Need Some Travel Advice From The Sherdog Amateur Travel Agents

I would cross New Orleans off and narrow it to Miami or New York. New Orleans is dirty AF.

I’ve been to New York a dozen times, but never in December. It will be cold, but it should be awesome around Christmas time. There’s a ton of stuff you and your gf would enjoy (Empire State building, Broadway, Times Square, various sports, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, ice skating at Rockefeller Center, tons of good restaurants, etc.).

I’ll let others comment on Miami. I don’t know Miami as well. It’s a different pace though, but the weather would be better.
Didn't think about the Christmas time aspect. Yeah New York in Christmas time definitely sounds like a plus. Thanks man, I'll keep that in mind. As far as New Orleans, I'm surprised to hear that. I've only ever heard good things.

I’ve been to Miami a few times but it was always quick in and out stays so I didn’t get to see much(fly in for a meeting, fly back next am type)

So that’s where I’d want to go but I can’t help much with recommendations

For New Orleans i like staying at the hotel Lafayette because of location and decent price for a suite.

It’s quite there so after the nightlife you can sleep good.

It’s an old hotel and dog friendly with a park next door.

As far as what to do there, well eat and drink lol.
Hotel Lafayette. Got it. Thanks man, I'll look into that one.

Haven’t been to New Orleans yet but been to NYC twice and had a ball each time. There is just so much to do there, and insane choices for eating out.

If you go, there are plenty of only guides that offer you suggested itineraries on what to do, what to see etc.

The hop on hop off bus tours is a great way to see the city, as you get off anywhere along the route and just get on another one when you’re ready to move on.
Yeah sounds like there would be the most to do in New York. I'll look into the bus tours. At this point I think I'm crossing out Miami and looking more at New York or New Orleans. Seems more our speed.

New Orleans. Its the best place I ever been personally in the US, and I been abroad too and nothing was as good it. New Orleans is such a awesome place for visitors.
What do you do when you go there?

Plus @Cint lives there.
What do you do when you go to New Orleans? @HI SCOTT NEWMAN

Last edited:
This December will mark 7 years with my girlfriend, we didn't get to do much last year as money was a lot tighter. Money situation has improved a lot this year and I want to treat her to a nice vacation. Money is good, but not great so I want to stay within the US but that's fine as neither of us has traveled much within the states anyway.

I've been considering a couple locations and it seems New Orleans, Miami, and New York are three cool tourist locations that neither of us have been to. Does anyone have any opinions on any of these places in terms of tourism appeal? Safety and comfort? Hotels, attractions, etc.. Alla that.

Also, I know travel agents are seldom used in 2018 but given my lack of experience with travel I thought it may be a good idea? Suggestions would be great. I know next to nothing about travel, just looking to have a good time.

Any advice is appreciated!

In Winter, may as well come to NYC and experience the winter here. Last holiday season was really cold, but then warmed up for rest of winter. You can watch the Christmas spectacular, or see the big tree, and maybe stay for NYE glass apple drop. And of course you can sample the food.

Thanks man. I'll check out that hotel. Any recommended activities? Fogo de Chao is good. We have one here in San Jose.
If you have the time, a day trip to the Everglades or Key West would be nice. If you or your girl like shopping, they have two of the biggest and most luxurious malls in the country at the Aventura Mall and Sawgrass Mills.

I know Miami and New York pretty well. @Cint can help you with New Orleans. In Miami, I'd recommend staying at The Standard in Miami Beach. I've stayed there a lot and it's awesome. Beautiful view of the bay, HUGE pool and hot chicks. Fogo de Chao is a good place to eat, especially if you've worked up an appetite.

New York has so many places to stay it's hard to narrow it down. They also have a Standard there, but I haven't stayed there. I can't even remember the name of a lot of places I've stayed in New York. I kind of feel like it's just best to go there and not plan too much. It's a walking city and Manhattan is essentially the center of the universe.

