nerves before training

I'm not sure why I've never gotten nervous. I've only been doing bjj for about a month. But the atmosphere at our academy is excellent. Mostly white belts with a few blues and purples scattered in there.

Maybe it's because I've already rolled with a few brown belts and purple belts. After being twisted like a pretzel by those guys, there's not a lot to be nervous about rolling with anybody else!

never.....I've been training for 7 months....I actually feel quite powerful....mwahahahahahahaaa

I have training for about under a year (formally for four months) and I sometimes get this feeling. I have a fear of losing and it's mostly to people I have not grappled before. I'll have to shrug off that feeling soon.

Thankfully I have improved.

it's not about the ego and if you have to tap...well, take it as a learning experience.....when you should get that feeling is when you dont have the guts to come back stronger and IMPROVE....sometimes you will feel like crap after a class but by going up against tough training partners you will get better as long as they give you a little break here and there....eventually you work hard and start to get on their level or are able to hang with them....shit its not like a striking art wher if you lose badly you Literally* do get your ass handed to you

Dont listen to Stoic, of course you are going to be nervous as hell your first fight, anyone remember their first fist fight? If you say you were not nervous you are full of it. I still get a bit nervous in my grappling class becuase i dont know very mcuh and everyone in there is very experienced, and they dont like to hold back too much. But in boxing im becoming really relaxed because im getting alot better at it and my cardio is getting better. Just keep training, it felt like work to me at first and i didnt like to go, but it is starting to wear off and i really enjoy boxing. You will start to also, dont be discouraged just stick with it, might take you longer than others but stick with it and you will be glad you did.

Sometimes I'm nervous going in if I've been out of training for a while (like tonight, man was that fun) because its almost like you are expecting the impending doom of seeing how rusty you have become and how much slower you move and the sloppiness that lack of practice brings to your game. Its like fearing stepping on the scale after a weekend of binge drinking.

Stoic1 said:
Because you are focused on winning and losing, not on getting better.
It has nothing at all to do with winning or losing!!!! Its a form of "Social Anxiety Disorder!" I suffer from it myself.... Its more about the fear of the unknown and fear of failure! I had it all throughout my life and am still dealing with it whether it be a new Job,School,Sports its always there learking! Its not at all an ego thing and thats quite an ignorant stance for you to take!

It's a good feeling. It's what keeps your nerves on edge and you should use it and channel it into resolve.

Don't get caught up in nerves and make mistakes, just be aware of the fact that you are nervous because you want to win and you are about to engage in a physical chess-match with someone. LIke someone said before, have the attitude that your there to learn and you will give it your best.

I don't get this at all. I'm more happy to go and train than anything else. Sometimes I have gon training in a bad mood. It's not too bad either, I work much more aggressive.

VTJas81 said:
Same, glad im not the only one

same here, sometimes i get nervous and i dont even show up to training. i know its not good for me but its like the instructors dont like me there because i changed to their club recently.

i get this this sometimes, with me its more like excited anticipation of rolling and shit.

I am not so nerves before training maby a litle bit

Thanks for all the answers guys. I really got alot more than i expected, and all were helpful. It does go away ususally as soon as i start rolling. Alot of people Identified with it. Thanks for the help, all of you

Stoic1 said:
Because you are focused on winning and losing, not on getting better.

mistasanshou said:
It has nothing at all to do with winning or losing!!!! Its a form of "Social Anxiety Disorder!" I suffer from it myself.... Its more about the fear of the unknown and fear of failure! I had it all throughout my life and am still dealing with it whether it be a new Job,School,Sports its always there learking! Its not at all an ego thing and thats quite an ignorant stance for you to take!

Look at what you just wrote:

"It is more about the fear of the unknown AND THE FEAR OF FAILURE!"

Think about this. Fear of failure is the fear of losing. It is an ego thing. You are afraid. You can try to rationalize it with a syndrome, disorder, or a disease. Fear of failure, losing, and being humiliated is natural. And learning to deal with it can be difficult. But if you are paralyzed by it, or spend a lot of time being consumed by it than you have deeper issues.

You are suffering performance anxiety. Realise your training is more like a class with a pop quiz at the end and less a life or death situation that should warrant any fear or concern. You go to learn and then practice and apply what you have been taught. View your wins as triumphs and your losses as lessons. If you fear what you are doing then you either need to relax, make some more friends so you feel less intimidated going there and take a different view on your training or go see a sports psychologist.

Superbeast said:
You are suffering performance anxiety. Realise your training is more like a class with a pop quiz at the end and less a life or death situation that should warrant any fear or concern. You go to learn and then practice and apply what you have been taught. View your wins as triumphs and your losses as lessons. If you fear what you are doing then you either need to relax, make some more friends so you feel less intimidated going there and take a different view on your training or go see a sports psychologist.
take everything as a learning. that way you never fail. i love these psycho babble sayings sorry.

Some interesting stuff there guys, I guess were all human eh, from one side of the planet to my side, we all feel the same thing....ok.....come on....*GROUP HUG* LOL

I feel this more often than not also, anthony27 hit the nail on the head. I have learned to grow with it and kind of play games with it. It's all in the mind, thats why fighting is 1% physical and 99% emotional. I think it is also an ego thing, as admittedly, I'm quite competitive. Don't forget it's a tough sport, even in training, MMA or grappling, I guess it's normal to have some anxiety, even in training.

I get that before competition but never before training.

Back