Negative Effects of Caffeine?

ss4vegeta1

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Tell me how has it affected you? Any of you abused caffeine in the past? I admit I have and now one cup of coffee can kill me. I am not sure wtf happened. I recently went to a cardiologist and he said everything looks ok. Then why has my tolerance gone down dramatically? Btw I am not a caffeine freak just want to figure out why my body changed so dramatically in a few short years.

I have to cycle on and off stimulants due to building a tolerance. The first 7-10 days off of them is met with unwavering depression and irritability (thankfully no headaches though). Over 2-3 months on, I build up a pretty high tolerance to my ECY stack, then 2-3 months off seems to bring that back down to normal. I maintain my coffee consumption (2-3 shots or 12-16 ounces a day) throughout though. Doesn't seem to bother me none.

I've never experienced what you're describing though.

Tell me how has it affected you? Any of you abused caffeine in the past? I admit I have and now one cup of coffee can kill me. I am not sure wtf happened. I recently went to a cardiologist and he said everything looks ok. Then why has my tolerance gone down dramatically? Btw I am not a caffeine freak just want to figure out why my body changed so dramatically in a few short years.

A guy I know was diagnosed with a type of arrythmia which his doctors believe was due (at least in part) to high caffeine consumption. I don't know the exact details, but I think it's pretty rare and usually it only happens to people who already have some sort of pre-existing condition or risk factors.

I overdosed on caffeine many years ago. I was a regular coffee drinker, and I'd drank about 2 pots of coffee in a day. I thought I was having a stroke, and had a friend take me to ER. Diagnosis: too much coffee.

I've been caffeine sensitive since then, and have to watch how much I take, as a few cups of strong coffee will send me into orbit with a racing heart rate and a hypochondria induced fear of a heart attack.

My heart looks fine according to every cardiologist who looks at it. I just can't handle caffeine in any serious doses anymore. I'll still have a cup of half-caffeinated coffee on most mornings, but that's about it.

Last edited:
I overdosed on caffeine many years ago. I was a regular coffee drinker, and I'd drank about 2 pots of coffee in a day. I thought I was having a stroke, and had a friend take me to ER. Diagnosis: too much coffee.

I've been caffeine sensitive since then, and have to watch how much I take, as a few cups of strong coffee will send me into orbit with a racing heart rate and a hypochondria induced fear of a heart attack.

My heart looks fine according to every cardiologist who looks at it. I just can't handle caffeine in any serious doses anymore. I'll still have a cup of half-caffeinated coffee on most mornings, but that's about it.

Sounds similar to me but instead of 2 pots of coffee I took caffeine supplements. I also get a negative effect from coconut oil. It really sucks having palpitations from one cup of coffee. I used to love coffee esp french vanilla. I mean I feel I damaged something.

i effin love coffee, i generally have 3 to 4 cups a day usually after meals or before bjj. The only negative iv encountered was lack of sleep if i have some too late.

also trying to avoid staining my teeth but thats another story.

does anyone know if caffeine has any effect on blood sugar levels? I drink mine black, but after an hour or so (whenever it wears off), I feel like my blood sugar has a drastic drop. Not sure if there is any validity to this though.

I overdosed on caffeine myself 2 years ago.

I went to Starbucks and had a 'contest' with my friend to see who could drink the most caffeine the quickest. We walked into starbucks and asked the ladies at the counter if it would be possible to fill the biggest cup they have with as many espresso shots as it could hold. They looked at us funny and said they'll see what they can do.

They did it. They told us we didn't have to pay for it because we were crazy. I never really thought about caffeine being a real danger because it's in our every day drinks and it's never affected me.

1 hour after we chugged it, my heart started clenching, I started getting this wave/pulsation of the feeling of fainting, I started throwing up caffeine-scented barf, I started pissing every 15 minutes with caffeine-scented piss, my heart was racing uncontrollably fast, I was blacking out. I went to the emergency and I told them what I did and they asked me if I was crazy and they gave me these nerve calming pills I forget what they're called but you leave them under your tongue.

