Need To Improve my standup

Dragons lair

White Belt
Reaction score
Im not really good at standup. i just mainly punch, and head on down for take downs, in which i usually lose. but soon, ill get up there, and just knock someone out. any tips for standup tech

We'll need more details in order to help you.
How long you been training? By training I mean learning from a trainer who knows what he's talking about.
What style?
What do you wanna get good at?

Stuff like that might help.

Boxing lessons is always a good answer when people ask to improve their stand-up as most Boxing gyms are legit unlike some MT ones where alot of McDojo's have popped up recently. I know first hand :(. But if this guy is saying all he does is punch then maybe a decent Muay Thai gym would widen his arsenal and if he's primarily a ground fighter then more deverse strikes might benefit him keeping the opponent off guard before rushing in for a takedown. If he wants to be a striker then good hands are important but like has been said we need more information.

Try throwing only straight punches. You'll be suprised how many land! Practice your bounce and don't stand flat footed.

I started few days ago. i always keep my right hand up. training, hard. i baically, dont have a trainer.i practice armbars,kimuras, and triangle chokeholds. i always keep my body tight when i punch or kick. i basically want to do muay tai, but i box for now. and i use kettlebell to improve my strength and endurance

This is a really hard post to not flame....

cant resist, at least spell learn to spell "Thai" properly before you train, and find a gym. From the sounds of it your watching youtube videos and expecting to be "the spider" with striking(for mma) while training in your basement.

I can tell your young, but try to read about getting proper training before you complain about not knowing what your doing with a "few days" of keeping your "right hand up" and well i could go on and on, but i know im walking that line of being a dickhead in this post.

Just get some real training :s

yea. i always work on my footing to. you know. try to last as long as possible. but i know i cant expect that right away. so i train and train. hope for a better workout the next. so yea. i now know what i have to do. thanks for the help.

I started few days ago. i always keep my right hand up. training, hard. i baically, dont have a trainer.i practice armbars,kimuras, and triangle chokeholds. i always keep my body tight when i punch or kick. i basically want to do muay tai, but i box for now. and i use kettlebell to improve my strength and endurance

maybe this is why your takedown and submissions attempts never work

Sounds like you and friends are training in the basement, so to speak. Untrained guys have no business "training" armbars without a trainer's supervision. Somebody's going to get popped and, trust me, rehab sucks. It's not very bright to smack each other around, but I know boys will be boys. But I strongly suggest you shitcan the subs. Hate to sound like an adult, but JMO.

yea. i know how to do the armbar, and triangle chokehold. ive done those alot. my brother, always does this one move. where his legs ock on my right arm. and he holds my left hand tightly. so i cant move. both arms. its a good move to. just cant remember the name.

yea. i know how to do the armbar, and triangle chokehold. ive done those alot. my brother, always does this one move. where his legs ock on my right arm. and he holds my left hand tightly. so i cant move. both arms. its a good move to. just cant remember the name.

yea. i know how to do the armbar, and triangle chokehold. ive done those alot. my brother, always does this one move. where his legs ock on my right arm. and he holds my left hand tightly. so i cant move. both arms. its a good move to. just cant remember the name. i think it was the crucifix or something

Back