new-found respect

Wrestling is really really hard. I think the people who are really "in the know' will tell you wrestling is very hard. Some of the BJJ guys I train with do Wrestling on the side to tighten their BJJ game.

I'm at a training camp right now with the Korean national team, and the Canadian national team. The Koreans are some of the best conditioned athletes I've ever seen. The Canadians are in great shape too, but I saw 2 injured Koreans do "divebomber" pushups for over an hour. Apparently they did over 1000 with no break!
We've been training twice a day, so its been very intense.

Resendiz said:
your damn right, none of that falling back and relaxing crap or grabbing to hold for dear life, in wrestling if you pull any of this youll get slammed.

this past friday i brought my friend (a state wrestler) to the Jiu jitsu gym. So there were to Jiu Jitsu guys doing takedowns and the whole class says hey hey hey go with this new kid. Then the jiu jitsu guy (purple belt) says in a horrified manner, "im not a wrestler" with nothing but fear in his eyes. and the whole class goes booooooooo just do it, so they square up and my friend is setting up a takedown then the Jiu jitsu guy pulls guard, then i start the booooooooooos followed by the class.
looked just like Kerr vs Duarte

poor guy who knew someone could be so terrified of wrestling.

Man, thats pretty fucking weak. Why would you be scared of getting taken down, because if the wrestler doesn't know BJJ he could end up taking you down and putting himself right into an armbar/triangle/kimura, especially from a purple belt.

I'm taking BJJ right now and I want to learn some wrestling. I'm going to be transferring to Texas tech in 6 months to a year, if I got into really good shape would I be able to walk on to the wrestling team? I know I will get thrown around and get my ass kicked, and I don't plan on competiting since i have not wrestling experience, but If i got my ass kicked by some college wrestlers I would eventually get good at takedowns, and good takedown defense for MMA, right?

yeah man, wrestlers deserve some respect and bjj guys could learn a lot from them. mainly, us bjjers should learn to stop being such pussies, get in superb condition, and put a little elbow grease into our moves. and just so you wrestlers dont get too cocky, you bitches need to learn some finesse too :D

lonewolf_454 said:
..for wrestlers.

Took my first wrestling class at R1 Gym, taught by Vladimir Matyushenko. Jesus, that's a workout. My background is solely BJJ (90% with the gi) so I was a little in the deepend. I think most of the guys in the class either currently wrestle with a program or used to.

Anyway, starting to realize why all wrestlers are freakishly strong and conditioned. Definately going to invest in some headgear, my ears are aching.

But what's with the forearm club upside the head? Everyguy I sparred with pulled that, after awhile I was startin' to see stars
Good to here you are giving it a go.

As for the forearm club, that is just going for a collar tie up or using it as a setup. But I'm sure that the other wrestlers knew you were new to the sport so they were probably swinging with a little more force; just a little welcome tap.

SwiftMcvay said:
Man, thats pretty fucking weak. Why would you be scared of getting taken down, because if the wrestler doesn't know BJJ he could end up taking you down and putting himself right into an armbar/triangle/kimura, especially from a purple belt.

I'm taking BJJ right now and I want to learn some wrestling. I'm going to be transferring to Texas tech in 6 months to a year, if I got into really good shape would I be able to walk on to the wrestling team? I know I will get thrown around and get my ass kicked, and I don't plan on competiting since i have not wrestling experience, but If i got my ass kicked by some college wrestlers I would eventually get good at takedowns, and good takedown defense for MMA, right?
Tech doesn't have an ncaa sanctioned team (no TX university/college does), they have a club team that participates in the NCWA. They are part of the Southwest Conference which includes schools from the defunct Southwest Conference, Big 12 teams that don't have ncaa sanctioned teams, several Texas colleges & I believe a few intermural or freshmen teams from a few schools with NCAA teams. With almost all club teams if you show up you can participate, so if you do transfer definitely give it a try.

Since I heard of Alexander Karelin and watched him fight my respect for wrestling was there. They don

tie up, drop level, shoot, commit to it, keep your head up, follow through.

I'm starting to hear these words in my dreams..

Headgear is lifesaver.

Wrestling hurts.

love it

ive posted this in another thread but i figured i would aski it here
im doing bjj and combat submission wrestling
is freestyle wrestling to much to add to the mix?
also can anyone give me some points to what freestlye is?
cheers

I'd like to supplement some wrestling training with BJJ. It's really good especially if you're doing
NHB.

Back