need to shed some weight...any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewC

Blue Belt
Reaction score
sup guys...first time posting about this anywhere...

i'm 41 now..don't look it, just my belly does :)

i'm 5'10 ...and i now weigh 190...most of it from beer and korean bbq, so it all sits in my belly.

aside from cutting out the guinessess and so much beef...what are some essential ways of shedding 15lbs? ideally i'd like to be 175lbs at my height.

i work in front of a computer all day, basically have no energy in the evenings. was hoping someone could shed some light on how i can be effective in a short time span.

gonna hit the gym starting tomorrow (sunday) and was wondering if i should lift light weights or just work on my cardio...plus i haven't been surfing much lately but i'll be getting back in the water next week on my surf trip.

so...work out advise and what i should be eating ideas would be great.

thanks guys
drew

Well, you just answered your question above. Give the beer a chill for a while. Eat more frequent and smaller meals a day, i.e 3 moderate size meals breakfast, lunch, dinner, with 2 small snacks in between. Egg beaters, whole grains, oatmeal for breakfast, lean meats, i.e chicken breast, turkey, whole wheat pasta and whole grain brown rice. I'd cut the carbs for dinner and have a lean piece of meat i.e chicken breast and veggies for dinner.

As far as working out, never cut the weights. Resistance training has lots of health benefits. THe more muscle your body has, the more metabolically active your body will be (your body burns calories sustaining and rebuilding muscle). Try to hit weights and cardio at least 3 times a week since you have a hectic work schedule. I would do cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach since your body will use fat stores quicker since your glycogen stores will be low or depleted after sleeping and hit weights after work. Hope this helps.

Well, you just answered your question above. Give the beer a chill for a while. Eat more frequent and smaller meals a day, i.e 3 moderate size meals breakfast, lunch, dinner, with 2 small snacks in between. Egg beaters, whole grains, oatmeal for breakfast, lean meats, i.e chicken breast, turkey, whole wheat pasta and whole grain brown rice. I'd cut the carbs for dinner and have a lean piece of meat i.e chicken breast and veggies for dinner.

As far as working out, never cut the weights. Resistance training has lots of health benefits. THe more muscle your body has, the more metabolically active your body will be (your body burns calories sustaining and rebuilding muscle). Try to hit weights and cardio at least 3 times a week since you have a hectic work schedule. I would do cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach since your body will use fat stores quicker since your glycogen stores will be low or depleted after sleeping and hit weights after work. Hope this helps.

i wrote this down on a piece of paper..thanks...that's some great info.

will start right now :)

actually i skipped breakfast...now i'm starving but will eat something light...

here's to getting back in shape!

and to thaiboxinjunkie...no i hate running, although i know it's good...gonna try it at the gym tomorrow...get a mile or 2 in

Just find an activity you enjoy doing, and keep doing it.
I hate lifting more than pretty much anything, so I mainly swim, row and ride my bike and go hiking quite a bit.
I do lift a little, but no more than I absolutely have to.

Find out what your daily caloric maintenance levels are, and then cut back by about 500 calories a day. For example, your maintenance level could be 2500cals, so you would then no longer consume more than 500 calories a day. Do that for a week, and you'll lose roughly a pound of bodyweight. Do that for 20 weeks and that's 20lbs. Furthermore, if you do weight training, eat plenty of protein, and get plenty of rest, you should be able to either maintain or gain muscle mass over time, or certainly strength, and allow your body to "recomp" a little in the process.

I recommend traditional weight training such as Overhead Press, Bent Over Rows or Power Cleans, Bench Press, Squats, Deadlifts. And for dietary changes, drink plenty of water, no-cal drinks like generic Crystal Lite or tea. Take a multivitamin daily.

Find out what your daily caloric maintenance levels are, and then cut back by about 500 calories a day. For example, your maintenance level could be 2500cals, so you would then no longer consume more than 500 calories a day. Do that for a week, and you'll lose roughly a pound of bodyweight. Do that for 20 weeks and that's 20lbs. Furthermore, if you do weight training, eat plenty of protein, and get plenty of rest, you should be able to either maintain or gain muscle mass over time, or certainly strength, and allow your body to "recomp" a little in the process.

I recommend traditional weight training such as Overhead Press, Bent Over Rows or Power Cleans, Bench Press, Squats, Deadlifts. And for dietary changes, drink plenty of water, no-cal drinks like generic Crystal Lite or tea. Take a multivitamin daily.

@chain...yea trying to get back out surfing and golfing (walking not riding a cart)

nick..good advise...again, wrote that down and will get on that...

thanks guys...all great tips...stuff i knew as far as activities but other stuff i had no idea...i'm determined so this definitely helps out guys...thanks

guys on a sidenote...my girl is having me drink this once a day..if not twice a day..morning and at night..it's dark garlic in liquid form. it's nasty...although i'd hate to admit i've acquired a taste for it...at first i use to chase it down with something sweet but now i dont have to...i can take it...but apparently it's really good for my health?

do you guys have garlic in your diet? what's this good for? i asked my gf and all she told me was, it'll give me a longer life lol...

guys on a sidenote...my girl is having me drink this once a day..if not twice a day..morning and at night..it's dark garlic in liquid form. it's nasty...although i'd hate to admit i've acquired a taste for it...at first i use to chase it down with something sweet but now i dont have to...i can take it...but apparently it's really good for my health?

do you guys have garlic in your diet? what's this good for? i asked my gf and all she told me was, it'll give me a longer life lol...

Umm....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back