New bodyweight workout regime

samuel_L_Jackson.gif

Nice, but I was thinking of the Jackson pic from Pulp Fiction with the caption, "The FAQ motherfucker, can you read it?!":icon_chee

Wow, The value of calisthenics and other body weight exercises is greatly under appreciated on this sub-forum.

I would venture to guess as a martial artist or any other athlete you could easily do all of the training you need to supplement your sport with out the use of traditional weight lifting. Obviously there would be some exceptions to this rule, figuring most definitely weightlifters and football players ( notably, linemen)

You can make plenty of strength gains with body weight exercises. But if you want a 315 bench you have to lay under a bar. But most of us don't need that.

Push ups and dips will make you plenty strong. If they're not hard enough, try them with one leg elevated, how about a clap?, or you can elevate you legs. Still not hard enough? How about a round of handstand push ups on a parallel bars? (okay, the muscle group has changed).

There are plenty of great body weight exercises. Use the traditional ones. Plus be a little creative. I've brought in some of my Capoeira training to come up with some interesting versions of squats. I've also added some yoga moves as well. Both of these have done wonders to improve my mobility and increase my strength over a broad range of movement.

You could also wear a weigh vest. ( yes, I leave myself open with that statement)

Wow, The value of calisthenics and other body weight exercises is greatly under appreciated on this sub-forum.

I would venture to guess as a martial artist or any other athlete you could easily do all of the training you need to supplement your sport with out the use of traditional weight lifting. Obviously there would be some exceptions to this rule, figuring most definitely weightlifters and football players ( notably, linemen)

You can make plenty of strength gains with body weight exercises. But if you want a 315 bench you have to lay under a bar. But most of us don't need that.

Push ups and dips will make you plenty strong. If they're not hard enough, try them with one leg elevated, how about a clap?, or you can elevate you legs. Still not hard enough? How about a round of handstand push ups on a parallel bars? (okay, the muscle group has changed).

There are plenty of great body weight exercises. Use the traditional ones. Plus be a little creative. I've brought in some of my Capoeira training to come up with some interesting versions of squats. I've also added some yoga moves as well. Both of these have done wonders to improve my mobility and increase my strength over a broad range of movement.

You could also wear a weigh vest. ( yes, I leave myself open with that statement)

I add in various calisthenics to my weight lifting program. BUT it is used to supplement a weight training program, NOT replace it. Bodyweight exercises limit the resistance being used, thus limiting the strength that can be gained. Exercises like elevating a leg during push ups increases the difficulty of the movement because it puts more strain on the core, it DOES NOT increase resistance on the primary muscles i.e. the pectoralis major and minor. So it may be great for your core, but will not increase chest or shoulder strength. As far as bodyweight squats replacing weighted squats..........come on.

They are one tool in the toolbelt, not the staple of a strength and conditioning program^^

If you lived in the desert or some shit and had no exercise equipment, not even big ass rocks or trees, then you would have a reason to do just BW exercises. If there is anything close to heavy around you, let alone a barbell, your time is better spent actually getting stronger.

I add in various calisthenics to my weight lifting program. BUT it is used to supplement a weight training program, NOT replace it. Bodyweight exercises limit the resistance being used, thus limiting the strength that can be gained. Exercises like elevating a leg during push ups increases the difficulty of the movement because it puts more strain on the core, it DOES NOT increase resistance on the primary muscles i.e. the pectoralis major and minor. So it may be great for your core, but will not increase chest or shoulder strength. As far as bodyweight squats replacing weighted squats..........come on.

sure the strength gains you can make with weights are greater than those you can make with out. That is a statement of the obvious.

But to say that it is impossible to come up with an effective training regiment without the use of tradition weight lifting if false as well. Plenty of strength gains can be made through calisthenic exercises. And I would venture to guess the strength gains one could make in a well thought out and creative, purely calisthenic program would be sufficient for most sports. I would also venture to guess the the improved muscular endure offered by a calisthenic routine more be more beneficial than that offered by a weightlifting routine.

In short it's like this; Body weight will not replace weights. But body weight/ calisthenics can offer an equally challenging alternative to weightlifting. However muscular development in a calisthenic routing will be more focused on muscular endurance.

However muscular development in a calisthenic routing will be more focused on muscular endurance.

You pretty much made my arguement for me. That's the reason it is not used solely for strength training and weight training is. An athlete's training program should be periodized, focusing on bulding maximal strength in the "off season". Since calsthenics do no do that, a program consisting of all body weight exercises would be foolish.

not entirely the case. I'm a rock climber. The bulk of my training is spent rock climbing.
I supplement that with body weight exercises since that's the heaviest thing I'm going to be moving. Huge quads are going to do me any good on the wall. As matter of it, the extra weigh will hurt.

