New Beginner Gi

svper

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

I just started out in japanese ju jitsu... and i semi like it. I love the ground parts but the self defense thing is pretty useless imo, but i'm doing it as a favor to a friend. Now after a couple of lessons it's about time i got myself a gi. Since i'm gonna do BJJ this week ( which i'm sure i will love ) i'm gonna buy a decent BJJ Gi to use at both places.

What's a good Beginners GI ( has to be very comfortable and soft) that i can use for both sports and which is durable.

I'm 6' 2" and about 187 pounds , so some Size help would be nice as well.

Since i'm from belgium i'd like it to come from BJJ Gi - Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

or another good webshop.

I can't speak to JJJ, but for BJJ, you'd be between an A3 and A4. I'm 6'1 170 and have trouble finding long enough pants that aren't too wide. Padilla & Sons make good gis for a good price, as do Fuji. I'd recommend calling them for their suggestion on sizing.

I'm about your size (almost exact actually, 6'2 190) and I got a Gameness Pearl A4 and shrunk it and it fits me great. If you're looking for a gi a tad lighter than the pearl look at the feather.

Fuji. It has a more "judo-ish" fit without being baggy which means it should be good for use at your Traditional JJ club as well as being good for BJJ.

James

I'm starting BJJ pretty soon, and I'm wondering this very same thing. I'm about 5' 8", 145 lbs. I looked at the Fuji gis online, and they seem fine, but I noticed that they have a lightweight one and a normal one. Is one really preferable to the other? The lightweight one is about $25 more than the normal weight. Thanks guys.

I'm starting BJJ pretty soon, and I'm wondering this very same thing. I'm about 5' 8", 145 lbs. I looked at the Fuji gis online, and they seem fine, but I noticed that they have a lightweight one and a normal one. Is one really preferable to the other? The lightweight one is about $25 more than the normal weight. Thanks guys.

Not much of a difference, unless you plan on competing. Lightweight GI's are usually for competitions and aren't really for everyday rolling. However, I have two Keiko Raca lightweight GI's and use them all the time. My complaint about Fuji GI's is that they shrink a lot! Personally, for a beginner that is serious about training, I would suggest purchasing a Keiko, Koral, Gameness, or Vulkan GI. I'd stay away from the fancy GI's like Lucky or Pitbull Terrier.

Thanks for the info. Is there any advantage to any of the four brands that you recommended? Also, what are some good places to buy gis online, given that I live in the United States?

I just read through the thread about Bjj gis for under $100, and I've noticed that both the Fushida Mantis gi and the Killer Bee gis seem to be pretty highly recommended in the $100ish price range. Does anyone have experience with both of these gis that can comment on which they preferred? Also, do you find that you like ripstop pants better than the standard gi pants? I've never had a gi before, since I'm just starting, and I want something reliable and comfortable.

Thanks for the info. Is there any advantage to any of the four brands that you recommended? Also, what are some good places to buy gis online, given that I live in the United States?

Metallifan -

We've got some good gi's on sale you can see at our website and since we are in Washington we could just about throw it to you :) If you are ever in Seattle come visit our retail store.

Keven
www.warrior-one.com

Back