Economy New CPTPP just activated - leaving USA in the cold

Throttlehead

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Canada and 5 other nations pull trigger on world’s biggest trade deal — leaving America out in the cold.

The world’s most radical trade pact has come into force across the Pacific as the U.S. sulks on the sidelines, marking a stunning erosion in American strategic leadership.

Eleven countries are pressing ahead with the Comprehensive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP), defying barely-disguised efforts by the Trump administration to kill the treaty.

A vanguard of Japan, Singapore, Mexico, Australia, Canada and New Zealand activated the treaty over the weekend, ripping down barriers to trade in almost all goods. It eliminates 18,000 tariffs and slashes others in stages over coming years.

The great irony is that the U.S. itself drafted much of the original text under the Obama administration, aiming to ensure that Washington, not Beijing, writes the rules of global trade and commerce in the 21st century.

The pact opens up trade in services on the basis of equal treatment. It cuts the costs of customs clearance, rules of origin and compliance to a minor friction. Once Vietnam, Malaysia, Peru, Chile and Brunei have ratified the treaty it will cover 13.5 per cent of global GDP, bigger than the EU’s post-Brexit market and a faster-growing region of the global economy.

South Korea, Thailand, Taiwan, Indonesia and Colombia have all expressed interest in joining. So has the U.K., despite being in the Atlantic. It promises to become the world’s biggest free trade zone in short order, and perhaps the nucleus of a new global order.

The partnership – earlier known as the TPP – was originally a tool of U.S. foreign policy. It was to anchor the “Asian pivot” and underpin the US system of military and diplomatic alliances around the Pacific Rim.

In the words of one former U.S. defence secretary it was worth more to American power than another aircraft carrier battle group. Above all, it was a way to “contain” the hegemonic reflexes of China.

Instead it is the U.S. that has contained itself. President Donald Trump pulled the country out of the talks within days of taking office in January 2017, deeming it a “potential disaster” for American workers. Critics say it will go down as the greatest strategic blunder of his presidency.

Read the link for rest of story.

It's a damn shame we're not involved.

It would have given Trump even more (if not all the) firepower to shit on China in this tariff war..

oh well.. let's just sit back and watch other countries claim the share of trade we should be benefitting from. I know our cattle farmers are crying their eyes out cause they just lost major market share in asia to Australia...

Last edited:
It's a damn shame we're not involved.

It would have given Trump even more (if not all the) firepower to shit on China in this tariff war..

oh well.. let's just sit back and watch other countries claim the share of trade we should be benefitting from. I know our cattle farmers are crying their eyes out cause they just lost major market share in asia to Australia...
Hey he's just keeping campaign promises, he traded this for a wall.

The great irony is that the U.S. itself drafted much of the original text under the Obama administration, aiming to ensure that Washington, not Beijing, writes the rules of global trade and commerce in the 21st century.
It's still working to fulfill that goal as China was kept out.

It's still working to fulfill that goal as China was kept out.
What is "Its"?

"Some Chinese officials judge it wiser to drop the neo-imperial pretensions and aspire instead to work more modestly through the multilateral framework of the CPTPP. Mr Trump has conveniently left them an open door."

Wasn't this pretty much what was expected by most experts?

Fuck trade deals written by lobbyists.

Those countries politicians are extra dumb if they signed a trade deal written by lobbyists for corporate America.

What is "Its"?

"Some Chinese officials judge it wiser to drop the neo-imperial pretensions and aspire instead to work more modestly through the multilateral framework of the CPTPP. Mr Trump has conveniently left them an open door."

I'm assuming that "It's" is Bejing not being able to write the rules. Which I don't think anyone involved in this would want that so it's still doing that. The only thing that's changed is that Washington doesn't write the rules either.

The article says the door was left open for China but doesn't really say how. Which leads me to believe this is the authors opinion more than it is a fact.

I'm assuming that "It's" is Bejing not being able to write the rules. Which I don't think anyone involved in this would want that so it's still doing that. The only thing that's changed is that Washington doesn't write the rules either.

The article says the door was left open for China but doesn't really say how. Which leads me to believe this is the authors opinion more than it is a fact.
This, the treaty is still working as expected, without the US.

Back