Economy New California governor, Gavin Newsome, proposes tax on drinking water

Mos def tried to warn us about this a decade ago btw

Dude. Read that article you posted again, because I don't think it says what you think.

Providing funds for communities to obtain clean water for a town, is not the boogeyman man you are looking for, especially considering their are no details on how he plans to raise those taxes.

Doesn't matter.

The Fact that he wants to Tax drinking water is absolutely abominable and absurd.

Yeah, it is abhorrent that the richest state in the richest country WITH THE HIGHEST TAXES mismanages funds so badly that they can't seem to function without constantly adding taxes and still their drinking water isn't clean, there's graffiti and trash all over the place, human shit on every block of SF, and the most homeless people in the country and a good percentage of the population isn't even legally allowed to be there.

Maybe they could take it out of the $158 million that was designated for school lunches but was instead spent on lawn sprinklers and salaries for a district TV network.

Basically this. They will frame the new tax as a very small addition, then once people are used to it, it will be ABHORRENT to think of removing the tax. Then, the tax will have to be increased to hire some new bureaucrat, something like Head of Water Quality Control, who will in turn have to hire more bureaucrats, then the tax will be bumped up.

Wash, rinse, repeat. Oh wait you can't because the water sucks.

Seems to me the water companies delivering this unsafe water should be fined and pay to make the water safe to drink.

So they should Prozac is expensive.

In any society short of Utopia there are almost an infinite number of societal imperfections, which in turn provides Democrats with an for an infinite number of justifications for taxation. You can be sure they'll use every justification every chance they get.

The thing I never understand this is if Californians love taxes so much, great, they can keep voting in democrats until the rate is 100%. But why they hell do they insist on inflicting tax and spend Democrats on everyone else at the Federal level?

And to the guy that made a crack about "flyover county", you're the reason Trump is President. And they'll vote for him again just to show your condescending ass the finger.

I'd say Californians are less effected by Trump than almost any other state.

Doesn't matter.

The Fact that he wants to Tax drinking water is absolutely abominable and absurd.

I think taxing drinking water is very reasonable. However it should be based on useage.

I'd suggest something like every house gets 20L per day per resident tax free. After that you incur tax.

They shouldn't need a tax, just charge more for the water. Water in CA is already ridiculously cheap compared to other parts of the country.

Well....damn
that's my neck of the woods. We have great water source though, even a wastewater treatment plant due to the Marine Base. I think this is more like Ridgecrest, Baker, and Johannesburg and shitty places like that

$12 a year per household to get potable water to 6 million people, and people are complaining?<{poor?}>

Also, aren't the areas that will benefit pretty red, isn't the southern San Joaquin Valley Nunes' territory?

You just don't like the fact that what I said is true. If democrats could figure out a way to tax you for breathing, they absolutely would.

I also find it quite amusing watching you constantly curse farmers with your mouth and belly full. You're clearly incapable of sustaining your own food supply for a full year without utilizing a farmer's services.

On the other hand, I have the knowledge in my head to sustain my own independent food supply for several years if I needed to. I thank the Lord no such calling upon my knowledge has been necessary.

Chew on that the next time you're chewing of a farmers food. ;)
lol what a lame flex.
You're a farmer and you know how to farm better than the guy you replied to? Have you ever met a plumber that bragged that he could fix leaks better than you can?

lol what a lame flex.
You're a farmer and you know how to farm better than the guy you replied to? Have you ever met a plumber that bragged that he could fix leaks better than you can?

You'll notice that I never denigrate professions like plumbing, unlike the poster in question that repeatedly denigrates Farmers.

The poster in questions hubris required some checking.

Look up the California water wars. There are some large corporations who have used old water laws, and scooped up tons of the states water.
The Wonderful Co.

Actually a horrible company(owned by a billionaire in Beverly Hills by way of NJ) tricked CA into giving him massive freshwater rights by filling up his privately owned aquifers during surplus years then agreeing to buy it back from him during drought years. He also sells this water to nearby desperate farmers.

What he is doing is theft. Californians should be razing his farms to the ground and the government should seize his properties.

$12 a year per household to get potable water to 6 million people, and people are complaining?<{poor?}>

Also, aren't the areas that will benefit pretty red, isn't the southern San Joaquin Valley Nunes' territory?
It won’t benefit 6 million people, the study says that since 2012, approx 6 million people have received water from a water supplier that has at some point been in violation. But this tax actually is expected to help water districts that served closer to 500k citizens who receive water pretty much year round that is undrinkable

They shouldn't need a tax, just charge more for the water. Water in CA is already ridiculously cheap compared to other parts of the country.
This wouldn’t address the issue at all. The problem isn’t the areas (vast majority of California) that recieves quality water and already pays a lot for the water. This is the poorest of rural farming communities that can’t afford even basic water treatment/maintenance in the first place. So just saying raise water prices would solve nothing in this instance.

Back