need to lose weight for fight

stabmasterarson

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have my first amateur kickboxing match coming up on Feb 3. I found out I was fighting for sure in it today. I need to weigh in on the 2nd at 160. I weigh 176 right now. I'm 5'7".

I am trying to do the large breakfast, medium lunch, smaller dinner thing, with a lot of protein and veggies, less rice/pasta/bread. 2-3 scoop protein shakes a day. Also, should I start running or swimming or something?

I was planning on swimming or running in the AM before breakfast, I hear this burns more fat. I train kickboxing at nights, about 3-4x a week. I am going to work the bag and do Bas workouts for bodyweight strength training. Should I worry about putting on weight doing things like pushups, etc in this short of a time frame?

Should I just be prepared to be hungry all the time?

I have never tried to lose weight in a set period of time before, so I am a little concerned. I was told I could lose about 8lbs fat, and cut the rest no problem, but I don't want to fuck up.

Any and all advice is sorely appreciated!

Also, I do jiu-jitsu, but I figure I'm going to lay off that and focus on the striking for this match. I can only train with my trainer 3x a week, and it is more skill development than calisthenics, etc. so it isn't a really "hard" workout per se.

Is this a good idea, or should I still roll for a workout when I can't get standup instruction?

Are weigh ins the day before or day of the fight? If they are the day of the fight you are trying to loose 16 lbs in 3 weeks, and at your weight that is borderline crazy. If the weigh in is the night before you can dehydrate yourself pretty easily to make weight.

In any case, you probably should do at least 45 minutes of cardio per day(running/swimming etc.) on top or your other work out(no you will not put on muscle when you starve yourself). Cut out dairy completely and stay low on the starchy stuff like pasta and bread(oatmeal is fine though and good for endurance). Hope this helps a bit.

If you really are serious about cutting weight, cut out all the carbs in your diet. Or at least enough so that you won't pass out every time you train hard.

BEEF said:
Are weigh ins the day before or day of the fight? If they are the day of the fight you are trying to loose 16 lbs in 3 weeks, and at your weight that is borderline crazy. If the weigh in is the night before you can dehydrate yourself pretty easily to make weight.

In any case, you probably should do at least 45 minutes of cardio per day(running/swimming etc.) on top or your other work out(no you will not put on muscle when you starve yourself). Cut out dairy completely and stay low on the starchy stuff like pasta and bread(oatmeal is fine though and good for endurance). Hope this helps a bit.

Yeah, I was told that if I lose half the weight in actual fat loss, I could just cut the last 8lbs. The weigh in is on the day before the fight. Isn't 45 minutes of cardio too long? I heard that that was too much in another post around these parts. Is that slow cardio? I want to wind myself so I was going to run 3 miles at 7-7.5mph, takes me 24 minutes or so, and winds me good as I put the incline at 3.0. Also, was looking to swim laps for 30 minutes on alternate days. Swimming kicks my ass totally, it's so hard compared to running, I don't know if I could swim for 45 mins straight..

deadlyshaolin said:
If you really are serious about cutting weight, cut out all the carbs in your diet. Or at least enough so that you won't pass out every time you train hard.
WHAT?!?! You cannot seriously mean it! This low-carb crap could work if you want to get in your bikini figure qiuckly, but if it's about sports and competition, then you need your carbohydrats more than anything.

stabmasterarson said:
Yeah, I was told that if I lose half the weight in actual fat loss, I could just cut the last 8lbs. The weigh in is on the day before the fight. Isn't 45 minutes of cardio too long? I heard that that was too much in another post around these parts. Is that slow cardio? I want to wind myself so I was going to run 3 miles at 7-7.5mph, takes me 24 minutes or so, and winds me good as I put the incline at 3.0. Also, was looking to swim laps for 30 minutes on alternate days. Swimming kicks my ass totally, it's so hard compared to running, I don't know if I could swim for 45 mins straight..

Longer cardio can drain you, but will also up your stamina. I said 45 minutes mainly so you can loose the weight fast enough because you "only" weigh 176lbs, and you only do your kickboxing 3 days per week. You could do the first 20 minutes slow and the final 20 minutes fast if you are concerned also, or just take a chance only do the 20-some minutes a day as you thought. The point is this: the more cardio you do, the faster you will drop weight, and you only have 3 weeks to loose it.

In terms of loosing 8lbs and cutting 8lbs the day before, I think you should be definitely OK as long as you know how yo sweat out 8lbs. Good luck!

so the way to sweat out 8lbs is to not drink anything, wear garbage bags and run around, don't eat anything, and sit in a sauna all day...then the next morning, shit, puke, spit, piss, whatever to get rid of weight, don't eat or drink until weigh in, right? I weighed myself this AM and was 173..then I went for the 3 mile run with no food except half a banana in me, and it was tough, a lot tougher than if I did it in the PM when I usually run.

