New DVD: BJJ Blue Belt Requirements

Roy Dean

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xY6YZWi8LsU&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xY6YZWi8LsU&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

All,

I'm very excited to announce the release of my latest project: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Blue Belt Requirements. The blue belt is the first step in the journey of BJJ, and this 2 DVD set leads you through the positional escapes, armlocks, chokes, leg locks, guard passes and takedowns necessary for the rank. Also included are perspectives on the journey from white belt to black belt, a look at BJJ combinations, competition footage, and 3 dynamic blue belt demonstrations.

Simply click here to order a copy today!

Best,

Roy Dean

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xY6YZWi8LsU&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xY6YZWi8LsU&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

All,

I'm very excited to announce the release of my latest project: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Blue Belt Requirements. The blue belt is the first step in the journey of BJJ, and this 2 DVD set leads you through the positional escapes, armlocks, chokes, leg locks, guard passes and takedowns necessary for the rank. Also included are perspectives on the journey from white belt to black belt, a look at BJJ combinations, competition footage, and 3 dynamic blue belt demonstrations.

Simply click here to order a copy today!

Best,

Roy Dean

Love your work Roy! I always here nothing but great things about you, and the videos that you post are alway top notch!

I am a blue belt under Roy Harris...so most of this material should be familar to me...but i really want to see your take on the various requirement of a blue belt in BJJ

I would love to get a copy of this, but seeing as i am a student right now...i am so broke it is not even funny...maybe later this summer!:icon_chee

Anyway

here is to training with you someday!

good training to you

Thanks for posting Roy, I love the videos you put up on youtube.

Do Roy's students do well in competition at the same rate as most other academies?

I'm a big fan of standardized technique requirements for blue belt testing.

The reason is that I always felt the blue belt was really to signify that you now could perform the basic BJJ techniques from almost all positions. I think a list of all those core techniques is very helpful.

When you are a white belt, I think it can be very confusing to understand how everything fits together. A formal curriculum really helps you know what the core basics are and how they fit together. I think a cursory knowledge of all the basics in BJJ is essentially what a blue belt means, and a list of techniques is the easiest way I know of to gain that cursory knowledge.

For belts more advanced than blue, I don't really see much of a point to lists of techniques. I think at that point you really need to just refine the basics you already know while branching off a little to go more in depth with the topics that interest you.

But I'm only a blue belt myself, so my own perceptions of what the belts mean will probably change quite a bit as I continue to train.

i am blue belt and haven't learn any leg locks yet.
Generally, leg locks are not covered too much in most BJJ places. Where I train, everyone uses leg locks, but they are not covered in the technique portion of class. Thing is, everyone knows not to spaz on a leg lock and injure someone, so it's all good.

Shit, I kneebarred someone today, and toe holded someone earlier this week. I also got caught in an inverted heel hook the other day by a fellow blue belt. I never received formal instruction regarding these techniques, but I watch a lot of leg lock instructionals/footage, and have learned through trial and error what works, and what does not.

If they are not frowned upon, just go for them occasionally. A game without leg locks and leg lock defense is not complete.

thanks for the video. i love the throws.

it's nice to know i'm getting close.

very cool videos. I'm a big fan of yours and Roy Harris. Both of you guys offer a refreshing perspective of BJJ. Best of luck

most places disallow whites from doing any leg locks because of the danger of some leg locks like the heel hook and most comps disallow leg locks for whites

^^^

Thats because most white belts are spazzy teenagers who will end up injuring someone or themselves by trying to perform techs they don't understand. I think it is fine to wait a year or more before introducing lower body subs.

There is a slightly lower threshold between pain and real damage with most lower body subs (Notice I said most not all).

^^^

Thats because most white belts are spazzy teenagers who will end up injuring someone or themselves by trying to perform techs they don't understand. I think it is fine to wait a year or more before introducing lower body subs.

There is a slightly lower threshold between pain and real damage with most lower body subs (Notice I said most not all).

true that. my trainer tell us not to use leg locks but some students do what they think is "right" and do some shitty leg locks that don't even sink in half the time. out of respect i never go for them, not until im taught them. haha.

I would also like to know how your students go in competition and whether you incourage them to compete as apart of getting the blue belt.

i am blue belt and haven't learn any leg locks yet.
Depends on where you train I guess. I learned leglocks from Rickson black and brown belts back when I was a white belt myself.

I"m a blue we I learn leg locks, toe holds, heel hooks, etc...

It's not different then an arm-bar, neck crank, shoulder lock, etc...

If you spaz on these or don't train them correctly you can hurt someone's arm, elbow, shoulder, etc....

Got a lot of respect for you Roy, Watched your blue belt demos and what not and it seems your boys flow very well.

I've seen this video before. What led me to it was a Roy Dean YouTube instructional that I LOVED! Talked about breaking things down! However, I don't agree with this method. I'm in a Gracie school, so for us to move up, either Royce or Rodrigo come put on a seminar, then watch us roll (or roll with us). If you're proficient, you get the belt. I think it's better that way because doing things against a real opponent in real time speed in my opinion is a better way to gauge true ability.

Side note rant: I looked at Roy Dean's website, and to take 1 BJJ class per week is $100 a month! At 1 class a week, it seems like it would take forever to learn these moves (or any moves really). That's crazy money!

I disagree Cheath:

I believe your instructor who watches you roll everyday and knows you best, knows when it is time for you to move up. Not if someone comes down for a seminar and watches you roll for 2 hours and says. Here ya go!

As i learn Jiu Jitsu, its always better to stay in the rules.

So Leglocks and Neckcranks are forbitten...

I dont waste my engerie to learn stuff that i cant use in a competition. When i am a brownbelt, i can think about leglocks... but not as a whitebelt!

regards

Back