Need to lose 8 lbs for my first BJJ tournament

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by apacheindian, Jan 22, 2015.

1. apacheindian

apacheindian White Belt

38yo male, 5'9", 157.5lbs, 16% bf. I'm a BJJ white belt and am going to be in my first tournament on 3/7/15, about 6 weeks away. I need to get under 150 in order to be at the top end of the Lightweight division. If I try to make that but don't, I'll be stuck at the lower weight of the higher Welterweight division -- not good.

Currently I eat mostly paleo, probably averaging around 1800 cals/day. And I train BJJ around 8 times/week, and also lift weights 2-3 times/week.

Any advice on how to shed 8 lbs quickly?

2. IceWolf

IceWolf Orange Belt

TBH, I don't think the weight class difference is going to be a huge factor, but it can kinda suck sometimes. My first I was like a 211 lb heavyweight with the division going up to like 250, I did pretty well though.

If you really want to lose the weight though i'd say cut out 2 or 3 hundred calories per day which should be about a pound a week. Add in a few extra cardio sessions a week and you could do it in 6 weeks.

Be careful about your energy levels and add some more cals if you need them, eat clean, and you should be G2G.

(I am not a nutritionist)

3. loyalyolayal

loyalyolayal Steel Belt

8 lbs is nothing. Drink more water, Do more cardio or roll longer. I try to be a pound or 2 lower a day before tournaments so I could still eat properly. I do IF for a month before a tournament.

4. SuperiorHands

SuperiorHands Purple Belt

8 pounds is easy, just control your intake and add a little cardio. I also agree that your weight class isn't a big difference in your first tournament.

Just have fun with it regardless, I stressed too much over weight and everything for my first one and looking back it was overkill.

5. KillsWithBow

KillsWithBow White Belt

fuck cutting man. Does not make a difference at white belt lol.

6. Codger

Codger Brown Belt

I don't think 8lbs is all that easy in 8 weeks if you're atr 16% BF and eating "paleo" which I assume means pretty low carbs (normally the easy target for sudden weight loss). But it's doable I'm sure.

I wouldn't bother really. First tournament you've got enough to worry about. Just go along and try to enjoy it.

7. apacheindian

apacheindian White Belt

Yeah I'm kinda OCD so yeah y'all are probably right I'm probably overthinking this. Besides I just read that the weight they take on tournament day is with my Gi on -- whereas I've heretofore been weighing myself in my birthday suit. So tack on another 3lbs for the Gi, and that means I'd have to get down to like 146, which is an 11.5lb weight loss from now!

Just the other day I rolled with a slightly taller white belt who weight 203, and I hung with him just fine. So yeah maybe it isn't that big a deal if I remain in Welterweight. I'm just a scrub white belt anyway haha

Thanks a lot for y'all's input!