Crime Neil Degrasse Tyson may have sexually assaulted 3 women

So 1. You want to ignore the fact that rape and sexual harassment were equated with telling jokes and flirting at an office party, when that is actually a serious problem with someone's thinking.
2. You don't know what he actually said to her, except that he invited her back to his office which is nothing more than awkward flirting. Which constitutes most flirting.
3. You think allowing people to flirt or tell sexual jokes at an office party is equivalent to "anything goes" as though that is equivalent to arguing that murdering someone at a party is okay.

Do you think you're discussing in good faith?

1. I'm not ignoring it. I don't care because my point never had anything to do with that. My whole point was asking someone to come back to your office during a holiday party is not the same as telling a sex joke.
2. Asking someone to come back to your office a lone is more than flirting. Your propositioning someone at that point. If you want to play naive and pretend we have no idea what he was really doing go ahead I'm not playing that game.
3. I think that a holiday party isn't a free pass to start trying to fuck people in your office.

1. I'm not ignoring it. I don't care because my point never had anything to do with that. My whole point was asking someone to come back to your office during a holiday party is not the same as telling a sex joke.
You said "that's a bit more," as though there was something unethical or illegal about it.

2. Asking someone to come back to your office a lone is more than flirting. Your propositioning someone at that point. If you want to play naive and pretend we have no idea what he was really doing go ahead I'm not playing that game.
No, that's within the range of normal flirting outside an office environment. "Hey, why don't we go back to my place" is the most cliched comment ever at any bar or club.

You do have some experience with this, right?

3. I think that a holiday party isn't a free pass to start trying to fuck people in your office.
So now we're ignoring that you tried to equivocate saying that awkward flirting at a holiday party is okay to saying that "anything goes?"

True.

So the question would be, "Why now? After 35 years? And after he's already been famous for years? And a year after #MeToo became trendy?"

...and the answer would be, "It took a lot of courage for her to finally step forward, she has a family and always just wanted to put this ugly incident behind her no matter how much it scarred her, but the weight of wondering who might be his next victim finally compelled her to do the right thing and tell her story, knowing the risk to her reputation and privacy, in order to protect others from this monster."

Or something along those lines. We know the script by now.

...and the answer would be, "It took a lot of courage for her to finally step forward, she has a family and always just wanted to put this ugly incident behind her no matter how much it scarred her, but the weight of wondering who might be his next victim finally compelled her to do the right thing and tell her story, knowing the risk to her reputation and privacy, in order to protect others from this monster."

Or something along those lines. We know the script by now.

She confronted him about it like 8 or 10 years ago. Which has been confirmed. Get your facts straight before commenting.

10 years ago:

What happened next, all parties agree on — Amet, her friends, Richard and Anna, even a lone entry on Tumblr. Amet stepped to the microphone and, after announcing it was Sexual Assault Awareness Month, accused Tyson of rape. She concluded by flipping the shawl she was wearing behind her back and running out of the theater. Her friend Sarah followed her, comforting her as she collapsed on the grass outside the venue.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/neil-degrasse-tyson-rape-accuser_us_5c057f3ae4b0cd916faed7f8

It may be a false accusation but it's one she has been sticking to for decades.

Last edited:
She confronted him about it like 8 or 10 years ago. Which has been confirmed. Get your facts straight before commenting...

So you believe you have the facts? Why then a twenty-year delay in accusation?

Is the GoFundMe up yet?

Last edited:
For #3 I have been to many holidays parties from restaurants to corporate and even marketing/local business groups. The goal at all of these functions was to party and flirt and try to get some. Both men and woman becomes animals at these parties. That is the point of a holiday party. To let your hair down and go wild.

Every time white people end up adopting a black person, it never ends very well.....

18nc4ov6gy0eqjpg.jpg

f6d366d0-c189-11e8-befd-bf8e51826b59

51WUTjMQ7vL._SX425_.jpg

unglhyk7mnphdyzwqkog.jpg

it's terrible that the presumption of innocence is thrown under a bus when it comes to getting #Metoo'd

it's terrible that the presumption of innocence is thrown under a bus when it comes to getting #Metoo'd

This isnt anything new. When it comes to charges like this it's always been on the accused to prove their innocence, which has almost always turned into a "Why would they lie though!" arguement. The #metoobutdontyoudaredoubtmeyoupig movement has only made it worse.

It's pretty weird also how under the hashtag MeToo, things get thrown together: inappropriate or weird behaviour, sexual harassment, and rape somehow become one. Blurring the lines like that also cannot be good.
That's a fair point but to play devil's advocate I think there is a reason for that. Its true that there are degrees that must be considered that at times are blurred by #metoo advocates but at the same time if the point is to change professional culture so as to be less comfortable with abuses of power by men at the expense of women it does make some sense to also call out less egregious, perfectly legal behavior that nonetheless falls within that toxic culture of abuse.

Consider another issue, racism. We don't only care about the most egregious cases like lynchings, we also care about instances of racism that are perfectly legal and relatively minor because we are against racism full stop.

That's a fair point but to play devil's advocate I think there is a reason for that. Its true that there are degrees that must be considered that at times are blurred by #metoo advocates but at the same time if the point is to change professional culture so as to be less comfortable with abuses of power by men at the expense of women it does make some sense to also call out less egregious, perfectly legal behavior that nonetheless falls within that toxic culture of abuse.

Consider another issue, racism. We don't only care about the most egregious cases like lynchings, we also care about instances of racism that are perfectly legal and relatively minor because we are against racism full stop.

Good point. At the same time, that took decades.

When people call out celebs for ''questionable" behaviour and it turns out to be a load of crap, it strengthens rape culture by hurting the overall cause.

Good point. At the same time, that took decades.

When people call out celebs for ''questionable" behaviour and it turns out to be a load of crap, it strengthens rape culture by hurting the overall cause.
Sure, perhaps for it would make more sense for them to focus on the more egregious cases. But I do think there's something to be learned from the less egregious cases. Take the Aziz Ansari one. Was it rape? No. Was it even sexual assault? No, she consented.

But he nonetheless made the woman feel uncomfortable because he was primarily concerned with getting his dick wet, not how she felt about the matter. I don't think most men would commit rape but are there many men out there who might do what he did and put women in a situation where they don't feel comfortable and walk away feeling shitty about the interaction? I believe so.

Sure, perhaps for it would make more sense for them to focus on the more egregious cases. But I do think there's something to be learned from the less egregious cases. Take the Aziz Ansari one. Was it rape? No. Was it even sexual assault? No, she consented.

But he nonetheless made the woman feel uncomfortable because he was primarily concerned with getting his dick wet, not how she felt about the matter. I don't think most men would commit rape but are there many men out there who might do what he did and put women in a situation where they don't feel comfortable and walk away feeling shitty about the interaction? I believe so.

The thing is that I don't believe a majority of people agree with burning someone and destroying their career over being an asshole in a specific situation. Throwing everything under the same hashtag in effect equates rape and job-for-sex situations with 'he fondled me while we made out and I wasn't ready for that'. But the latter just is not viewed as a real problem by a majority of people, and in effect, the whole cause is tainted.

The thing is that I don't believe a majority of people agree with burning someone and destroying their career over being an asshole in a specific situation. Throwing everything under the same hashtag in effect equates rape and job-for-sex situations with 'he fondled me while we made out and I wasn't ready for that'. But the latter just is not viewed as a real problem by a majority of people, and in effect, the whole cause is tainted.
Yeah I agree, there's degrees and what Aziz did is not something that is worthy of being thrown into the leper colony along with Cosby and Weinstein. Just saying on some level I get why these more minor grievances are being aired.

Back