New article gives alternative account of GJJ history

yes i always wondered how carlos learned bjj from Maeda when they spent such a short time together..3-4 years atmost.

There is quite a few rustled jimmies from some Gracie students on my FB lol. I've heard there is also a Torres Family that taught BJJ in Brazil but they also taught BJJ to poor people.

Helio Gracie x Yukio Kato

Helio sent a challenge to some Japanese judokas which included Yamaguchi, Kato and Kimura. Yukio Kato, 5th degree black belt was the first. In september of 1951 happened the first fight of the athletes, which was very tough and ended in a draw after three rounds. Helio demanded another fight which happened three weeks later in 29 of september 1951. At the second match, which lasted several minutes, a key element happened: Kato had applied several takedowns and tried to submit Helio. Both fighters were at the end of the ring, which made the referee ask the match to stop to drag the fighters to the center. During this time, Helio applied a choke and Kato passed out. The infraction wasn’t counted and Helio was declared the winner.

Fortunately we have video of the fight. You can see it yourself starting at 5:20. They stayed at the end of the ring and were never moved to the center.

[YT]znksMXsR6mo[/YT]

On the other hand the video proves that this fight was staged.

wait.. people actually believe things the gracie family says..

I've never believed any of these mythical Gracie stories. That's why I always liked Carlson despite his fractured relationship with BTT: no bullshit. He took his techniques into the ring and when he got old his students picked up the flag of BJJ and carried on. No nonsense about Gracie JJ being perfect.

So we are not to believe what the Gracies say, but believe these other people why? What proof are they bringing?

Geo Omori was a japanese judoka that had gotten known as “the king of mixed martial arts” during the early years when vale-tudo was arriving to Brazil.
- that term did not exist back then

Back then, Geo said that Carlos Gracie – considered the creator of the BJJ system and the first to start the process that would make the Gracie family known world wide – was not instructed by Maeda, and if he actually was it happened for a short period of time.
- which one is it, was he taught by him or just taught for a little while? A huge difference there if you claim any of this as fact

Depending on who you ask, Helio was also defeated by Oswaldo.
- um, okay , so who should I ask and believe?

The Gracie tried to intimidate his opponent by bringing a coffin to the arena.
- OMG the fake outrage I feel

The only thing worse than the blind Gracie nuthuggers are the blind Gracie nut haters.

http://philosophycommons.typepad.com/the_grumpy_grappler/2014/06/deconstructing-the-gracie-mythology.html
http://philosophycommons.typepad.com/the_grumpy_grappler/2014/06/deconstructing-the-gracie-mythology-part-2.html

Even in the first few UFC's, they didn't bring in a lot of quality opponents (or even attempt to) as guys like Wallid, Gokor, Karelin were not invited (though karelin admits he refuses to engage in real fights). A good martial art with a lot of Marketing 101 is their legacy, and Rener is another capitalizing on this.

http://philosophycommons.typepad.com/the_grumpy_grappler/2014/06/deconstructing-the-gracie-mythology.html
http://philosophycommons.typepad.com/the_grumpy_grappler/2014/06/deconstructing-the-gracie-mythology-part-2.html

Even in the first few UFC's, they didn't bring in a lot of quality opponents (or even attempt to) as guys like Wallid, Gokor, Karelin were not invited (though karelin admits he refuses to engage in real fights). A good martial art with a lot of Marketing 101 is their legacy, and Rener is another capitalizing on this.

I don't have a problem with marketing. It's great how they got the hype going. Sure there were others at the time, but I don't think we would be doing bjj without the Gracies.

Don't get me wrong, their marketing now a days is crazy, like when they say it's a win for gjj, when they don't get subbed but are on the bottom the whole time. Another one was when Royce lost to Hughes and they said it was a victory for gjj because gjj was used to beat Royce. That's nothing but crap.

That Ken Shamrock guy was pretty a good catch wrestler/submission wrestler and in his prime when Royce beat him. Dan Severn was not a walk in the park either

That Ken Shamrock guy was pretty a good catch wrestler/submission wrestler and in his prime when Royce beat him. Dan Severn was not a walk in the park either
Ken was pretty good and enormously strong, but he was no Funaki or Suzuki.

Severn was quite a legit win with his size and world-class wrestling experience, though.

^ I agree with those, Especially Dogstarman's post, but there was a lot of guys not invited intentionally. And some of their marketing was shady tactics designed to inflate.
I might not be doing jiu jitsu, but i'd be doing judo/sambo. And not all o the gracies followed this line of thinking like Rorion or Rener etc
The idea Rickson is 500-0 , "Win for GJJ" , or "we didn't understand the rules".

I think this stuff is super interesting, and I'm not defending the Gracies for their (alleged) misdeeds, but flaws aside, if it wasn't for Helio and Rorion the vast majority of us would still be wearing our doboks breaking boards, if we did martial arts at all.

Are we back at this shit? Back then, we believed ninjitsu was the most deadly art and we had uncles that trained karate and dim mak some fools by touching them.

UFC1 was real because it opened our eyes about what real fighting was about.

Taking anything away from the Gracies about "picking the fighters" is just bullshit.

Fortunately we have video of the fight. You can see it yourself starting at 5:20. They stayed at the end of the ring and were never moved to the center.

[YT]znksMXsR6mo[/YT]

On the other hand the video proves that this fight was staged.

What makes you think it was staged?

None of this is new to anyone who has read Choque. Carlos trained under Jacyntho Ferro (who was a Maeda student) for 2-3 years as a teenager, then around ten years later studied under Donato Pires Dos Reis for another year or two. In between, he and Helio read a lot of books, mostly ones by Irving Hancock and Yukio Tani. This is basically the origin of GJJ, and that early GJJ looks much more like TMA JJJ than what we know as BJJ today. Later the Gracie brothers trained with Geo Omori, Dudu, the Ono brothers, etc. and learned some actual grappling. But what we know as BJJ today was developed mainly by Carlson Gracie and his camp from the 1950's through the 1970's.

What makes you think it was staged?

If you happen to know any judoka try fighting with him while jumping on one foot. Watch it from 1:30, that's total joke. Helio got zero standing experience; his moves are awkward, his posture is vulnerable and this have nothing to do with judo that he claims learning from Mitsuo Maeda.

You can also watch Kimura vs. Helio. See how Kimura takes Helio down, passes guard, gets into pin and finishes. Now we see real fight and Helio gets what he deserves.

Back