Never Brace You Core

Noodles03

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score

I would like to hear your guy’s feedback.

At least he's not telling you to exhale all of the air from your lungs/diaphragm before squatting and deadlifting like Jeff Cavaliere.

It reminded me when a chiropractor did his initial assessment on me for a whiplash injury among other things. I wasn't bracing but couldn't stop him from pushing my arm down. When he had me turn my neck, I was solid. He had me do it again and it was the same deal.

There is probably something to it.

I do a lot of cross crawling (marching, walking, animal crawls) and I have noticed an improvement with my nervous system and overall movement. My gait is way, way better than it used to be.

If you have to brace your core like you're taking a dump after eating a large four-cheese pizza for squats more power to you?

A parlor trick like that isn't enough to demonstrate that A) bracing "shuts off the nervous system" and shouldn't be used under heavy loads and B) marching in place for two seconds can "reset your nervous system".

There's so much suggestibility in applied kinesiology. They do similar demonstrations in Z-health and other "neurological" treatment oriented programs. It's a neat trick, and it can be interesting, but it doesn't really tell us much of anything.

When I was in rehab, they brought this lady in the open our eyes to the power of the mind.

She told us some monks put wet robes on and meditated outside.

4 hours later, boom, dry robes.

Magic!!

This HAS to be real.

If you have to brace your core like you're taking a dump after eating a large four-cheese pizza for squats more power to you?

Can you squat heavy without bracing really hard? Is your squat anywhere north of 315?

I keep everything tight (neck to feet) but it feels more intense in the lower body than anywhere else.

And yes, over 315, although it has been years. I don't do the "big three" lifts anymore. I'm 47 and have changed my focus because of injuries.

Why do you ask?

Unless you are lifting very light it's hard to squat heavy without bracing well.

Depends on what you are doing. For a lot of calisthenics exercises, you obviously want your core tensed up.

Revisiting because this is the dumbest fucking shit ever. I was doing front squats the other day and if I hadn't braced my core I would have easily dumped the weight forward. Throwing a belt on made the bracing even more effective.

Back