maybe I'm just out of the loop but I don't have much confidence in a game that has to be crowd funded. Is this a thing in the gaming industry now? Has this produced an actual good game?

Agreed. It's pathetic that major films and video games are now asking for the public to fund them, and people actually oblige them.

Back