It didn't help but it was better than nothing.

I vowed to never drink ANY caffeine again...I've been drinking a Xenergy practically every morning KNOWING that the slightest amount of caffeine will send me into panic attacks or a fear that I'm going to die and get uncontrollable anxiety/panic attacks. I guess hypochondria is the best way to describe it as someone said up there and I'm glad I'm not alone in this.

Now even half a cup of tea/coffee will give me panic/anxiety attacks and palpitations.

Shit sucks.

Not sure about blood sugar levels, however coffee does promote gastrin release on a positive feedback loop. Gastrin is an enzyme that stimulates gastric acid secretion, also increases motility in the GI tract (i.e. coffee=poop). When you have gastric acid release and no food to follow, you may get lethargic or feeling like shit/stomach ache.

Those symtoms sound familiar?

Not sure about blood sugar levels, however coffee does promote gastrin release on a positive feedback loop. Gastrin is an enzyme that stimulates gastric acid secretion, also increases motility in the GI tract (i.e. coffee=poop). When you have gastric acid release and no food to follow, you may get lethargic or feeling like shit/stomach ache.

Those symtoms sound familiar?

I haven't had coffee for a while now but when I did drink it I was Extremely lethargic and dehydrated. Also constipation was worse. I think it had a negative effect on my colon.

does anyone know if caffeine has any effect on blood sugar levels? I drink mine black, but after an hour or so (whenever it wears off), I feel like my blood sugar has a drastic drop. Not sure if there is any validity to this though.

Caffeine wearing off would probably cause a lethargy very similar to that of low blood sugar. It's not causing low blood sugar, it's just a consequence of the stimulant wearing off...

Caffeine wearing off would probably cause a lethargy very similar to that of low blood sugar. It's not causing low blood sugar, it's just a consequence of the stimulant wearing off...

that makes sense, I do tend to feel quite lethargic about 1.5 to 2 hrs after drinking coffee and my symptoms are the same as low blood sugar (shaky/irritable as well). It's only 1 (very strong) cup, but the symptoms have been rather pronounced as of late, I'll try cutting it out and see what happens..

I haven't had coffee for a while now but when I did drink it I was Extremely lethargic and dehydrated. Also constipation was worse. I think it had a negative effect on my colon.

Sounds about right, caffeine is a diuretic causing the dehydration. You're probably just more sensitive to coffee than others. Drink in moderation?

Used to be 2 pot per day drinker of coffee, after I quit drinking/drugs. I figured it was the lesser of two evils for me. Anyway started getting stomach issues and even after 2 pots still wanted more. I've weaned myself down to 2 cups in the AM maybe more on weekends and I've found I enjoy it much more now. I've also read it works your liver hard to breakdown the caffeine and if you don't drink premium coffee there is alot of shit used during processing that isn't great for you.

the only negative it has on me is making my wallet lighter, those damn double flake mochas keep calling me..... i can hear it now. The most i have consumed is 5 shots in about an hour and i have never experienced anything negative nor positive for that matter, i drink it for the taste not the rush.

I have always had negative symptoms from caffeine consumption. It makes me feel overly anxious and only gives me energy for a short period of time. I try and just drink it before a workout and sometimes I feel like I am actually burning the caffeine off and have less negative symptoms than when I have caffeine on a less active day.

How about getting up to pee, muscle spasms, and myalgias?? But it does help you concentrate damn!

Sounds about right, caffeine is a diuretic causing the dehydration. You're probably just more sensitive to coffee than others. Drink in moderation?

When i did drink it I was at 1 cup a day.

I think the key to remember also is that it's good to cycle caffeine. It's rich for me to say this as I'm one of these guys who just sits at his desk some days and drinks one after another - no wonder I'm stressed! :redface:

Back