Neil deGrasse Tyson: We Wrestle Because It's Hard

sure, i will get on that right after i listen to Kanye West's discography i just downloaded

but what ground breaking discoveries did he make? unfortunately a lot of time she speaks it is about philosophy which he does not have a handle on

i did read his death by blackhole book. no philosophy (thank god) just regurgitating physics stuff. i much prefer Michio Kaku though

After seeing your thread about Penn & Teller's episode about the bible, I think I can guess what your real issue with NDT is.

NDT is the man! I'm glad someone else was able to find his old journal articles. I was looking on Scholar and I couldn't filter out all his damn books! As others have mentioned, he is definitely "legit."

At this point, I think it's best just to ignore those who don't believe in science.

Didn't know this, awesome!

I was having beers with a colleague from Vanderbilt after he gave a guest seminar at my university and he somewhat sheepishly asked me about my ears--something that doesn't come up much in academic circles--and I mentioned BJJ and it turned out this full professor with a massive track record of high profile pubs and NIH funding used to do Muay Thai.

I can't decide if Neil deGrasse Tyson is cooler for having wrestled, or if wrestling is cooler for having Neil deGrasse Tyson'd.

Didn't know this, awesome!

I was having beers with a colleague from Vanderbilt after he gave a guest seminar at my university and he somewhat sheepishly asked me about my ears--something that doesn't come up much in academic circles--and I mentioned BJJ and it turned out this full professor with a massive track record of high profile pubs and NIH funding used to do Muay Thai.

Call me crazy, and this may be my personal bias talking but overall I

Listened to him lecture for 2 1/2 hours last night. Man crush rivals the one I have for Ryan Hall now.

Damn.

Faf4Hkd.jpg

Does anyone know if the NCAA has an online database of wrestling results that reach back far enough to contain Tyson's time in the sport(late 70s/early 80's)? I

Does anyone know if the NCAA has an online database of wrestling results that reach back far enough to contain Tyson's time in the sport(late 70s/early 80's)? I

After seeing your thread about Penn & Teller's episode about the bible, I think I can guess what your real issue with NDT is.

NDT shits me off so much.

First of all he treats "science" (which is literally just the term used to describe learning about the natural world) as a holy dogma that is here to save humanity.

He himself is an astro physicist. My exgf was one and you need to be seriously smart to even graduate in the course, let alone become a professor.

But most of the time NDT is not talking about astro physics but other forms of science, which is he no expert in or philosophy, psychology, anthropology or sociology. In many cases he is either off point or just dead wrong.

A good example was the Joe Rogan podcast where he couldn't answer Joe's questions about the moon landing, got pissy and dismissed it because he would have to "keep answering questions" and that the questions would never end. Now I for one know for a fact that humans did land on the moon, so I dont give a what his answer would have been, but NDS couldn't just say "ok I do not know the answer to that" because he has such a massive ego he did not admit it and thus made a weak excuse not to. In the real world, all these questions should be answered in order to dismiss conspiracy theories. Its sad Rogan was such a fanboy bitch he couldn't call him out on it. The guy literally got in a bad mood because he was asked a scientific question he couldn't answer. That shows you what type of person he is.

Back to the treating science as something more than what it is, he has a famous quote about having a problem with religion once its steps into his classroom. Really? What is he? A priest of science who has to protect it from evil Catholics? Did a priest storm into his classroom and try and erase his physics drawings? No, that did not happen and he is speaking from this bullshit adversarial position that doesn't even effect the vast majority of the population. Yes, there are religious nuts out there, just as there have been science nuts (1930s Germany anyone?) but that rhetoric that there is a "war" between science and religion is a complete farce. In Australia for example all the best schools are run by religious organizations, and guess what? Every student has to take science classes. His whole point of view in relation to it is immature and unnecessarily adversarial.

He also does little things that shit me off, like try to appear enlightened and educated by using Hellenic words like "hubris" in the completely wrong context which doesn't really make sense. If you were really confident in your intelligence you would speak in the most laconic and mundane way as possible to try and connect with as many people as you can.

And just the general demeanor in which he carries himself like he is a science crusader saving the world with his discoveries. Just make your money and leave your ego at the door.

I don't know what annoys me more. Him or that "I fucking love science" page on facebook (which seems to be confused because most of their posts have nothing to do with research into the natural world).

Science has been the enemy of Religion for hundreds of years

Scientists were killed for practicing Science

Back to the treating science as something more than what it is, he has a famous quote about having a problem with religion once its steps into his classroom. Really? What is he? A priest of science who has to protect it from evil Catholics? Did a priest storm into his classroom and try and erase his physics drawings? No, that did not happen and he is speaking from this bullshit adversarial position that doesn't even effect the vast majority of the population. Yes, there are religious nuts out there, just as there have been science nuts (1930s Germany anyone?) but that rhetoric that there is a "war" between science and religion is a complete farce. In Australia for example all the best schools are run by religious organizations, and guess what? Every student has to take science classes. His whole point of view in relation to it is immature and unnecessarily adversarial.

Science and religion are fundamentally at odds; one understands the world through evidence and experimentation, the other through faith. It's entirely understandable for proponents of science to want keep religion away from topics like physics, evolution, etc because the latter has nothing to offer but unverifiable understanding taken on faith.

It may be a different story if all religious organizations and individuals were content to teach science in an unfiltered manner, but that's not the case.

Science and religion are fundamentally at odds; one understands the world through evidence and experimentation, the other through faith. It's entirely understandable for proponents of science to want keep religion away from topics like physics, evolution, etc because the latter has nothing to offer but unverifiable understanding taken on faith.

It may be a different story if all religious organizations and individuals were content to teach science in an unfiltered manner, but that's not the case.

They're not fundamentally at odds. Some people try to make it that way, but there is nothing fundamentally at odds between them. They complement each other and deal with different things.

There's a lot of historical precedent for them going hand in hand. Most of the best educational institutions today were founded by religion. Just because there have been some episodes of friction does not mean that they are fundamentally at odds.

We would have lost a lot more of the early knowledge of antiquity in the Dark Ages if it weren't for religious institutions keeping it alive.

Back