Need the perfect new equipment bag (Large)

FUdoshin77

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
2 broken zippers on equipment bag! (UFC 26" Duffel bag... dont laugh, I got it on sale)

My wife and I take 3 bags to training. She takes my small Lucky Gi canvas bag for her change of clothes and I take my Oakley Icon 3.0 (All BJJ/No-Gi clothes & equipment + Muay Thai shorts & tank tops + hygiene stuff...The bag I bring into the locker/change room) and a large duffel bag for both OUR Muay Thai equipment that I bring into the gym.

New Broken Bags Contents:

1x Pair of Thai Kick Pads (Large)
2x Pair of Bag Gloves
2x Pair of Shin Guards
1x Head Guard
2x Skipping Ropes
2x-6x Pairs of Hand Wraps
2x Towels
2x Water Bottles
1x Mouth Guard

Future Bag Contents: (Everything from above list +...)

2x Pairs of Sparring Gloves *
1x Pair of Curved Focus Mitts
1x Head Guard *
1x Belly Pad **
1x Female Chest Pad *
1x Mouth Guard *

* = Wife not ready/comfortable with live sparring yet, but the bag should still be able to hold everything.

** = I dont need it yet, but I still want to pack it just in case.

Any recommendations/suggestions on a large duffel bag for our Muay Thai equipment? Price doesnt matter as much as Quality & Practicality, but I am looking for the best deal on the perfect bag!

Datsusara gear bag is easily the best mma gear bag. Just look for reviews in the reviews section.

I have a shock doctor bag that's really huge. It's much bigger than I thought it would be so I would feel ridiculous using it. I was going to put it up on ebay but if you want it for a reasonable price, it's yours. I just did a quick measurement, it's 27 x 14, 16 tall. It's a top quality bag, nice rubber handgrips, and shoulder strap. I just wish it were smaller. I can take pics if you're interested.

I've always wanted a Datsusara gear bag, do a search on youtube for their videos, you can fit an insane amount of stuff in them.

Until I manage to get a Datsusara bag, my Hayabusa gear bag does pretty well. Unlike the Datsusara, the Hayabusa bag is just one big space. I manage to fit a Gi, 16oz gloves, water bottle, skipping rope, headgear, shin guards, small container of snacks :p footwear and compression shorts in it without any issue and I still have space left. You definitely wouldn't be able to fit the kick pads in though.

to get all that stuff in there, including the "future" list, you will need 2 bags. thai pads and 4 pair of gloves is enough to fill most bags up, unless you're talking mma gloves. assuming you're not, then you def need two bags.

its been mentioned but i'll just say it again, you want the datsusara bag. maybe two, one each to carry your own gear. i have one and love it. best bag i've owned. currently i put twins thai pads, two pair of boons training gloves, one pair of smaller bag gloves, shin guards, focus mitts, jump rope, two pair knee pads, wrestling shoes, handwraps, mouthguards, extra clothes, two pair of wrist guards (for kali), and some other small odds and ends.

Datsusara PGB

The main pocket and the length as my Thai Kick Pads (16") are the exact same length. This is how I tetris my equipment in my bag: Thai Kick Pads with grips facing each other on the back bottom, 2 pairs of shin guards on the front buttom, and 2 pairs of gloves on top of everything, and could close the zipper (until the zipper broke) and is a bit of a tight fit. The rest of the gear is stored on the side pockets.

I was thinking maybe the large Fushida duffel bag, but I'd like to know all my options.

The Koral Monster Duffel Bag seams like a good size, but its made of 100% cotton (not good).

The Datsusara Pro Gear bag seams nice, but in not a fan of the side velcro pockets (prefer zippers for security), but I could live with it.

The main pocket and the length as my Thai Kick Pads (16") are the exact same length. This is how I tetris my equipment in my bag: Thai Kick Pads with grips facing each other on the back bottom, 2 pairs of shin guards on the front buttom, and 2 pairs of gloves on top of everything, and could close the zipper (until the zipper broke) and is a bit of a tight fit. The rest of the gear is stored on the side pockets.

I was thinking maybe the large Fushida duffel bag, but I'd like to know all my options.

The Koral Monster Duffel Bag seams like a good size, but its made of 100% cotton (not good).

The Datsusara Pro Gear bag seams nice, but in not a fan of the side velcro pockets (prefer zippers for security), but I could live with it.

are you talking security as in you don't want someone to steal your stuff, or are you talking about the fact that the pockets may open and spill your gear??

i assure you that if someone wants your stuff they will either take the whole bag or they won't care if you have zipper or velcro. if its the latter reason then as an owner of the bag i will tell you that the velcro is very secure.

seriously, look at the list of stuff i put in my first response, the datsusara is what you are looking for. i get all that stuff and it isn't a tight fit. the bag is very well designed and easy to take advantage of all the space it offers.

Datsusara PGB all the way. You might be able to fit all of that stuff in one of their Pro Gear Bags depending on how large your thai pads and focus mitts are. If not you could go with two PGB's or one PGB and one of their Backpacks which is pretty roomy too.

Get a hockey bag, and if you want a really big bag get a goalies bag. most of them have two end pockets and two side pockets for skates. You can get them with wheels too so it's easier to drag around.

If I didn't have my BlackHawk! military bag then I would've easily bought the Datsusara bag. It's sexy, well-stitched, and the guy comes on these forums and chats with us. So you know you get a quality bag with great customer service.

Pricey at 100 bones, but you could go the route of another average bag again only to find yourself wasting money in the long run.

Buy quality once, and only one. Datsusara homie.

Back