New boxing coach...

rubenastley

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
hey guys,
just recently, a new boxing coach has replaced a another boxing coach which had to move overseas for employment reasons.. the boxing is just casual boxing that is supplied twice a week as its based in a jiu jitsu gym (i train bjj mainly).. the catch is when he was teaching the lead left hook, he demonstrated with the palm of the hooking hand facing the floor.. i asked that i was taught to have the palm facing back at me.. he then harps on about how shit that is, how crap the old boxing coach was and how good he was (cocky much?) (old boxing coach has been training 15+years, while the new one has trained 10) which i found highly disrespectful, as i would never expect to see a bjj black belt to disrespect another black belts preferred style.. the question is who is technically correct? my old coach said both were fine but he preferred his method, while new coach said only his method is correct..

thoughts?

Even with as little as I know, I just trained some supplementary thaiboxing with a seasoned dutch kickboxer as the trainer yesterday and I asked the same thing. And he basically said: Some boxers do horizontal and vertical hooks. Look at the pros and there is no real preference, just do whatever you think suits you best instead of overthinking it. Because both obviously works.

Edit: I think I'll stick with horizontal hooks to the face atleast. It's really all about preference unlike when I do kyokushin. The hooks are completely different there.

yes thats exactly what i thought, it was preference.. but the fact is that he is so confident that his method is the only method that should be used, which he had to further disrespect others to get his point across is beyond me

From what I've noticed having the palm face you provides more power while facing the floor gives more speed in the hook. Personally I almost always go with palm facing me.

I was taught to "check your watch" with a hook, and I've read that vertical hooks ensure that you hit with the pointer/middle knuckles, whereas horizontal hooks can connect with the other two knuckles if your aim is off, or the target moves, etc. Hard to program myself that way - horizontal seems more natural - but I've mostly gotten used to it.

With your palm facing the floor you can hold your elbow higher. Palm facing you, the elbow tends to drop. Palm down reduces the risk/ability of you opponent to counter.

I would advocate Palm facing the floor.

c0r1nth14n - I like the 'check your watch' analogy.

My boxing coach says palm facing me. He says if you "check your watch" (I like that too) there is a greater risk of hand injury. But as far as my preference I leave the palm facing me when I go to the body and turn it over when I go to the head. Mainly because as stated the elbow comes up when I turn the palm It just feels more natural. As far as your boxing coach it sounds like he has some ego issues.

Back