Neighbor's tree has branches hanging over my fence

Can I saw them off?

What if it kills the tree?
are you afraid of having a conversation with your neighbour?? why are you here asking about it when you should be over there talking about it....if the branches need to be dealt with...explain your stance and deal with them.....if ((and Im leaning this way atm)) the branches arent really affecting you in any way and you just have your knickers in a knot because the fact its your "neighbour's tree" then youre an asshole

You go up to it and say "U fookin wot m8?!" And fill the tree with uppercuts

Cutting the tree branches without warning is passive-aggressive.

If passive-aggressive is your thing, wait until autumn when the leaves from the branches pouting into your property fall on your property, then rake said leaves and send him an invoice worth 100$/hr worth of raking labor.

Tell your neighbor your homeowners insurance company told you you had to trim them. Mine actually did.

Smart. Makes it seem it's out of your control, you get what you want while keeping the peace.

Yes. You legally can trim them back. If it hangs on your property it’s technically “yours”

More background:

We moved into the neighborhood last year. The family that lived here before had been here for a long time. The trees and shrubs that were planted when they moved in have now become overgrown and have caused a mess in our neighbors' yards.

There was a blue spruce was was beautiful. However, it was planted about 30 years ago for the former occupants' first Christmas. It was lovely and tall, but the roots were so big that they were lifting up our driveway and causing water to pool around the foundation. So, we had it removed.

Our neighbors then mentioned that a big fir tree (tallest in our yard) has made a mess in their's. Our tree has dumped a considerable amount of needles in their yard. Now, they same thing happened in ours. Plus, it creates so much shade that it would be impossible for us to grow a veggie garden. So, we removed it. We're happy and the neighbor is happy.

Now, the tree that I am inquiring about:

On the back side of our yard is an elderly lady. I never see her. She lives alone, but has an older middle aged guy visit every now and then to help out. She has an old apple tree growing on the corner of her lot. However, the tree is not maintained at all. The apples are small and drop all over our side of the fence. Now, I don't mind having smushy apples on our ground, but the yellow jackets love them. We have been taken over by yellow jackets and since we haven't had a hard frost yet, it seems like they are no longer just a seasonal pest. The kids, dog, and myself have been stung.

I don't want to bother the elderly lady that lives within the adjacent lot. But, I'm tired of the yellow jackets. I'm pondering trimming back the apple tree branches so that they don't fall into our yard. Or, I could just string a couple of wasp traps within 10 feet from her apple tree (but will that encourage more to just come). I guess I could also just make our fence taller.

This happened to me. I cut the branch and didn't tell the neighbor anything. The neighbor never asked me about and didn't seemed bothered.

My other neighbor had a giant tree that was leaning towards my house. It was dead for a while and I had to have a talk with him about getting it cut down. He waited over a year to do anything.

Hit the drive-thru Saturday morning, grab a couple of biscuits and coffees and knock on your neighbor's door. Tell him you changed insurance companies and the home inspector mentioned you can't have branches overhanging your fence. Ask him if he would please trim them and keep them that way. Tell him you'll have him over for a cold beer when he's done and actually do it. Good neighbors make life easier. Don't be a douche bag and fuck up your relationship with yours.

Bah. Burn the house down around him and eat his corpse.

Comfort his women.

try actually talking to your neighbor like an adult.

<DisgustingHHH>

Yup. The neighbor would have a bee onna his hat.

Stupida fuckina game....

Last edited:
More background:

We moved into the neighborhood last year. The family that lived here before had been here for a long time. The trees and shrubs that were planted when they moved in have now become overgrown and have caused a mess in our neighbors' yards.

There was a blue spruce was was beautiful. However, it was planted about 30 years ago for the former occupants' first Christmas. It was lovely and tall, but the roots were so big that they were lifting up our driveway and causing water to pool around the foundation. So, we had it removed.

Our neighbors then mentioned that a big fir tree (tallest in our yard) has made a mess in their's. Our tree has dumped a considerable amount of needles in their yard. Now, they same thing happened in ours. Plus, it creates so much shade that it would be impossible for us to grow a veggie garden. So, we removed it. We're happy and the neighbor is happy.

Now, the tree that I am inquiring about:

On the back side of our yard is an elderly lady. I never see her. She lives alone, but has an older middle aged guy visit every now and then to help out. She has an old apple tree growing on the corner of her lot. However, the tree is not maintained at all. The apples are small and drop all over our side of the fence. Now, I don't mind having smushy apples on our ground, but the yellow jackets love them. We have been taken over by yellow jackets and since we haven't had a hard frost yet, it seems like they are no longer just a seasonal pest. The kids, dog, and myself have been stung.

I don't want to bother the elderly lady that lives within the adjacent lot. But, I'm tired of the yellow jackets. I'm pondering trimming back the apple tree branches so that they don't fall into our yard. Or, I could just string a couple of wasp traps within 10 feet from her apple tree (but will that encourage more to just come). I guess I could also just make our fence taller.

I'm not sure if it varies by state, but in my state you have the right to cut any limbs that hang over into your yard without notice provided that it won't kill the tree and hinder their enjoyment of the tree. I'm in the title industry and have actually seen this litigated a few times.

Honestly, your neighbor may be thankful that you do it. I have an elderly neighbor as well that has trees along the property line. I really tried to leave them alone, but I'd have to trim them in the winter when the snow weighs them down and they hang low enough to hit my truck and the wife's van. One day when I was cutting them, the elderly neighbor came out and thanked me. She actually asked me to do a favor and cut some more of them. She told me I can cut whatever I needed or even if I thought they looked bad. She was relieved and thankful.

You know what to do...

acggOlM.gif
Those are still better than my rhythm kicks.

Yes, this is the time to prune trees. Ideally, you cut them back at the trunk though.

Back