Negative fight IQ

I think Holland's broken hand played in to the grappling aspect. He would have had a very difficult time holding Thompson down.

Holland's priorities in MMA have always seemed off. Like he's trying to prove something or put on a show instead of just fighting to win.

He needs to find the balance between being a showman and actually being a serious fighter.
It’s too late now sadly, you don’t just come back from damage like that.

Once your 30 your better off going for a win, that’s 2 losses in a row now and his next fight is gonna be a must win.

His true fans don’t wanna see him get hurt and never be the same again.

Even at his best, Holland wouldn't be good enough to win the belt at WW or MW in the UFC. So he has smartly focused on earning as much money as possible. He must have got paid an absurd amount of cash to save the PPV card at the eleventh hour when Khamzat badly missed weight. This fight with Wonderboy was an instant classic that captivated the most engaged and awed crowd possibly in UFC history. It will further raise Holland's profile and allow him to continue to be highly paid as a prizefighter in the UFC.

I get it, but he could have come out with all of that and potentially a win. I seriously hope he's making bank, because he took one hell of a beating tonight.

A) potentially beating the #6 ranked fighter in the world.

B) keeping your stupid promise to not use the advantages you have to try to win within the rules of competition

Choose wisely.
We should add getting his 6 figure win bonus to A

The difference is, teams playing that style of football will only go so far, whereas MMA fighters who hug and hump can win and keep titles.
Not really, there are teams that have mediocre offense and could win superbowls with their defense. Broncos did it a few years ago. Regardless, fans can complain about boring games just like fans can complain about boring grapplers. And right now, all the UFC champs outside of islam and aljo are strikers.

Francis/Gane
Jiri
Alex
Leon
Volk
Figueredo

fans like watching these guys strike, whats wrong with disliking certains styles like tons of hugging and cage holding crotch sniffing (usman)

While I do think it was a bad idea to only strike with Wonderboy because of his ego, I also think that Holland doesn't have a ground game capable of doing anything significant to Wonderboy on the ground. The only reason he even got any kind of takedown in the first place was because they had previously agreed earlier in the fight to not grapple.
Don't think Holland can get or hold Wonderboy down long enough to do anything substantial.

But hey, I guess you could argue that the threat of the takedown alone could change the outcome.
Holland doesn't need to dominate Wonderboy on the ground to benefit from utilizing the full range of MMA tools.

A) getting up from bottom takes energy, Holland is big and long and while maybe not a D1 wrestler, he is a BJJ blackbelt with submission skills. He could have at least tried to achieve ANYTHING from the times he already had Wonderboy on his back.

B) the updated rules literally state that a takedown is basically meaningless without leading to any further attack, so he CHOSE to have a position he had already achieved NOT be scored positively for himself in the judging. The earlier rounds were close enough that this could have swung a round and he could have been up 2-0.

C) you generally aren't getting kicked in the face while you are in top position and you are highly unlikely likely to break your hand defending spinning wheel kicks.

D) Holland wasn't winning the stand up, so again back to the bad decision factor of choosing not to work within your advantages.

Even if he couldn't control WB for minutes on end there is a big difference between

"I'm gonna strike with you"

and

"I'm gonna strike with you and guarantee you zero threat of a takedown, zero possibility of a submission, and zero possibility of winning rounds or even swinging an otherwise close round in my favor."

As I said above, fun fight.
Next level stupid fight IQ.

He had a broken hand likely in the second round. And a destroyed hand by the fourth. How can he wrestle if he can barely throw that hand anymore?
Do you think throwing a right-hand with the intention of it landing against someone’s skull is a better option that just trying to wrap your right arm around someone’s torso or leg and using other parts of your body to get a takedown i.e. leg sweep, single leg tree-top etc.

My god.

We should add getting his 6 figure win bonus to A
And whatever job security and future earnings would come along with being ranked
(and likely staying ranked for at least a year even with subsequent loss or 2)

Its not, some people like watching striking and kos in mma more than wrestling. Fans have a right to call out boring tactics. Just like some football fans hate defensive oriented teams who play for field position and field goals instead of risky passes for touchdowns.
That would be like being a fan of triathlons and saying “damnit I hate when they smim! I just want to watch them ride bikes!” At that point, don’t bitch about the sport, just watch cycling.

That would be like being a fan of triathlons and saying “damnit I hate when they smim! I just want to watch them ride bikes!” At that point, don’t bitch about the sport, just watch cycling.
So u’ve never seen a boring mma fight? What made it boring?

So u’ve never seen a boring mma fight? What made it boring?
There’s been a ton of boring fights.
Grappling can be very boring if someone is just trying to lay and pray their way to a win. (Anything involving Carla Esparza)
Striking can also be very boring when two guys refuse to engage (Adesanya/Romero) (Ngannou/Lewis)

U cant even give props to wonderboy? Kevin is a striker and had WB hurt the first round, he wanted to strike.
Well wonderboy and his ego. It’s hard to imagine Kevin would have taken as much damage as he did if he didn’t let him up. I mean he literally had wonderboy down 2 times. And we have seen wonderboys bottom game.

Imagine if Kevin held position for 2 whole rounds. Or imagine even if he held position for 2 whole minutes. That’s literally game changing time not being smacked up on the feet by wonderboy. It also doesn’t allow wonderboy to just let his full arsenal go because he would be worried about it going to the ground. Kevin literally said don’t worry about it I’ll always let you up, just beat the shit outta me

I'm a black belt and I just took Wonderboy down.

Ima let him up and kickboxing with him.

Derp.
It's called a Gentlemen's agreement look into to it ya fucking noob..

It's called a Gentlemen's agreement look into to it ya fucking noob..
Ah

Suddenly the broken hand, concussion, loss, no win bonus, losing streak and not being ranked all make sense!

Want a good idea this gentleman's agreement turned out to be.

More fights should be like this
Lots of striking, very little grappling

It's what the crowd pay to see
No one pays to see humping panic wrasslers making fight cards boring

Go watch BKFC, or kickboxing, or boxing.
Everything is mixed...hence MMA, Mixed.Martial.Arts.

To hate grappling and watch MMA is like ordering a cheeseburger and complaining about having cheese on it ffs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back