nerves before training

You guys get nervous when just training? Really? Hmm, it seems to be a common problem. I never get nervous when just in class, even when rolling. We got a really laid back environment at our gym I guess. Serious training and rolling, but noone is like going out there to kill eachother. I rarely get nervous, only in competitions really, and thats not even really nervous as much as it is anxious.

I always have the anxious feeling and I've been training for 2 years! It means I really love submission grappling, what can I say.

Just a quick note to those that feel anxious at any point, whether it be training, work or examinations. I cannot speak from experience in terms of nervousness when training as i don't suffer from this, however at work i have had to give various highly technical presentations to executives with them purposefully grilling me in various forms.
Needless to say this is quite nervracking and i often have anxiety before in the form of anxiousness to the point that i don't want to give the presenation.

I follow two simple rules:-

1) breathe in deep

2) do a long and shallow exhale.

Make sure that the length of the enhale is longer than the in-breathe. You should also practice this when you are in a non-threatening/stressfull situation and see how this positively affects you mood.

I believe and hope this will help.

R

Stoic1 said:
Look at what you just wrote:

"It is more about the fear of the unknown AND THE FEAR OF FAILURE!"

Think about this. Fear of failure is the fear of losing. It is an ego thing. You are afraid. You can try to rationalize it with a syndrome, disorder, or a disease. Fear of failure, losing, and being humiliated is natural. And learning to deal with it can be difficult. But if you are paralyzed by it, or spend a lot of time being consumed by it than you have deeper issues.
Failure has nothing to do with winning or losing! Are you implying you can't feel like a failure while winining at something or that you can't feel that you've succeeded even though you may have lost? For example my fear was that i was going to show up and not be able to catch on to the instructions as quickly as i would of liked or that I may be too out of shape to give my all! What do these things have to do with wining or losing?

once i was getting ready for a competition my school hosts every year, our duals (scholastic wrestling). i had done it before but i was feeling all these butterflies and shit in my stomach beofre the other teams arrived and as we were setting up.

but i realised i had the shits from eating some chicken that wasnt cooked enough the night before. spent 20mins on the can and went 4-0 that night. 5-0 if you count FS v toilet. farking dominated.

I always have to take a leak when it comes time to train or do a tournament. Used to happen to me right before a rugby match, too. Nerves I guess, or anticipation.

l prefer taking a scotch or 2 ... :))

after the training of course

We had 2 guys brownbelt and bluebelt while l began to train 1 year ago and these guys went for Queen and Kingdom, 100%, all the way in randori. That made me nervous in the beginning but l realized that l would kick their asses sooner than later. l am always anxious to get to the next session nowadays, starving for more skills and techniques. My sensei must be annoyed due to all the x-tra techniques that he must explain about to the ignorant child that l am. My sensei l awesome!!! We even had a drink and a smoke.

Back