I might shave my head too to lose weight, I'm a hairy bastard, and I took the clippers to my body hair and I lost 1.4lbs!

stabmasterarson said:
so the way to sweat out 8lbs is to not drink anything, wear garbage bags and run around, don't eat anything, and sit in a sauna all day...then the next morning, shit, puke, spit, piss, whatever to get rid of weight, don't eat or drink until weigh in, right? I weighed myself this AM and was 173..then I went for the 3 mile run with no food except half a banana in me, and it was tough, a lot tougher than if I did it in the PM when I usually run.

I might shave my head too to lose weight, I'm a hairy bastard, and I took the clippers to my body hair and I lost 1.4lbs!

If you are going to lose that much weight make sure you do it in the time allocated relativly evenly, some fighters in Thailand did crazy things like lose 8/9kg the day before the fight, this can lead to internal organ problems later on in life, and if you have access to an exercise bike, work that for long periods.

by the way good luck in your fight. :D

stabmasterarson said:

lol thats one s#!^load of hair man!

If you are going to lose that much weight make sure you do it in the time allocated relativly evenly, some fighters in Thailand did crazy things like lose 8/9kg (nearly 20lb) the day before the fight, this can lead to internal organ problems later on in life, and if you have access to an exercise bike, work that for long periods.

by the way good luck in your fight. :D

1.4 lbs of hair is so much? Thats kinda gross to be honest man..

You must use axle grease as hair gel over your entire body

Buy some greens and fiber and clean out your shitter.

Thats about 2 - 3 lbs., it will also speed up your metabolism/calorie movement.

Also, make sure you have a decent plan to rehydrate after you cut. I've never done it, so I don't know if you just consume massive amounts of water, or if you take other stuff along with it.

Ok, I'm 171 when I wake up in the AM, 173 during the day. My kickboxing coach told me this, tell me what you think. PS he thinks I should just lose the fat, and not cut weight if possible.

no bread, rice, pasta, potatos, sweets.
wake up and have a small amount of protein, like 1 boiled egg, then do either 30 mins of 25m swim sprints, where you rest at each end but kill yourself as fast as you can sprint swimming...
or
8x around a track, jog the ends and sprint the long sides. So you end up sprinting 1 mile, and jogging 1 mile. Do this every day. He doesn't believe in the long, slow cardio, he says you need sprints to fight correctly.
Eat meat, chicken, fish, eggs, spinach, mango, veggies 2 protein shakes a day 3 scoops so 52g. protein a shake. Don't eat after 7pm, have a protein shake before bed.
Hit the bag for 8x3min rds working combos I will use in the fight on every day except when I lift weights,
which is a barbell circuit like randy couture's (my idea) + abs & 3x10 pull ups and 3x30 explosive pushups 2x a week.
Kickbox at night 2hrs 5x a week. This is mainly pad work, some drills, some light sparring. No calisthenics or other shit like that, I just work on tech. at the gym.

what do you guys think? I'm especially interested in anyone's opinion who's already done what I'm trying to do.

Gsoares2 said:
1.4 lbs of hair is so much? Thats kinda gross to be honest man..

You must use axle grease as hair gel over your entire body

Dude, I'm hairy, but not severely (minor back hair). I just let the shit grow and didn't think about it, the woman didn't complain so I didn't care, then I figured I would shave it all (everything, arms, legs, nuts all that) and it added up to 1.4lbs. I couldn't believe that hair weighed that much. Any of you hairy fuckers, try it and post your results!! :D

"Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one recieves the prize? Run in such a way that you may win. Everyone who competes in the games exercises self-control in all things....therefore run in such a way, as not without aim; box in such a way, as not beating the air; but severely discipline your body and make it your slave...." Obviously, this is not any sort of scientific advice on losing fat but rather a good word that came to my mind in order to hopefully provide some inspiration to overcome the obstacles you must face to achieve your goal. Discipline your body and make it your slave so that you may win! (the passage was taken from the holy scriptures. if you would like to read it in context and hear what the Lord is actually trying to teach us, then refer to 1Corinthians 9:23-27) sorry i don't have enough knowledge on the subject of losing weight to be of assistance in that regard

funny thing is that the scale you're using is most likely off by a few lbs, in your favor or against you? I dont know lol

I know....that's what scares me. But I'm losing weight like crazy, like 1lb a day or more, so I think I'll be ok

Back