New blog and workout plan

Vedic

Purple Belt
Reaction score
For those that are interested. I won't be changing it any, but for those that would like to read it.

Vedic Coach

Havent finished reading it yet but I was really impressed with this

Strength Testing:

* Power-clean(from the ground)

* Back-squat (3 rep max top of the thigh parallel to the ground) or front squat (if there is concern of a back injury)

I always wondered why the fuck the NFL does 225lb reps on the bench to determine a players strength. You would think they would do something similar to this. If USA Bobsledding can figure this out, why cant the NFL?

I like the general plan it looks like you're using. I'd concentrate most of your maximum strength and explosive strength loading in the first 6-7 weeks or so (which it looks like you are planning on doing) and then the second 6-7 weeks should be focused on the running and vertical jump using horizontal bounds and shock method plyometrics (which should be the last 3-4 weeks or so). The transition period between the two overall phases is where I'd put in the complex method loading. The high volume explosive bounding and runs would be the MAP and MAC phases progressing from the short sprints to the longer ones. I'd also make sure to rest 1-2 seconds between reps during the max explosive strength phase. I'm curious to see how the program goes, I think you have the right idea overall.

Right on, thanks for the tips and ideas.

No problem, PM me with any questions when you're putting together the rest of the program.

Very interesting stuff, I'll certainly be following along.

Board Message

Otherwise, just go to fortified-iron.com/forum, the training journal section and find the log of the use named knobbers.

Oh, I forgot that.

2043-fail-camera.jpg

I always wondered why the fuck the NFL does 225lb reps on the bench to determine a players strength. You would think they would do something similar to this. If USA Bobsledding can figure this out, why cant the NFL?

There's some football players that work out at the YMCA that I go to and I've asked them the same thing. They all agree with me that the squat, deadlift, or power clean would be a much test of strength than the bench press.

I do find it odd. I am not sure how the other olympic combines work. But for this one it is a explosive oriented sport so it makes sense. Makes you wonder why the NFL etc won't update and change to current times.

Bench is one of my strongest lifts, to bad it isn't included lol, but I don't mind this set up at all.

I do find it odd. I am not sure how the other olympic combines work. But for this one it is a explosive oriented sport so it makes sense. Makes you wonder why the NFL etc won't update and change to current times.

Bench is one of my strongest lifts, to bad it isn't included lol, but I don't mind this set up at all.

I think it's so funny every year during the NFL draft when I hear Mel Kiper Jr. talking about draft prospects. In addition to some of the weirdest and dumbest language ever -- character pick, value pick, player is always around the ball, etc. -- I always laugh when he says player X isn't strong enough because he only benched 225 pounds Y number of times.

The only reason I can think of, and it isnt a good one, is because the combine and draft are so popular these days. They want people talking about it, and more people are going to be running around screaming what a badass Shawn Meriman is for benching 225lbs 32 times, than if he squats over 600lbs. Your average person has no idea how hard it is to squat 600lbs, but benching 225 32 times makes anyone a badass.

Now im sure this isnt the reason, because it would be a really bad one, but I cant for the life of me understand why else they would have it so mixed up.

The only reason I can think of, and it isnt a good one, is because the combine and draft are so popular these days. They want people talking about it, and more people are going to be running around screaming what a badass Shawn Meriman is for benching 225lbs 32 times, than if he squats over 600lbs. Your average person has no idea how hard it is to squat 600lbs, but benching 225 32 times makes anyone a badass.

Now im sure this isnt the reason, because it would be a really bad one, but I cant for the life of me understand why else they would have it so mixed up.

I don't even think they should make the strength benchmark the squat. I think the power clean or the overhead press or both makes the most sense. And I think the NFL could easily educate people on the difficulty of both those movements.

We don't do overhead pressing, we toss shot puts lol, luckily Dan John works two blocks away to help me with that lol.

BTW today's workout kicked my ass:icon_lol:

Back