New Evan Tanner feature film in the works

Titleboxe

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Former UFC middleweight champion Evan Tanner will be memorialized in a new feature film titled “The Power of 1”

Tanner, a pioneer in the sport and winner of the UFC’s middleweight title in 2005, died under tragic circumstances in 2008 while on a solo expedition deep into the California desert.

He taught himself to fight at a championship level via instructional videotapes, and went on to revolutionize the sport with his innovative approach. He was reluctant to identify himself as merely a fighter. “I always thought of myself as the poet, the writer or the philosopher,” he said.

Razak (Movie Director) said Tanner “was an incredible human being, and it’s important to me to make a film that would dispel the myth that he committed suicide. Like any of us, he had his dark days, but the truth is that he was a man genuinely in love with life and its possibilities. Being able to tell the stories of the fighters who helped build the UFC — while also being true to who they were as people — is essential for this sport’s history.”

SOURCE:

RIP Evan Tanner, a true renaissance man.

Tanner was one of the first fighters I really got behind when new to mma.

He was nice enough to have a brief back and fourth on two occasions with me through his old MySpace account years back. Seemed like a nice humble person.

I'll look forwards to this feature.

Not sure how you can dispel the notion of it possibly having been a suicide. He was obviously very intelligent, didn't bring enough water with him (any water?), went to a spot because there was supposed to have been water there at some time in the past, didn't bother to check if water was still there (ground could have shifted, dry due to the season, etc.), and died. Even if it was suicide, it doesn't take away form his accomplishments as a fighter and the fact that just about everyone that knew him said he was pretty fucking cool. Sounds like a non-issue really.

Didn't Matt Hamill have a movie made after him as well?

Former UFC middleweight champion Evan Tanner will be memorialized in a new feature film titled “The Power of 1”

Tanner, a pioneer in the sport and winner of the UFC’s middleweight title in 2005, died under tragic circumstances in 2008 while on a solo expedition deep into the California desert.

He taught himself to fight at a championship level via instructional videotapes, and went on to revolutionize the sport with his innovative approach. He was reluctant to identify himself as merely a fighter. “I always thought of myself as the poet, the writer or the philosopher,” he said.

Razak (Movie Director) said Tanner “was an incredible human being, and it’s important to me to make a film that would dispel the myth that he committed suicide. Like any of us, he had his dark days, but the truth is that he was a man genuinely in love with life and its possibilities. Being able to tell the stories of the fighters who helped build the UFC — while also being true to who they were as people — is essential for this sport’s history.”

SOURCE:

RIP Evan Tanner, a true renaissance man.
He had a similar ending to a book I read. Into the Wild. It was made into a movie. I liked Tanner back in the day.

He had a similar ending to a book I read. Into the Wild. It was made into a movie. I liked Tanner back in the day.

Tbh that book/movie has such a huge cult following, there's a decent chance that partially inspired what happened. Not suicide necessarily but more of a "what happens, happens" sort of vibe.

Not sure how you can dispel the notion of it possibly having been a suicide. He was obviously very intelligent, didn't bring enough water with him (any water?), went to a spot because there was supposed to have been water there at some time in the past, didn't bother to check if water was still there (ground could have shifted, dry due to the season, etc.), and died. Even if it was suicide, it doesn't take away form his accomplishments as a fighter and the fact that just about everyone that knew him said he was pretty fucking cool. Sounds like a non-issue really.

It's conceivable. But if someone planned suicide in that way they clearly don't want people knowing they did that by casting enough doubt on what happened. Think the best way to respect him would be to honor his wishes if that is indeed what he was doing.

Yep. Never watched it.

Only fighter documentary/movie I've seen was Fightville. I've been a fan of Dustin Porier ever since.

He was nice enough to have a brief back and fourth on two occasions with me through his old MySpace account years back. Seemed like a nice humble person.

He was one of my first favorites too

<2>

Yes it's called the Hammer.I watched it again last year it's pretty good.low budget film but it kept my attention throughout.

Also Tanners documentary "I once was a champion " is a great watch.

MMA movies are usually stupid and I avoid them, but I'll watch this one.

One of my favorite fighters will definitely watch this.

Evan was a good man. Miss talking with him. He gave me a Chute Boxe shirt before his comeback fight against Okami.

He trained for alot of that camp there down in SoCal

I've never heard of it.

...and neither has Matt Hamill.
giphy.gif

Those myspace "booze" bender threads were legendary.

Back