New ACC Strategy Underlines Need for A-10 Replacement*updates*

Haha. That article took me back. I grew up an Army brat and at one point, I asked my dad for playing cards and because he was too cheap to go to the PX to buy a real deck, he gave me his Aircraft Recognition Playing Cards:

Along with his vehicle recognition playing cards. I pretty had both decks, silhouettes and basic stats completely memorized when I was 10-11 years old and have been able to visually distinguish, tell you the NATO reporting name and recite the basic stats of old Warsaw Pact aircraft and armored vehicles ever since.

Come in handy a few times, but not when I was in the Army, oddly enough.

Damn you must be the centre of attention at parties with this! :icon_chee

That article essentially repeats what I said earlier in the thread - is it possible? Yes. Is it probable? No. Would it be standard operating procedure (or even smart) for A10 pilots to get that low to go chasing after T90's with their GAU-8's? Absolutely not. Not when things like Maverick, SDB, JDAM and Paveway exist (!!).

Given the range and firepower restrictions inherent in a cannon bound to a jet aircraft, I doubt you'll see a major jet built around its gun in the foreseeable future.

Now a directed energy weapon/laser? Much more plausible...

Hmm good point. From what is been said, the F35 is gonna have a Laser weapon sometimes around 2018, 2020? Boeing is also developing plasma weapons as well.

They should just start building new ones. Everyone I know that has served or currently serving fucking love A-10s. And when I say new ones not planes on the A-10 blueprints. Come up with a modernization of the thing and start production.

I get why the tech heads love the F-35 but my understanding is the thing, economically, is a joke in feasibility.

They should just start building new ones. Everyone I know that has served or currently serving fucking love A-10s. And when I say new ones not planes on the A-10 blueprints. Come up with a modernization of the thing and start production.

I get why the tech heads love the F-35 but my understanding is the thing, economically, is a joke in feasibility.

i like the F-35, but i also don't like it. i think over time it will be a great platform, but i feel like for the price and the amount of aircraft its trying to replace its not feasible or logical.I think it should replace the F-16, AV8 and some old super hornet. However, The F-15s, A-10s...No. i do support an AX2 program, i guess this thread now is a debate on how an A-X 2 program would shape out.

Sidenote:

http://breakingdefense.com/2015/05/...e-wants-fighter-firing-100-kilowatts-by-2022/

PENTAGON: Star Wars fans, calm down. The US Air Force wants to fire a 100-plus-kilowatt laser from a small plane. And not just any airplane, Air Force Research Laboratory officials. The last laser on an airplane

My friends that have or are currently serving like the concept of the F-35 but aren't huge fans of a supersonic aircraft being a troop support. They also love how the A-10 is like a flying tank and it can take a beating.

Back