I believe there a many other athletes out there that fit into some form of my mold.

the answer to everyone's training routine can not be found solely at the grips of a 45 lb bar and some plates.

not entirely the case. I'm a rock climber. The bulk of my training is spent rock climbing.
I supplement that with body weight exercises since that's the heaviest thing I'm going to be moving. Huge quads are going to do me any good on the wall. As matter of it, the extra weigh will hurt.

I believe there a many other athletes out there that fit into some form of my mold.

the answer to everyone's training routine can not be found solely at the grips of a 45 lb bar and some plate
s.

Of course not. I doubt elite Marathon runners will be using Starting Strength either. But TS is asking about BW strength training for Martial Arts, and in this case, a proven free weight program like SS or 5/3/1 is the best option.

Of course not. I doubt elite Marathon runners will be using Starting Strength either. But TS is asking about BW strength training for Martial Arts, and in this case, a proven free weight program like SS or 5/3/1 is the best option.

perhaps there in lies the question; what is more beneficial to a martial artist; conditioning or strength?

oh well, I just like to roll in here every once and a while and represent the conditioning side of the argument.

perhaps there in lies the question; what is more beneficial to a martial artist; conditioning or strength?

oh well, I just like to roll in here every once and a while and represent the conditioning side of the argument.

Both. I think the big issue for most people is figuring out how much emphasis to put on them and how to divide their time between strength training, conditioning and skill work.

You made an excellent point with two words "skill work".
Practice most at which you wish to excel.

And I would venture to guess the strength gains one could make in a well thought out and creative, purely calisthenic program would be sufficient for most sports.

I would say that is pure bs. Even in say football (soccer), a sport not really about max strength, players will engage in heavy weighlifting in squats, in oly lifts, to develop strength and power.

Calisthenics are not even nearly close enough to make required strength gains for a large number of sports and in all that time you spend thinking up ridiculously contrived and difficult body weight exercises would have been better spent squatting.

I reckon even a rock climber not on a calorie excess diet would benefit immensely from a proper strength programme.

I would say that is pure bs. Even in say football (soccer), a sport not really about max strength, players will engage in heavy weighlifting in squats, in oly lifts, to develop strength and power.

Calisthenics are not even nearly close enough to make required strength gains for a large number of sports and in all that time you spend thinking up ridiculously contrived and difficult body weight exercises would have been better spent squatting.

I reckon even a rock climber not on a calorie excess diet would benefit immensely from a proper strength programme.

hey genius, have you done much calisthenic training?

I have about 20 years of body building experience ( yeah, that's what weight lifting was when I was doing it), about 5 years of Capoeira, and another 4 of rock climbing. I tell you at 45 yrs old I'm still quite strong with out the use of weights.

here's a quick leg workout for the soccer player you mentioned:

20 pistols each leg
20 box jumps 36"
20 step ups 36"
20 side lunges each side
50 yard sprints
tailor the rounds and effort to the individual.

God damn dude, there is no argument. You work your weakness or that which you decide to progress in, both have a place and there is no general criteria of "what is better", everything should be individualized.

20 pistols each leg
20 box jumps 36"
20 step ups 36"
20 side lunges each side
50 yard sprints
tailor the rounds and effort to the individual.

This is conditioning/muscular endurance work. Not strength.

God damn dude, there is no argument. You work your weakness or that which you decide to progress in, both have a place and there is no general criteria of "what is better", everything should be individualized.

+1. I hate when people create an argument when there isn't one.

The thread looks a lot like a body weight routine for strengthening to me. I tried to answer the TS's request in a format in which he inquired about. Unlike the standard post that would have him run the standard big three lifts.

And it seems like when ever you post anything in this sub-forum outside of that, you get shit for it.

And if you you're quoting me on my use of the term argument, it was meant in the form to express a side of a discussion not used in the combative sense.

I have about 20 years of body building experience ( yeah, that's what weight lifting was when I was doing it), about 5 years of Capoeira, and another 4 of rock climbing. I tell you at 45 yrs old I'm still quite strong with out the use of weights.

First: body-building is not the same as strength training.

Second: how are you measuring strength if you aren't moving heavy shit?

The thread looks a lot like a body weight routine for strengthening to me. I tried to answer the TS's request in a format in which he inquired about. Unlike the standard post that would have him run the standard big three lifts.

And it seems like when ever you post anything in this sub-forum outside of that, you get shit for it.

And if you you're quoting me on my use of the term argument, it was meant in the form to express a side of a discussion not used in the combative sense.

I'm all for getting stronger with bodyweight exercises, but I don't see a good way for actually getting stronger in the lower body. You can work a front lever, planche, all sorts of exercises... but what can you really do for leg/lowerbody strength... pistols? Box jumps? Not good enough. So yeah, for some sports I suppose calisthenics are fine, but if you want good results in something where you need to be explosive/have a high standing vertical jump, some sort of heavy weight on your back will produce much, much faster results.

lol poor Muscles can never catch a break.

Back