If you want to get to know the people you should look into an Airbnb in New Orleans. If you rent in the French Quarter you don't need a car. Also take the Nola Streetcars everywhere you want to go. The Lyft and Uber here is excellent. @Jackie Blue

If you want to get to know the people you should look into an Airbnb in New Orleans. If you rent in the French Quarter you don't need a car. Also take the Nola Streetcars everywhere you want to go. The Lyft and Uber here is excellent. @Jackie Blue
There is a trolley stop right near the hotel I mentioned another reason we stay there.

I park my truck and don’t get back in it till it’s time to leave to go home

New Orleans is overrated IMO. Plus, once the night sets in you had better not stray a block or two outside of Bourbon Street. The French Quarter is rougher than most starry eyed tourists know. My ex and I were tailed by a few "youths" and had to double time back to a restaurant / bar to get them to give up and walk away. It's not an uncommon story.

New York is cool if you visit the Art Museum, Radio City Music Hall, or see a play. Good places to eat or go clubbing. Very safe on average with the typical "good area / bad area" dynamic of any big city.

Miami is nice, especially if you go when the weather is in the 80's. Great old structures, good food and clubs, and also safe much like New York.

I'd do Miami as there are beaches, clubs, and wildlife within driving distance and you can rent a car and not lose your mind like trying to drive in NY.

If you never visited Seattle or Portland you should possibly consider those places. Great food, night life, really safe, and within driving distance of great Mountains and wildlife. Plus, they're on the same coast so travel isn't stupidly expensive or time consuming.

Best of luck, I hope you enjoy whatever you choose.

New Orleans is overrated IMO. Plus, once the night sets in you had better not stray a block or two outside of Bourbon Street. The French Quarter is rougher than most starry eyed tourists know. My ex and I were tailed by a few "youths" and had to double time back to a restaurant / bar to get them to give up and walk away. It's not an uncommon story.

New York is cool if you visit the Art Museum, Radio City Music Hall, or see a play. Good places to eat or go clubbing. Very safe on average with the typical "good area / bad area" dynamic of any big city.

Miami is nice, especially if you go when the weather is in the 80's. Great old structures, good food and clubs, and also safe much like New York.

I'd do Miami as there are beaches, clubs, and wildlife within driving distance and you can rent a car and not lose your mind like trying to drive in NY.

If you never visited Seattle or Portland you should possibly consider those places. Great food, night life, really safe, and within driving distance of great Mountains and wildlife. Plus, they're on the same coast so travel isn't stupidly expensive or time consuming.

Best of luck, I hope you enjoy whatever you choose.
Thanks for the info man. I wasn't aware that New Orleans was sketchy like that so close to the tourist areas. Has anyone else had an experience like this?

I would cross New Orleans off and narrow it to Miami or New York. New Orleans is dirty AF.

I’ve been to New York a dozen times, but never in December. It will be cold, but it should be awesome around Christmas time. There’s a ton of stuff you and your gf would enjoy (Empire State building, Broadway, Times Square, various sports, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, ice skating at Rockefeller Center, tons of good restaurants, etc.).

I’ll let others comment on Miami. I don’t know Miami as well. It’s a different pace though, but the weather would be better.
Granted, I haven't been to New Orleans yet, but I disagree. It's a really unique city in its own right, just like NYC and Miami. There's no other city in America like it, just like with the other two cities. It also sounds like @Arkridge would enjoy it because he's into touristy stuff. NO has cuisine, architecture, warm weather, culture, nightlife, etc. I look forward to going there soon...

Didn't think about the Christmas time aspect. Yeah New York in Christmas time definitely sounds like a plus.

I've been to NYC a few times and had my fill.

The only time of the year I'd go back to experience NYC one more time, is for Christmas.

Home Alone 2, bro.

None of these fucking cans have any idea what they're talking about @Arkridge . Miami and New Orleans are sweltering hell holes of drunks and humidity. Yeah sure it's always warm there but so is my ass and they both are about as moist.

NYC is fine if you like an entire city of douchebags that will constantly tell you about how great their city is while a grown man shits on another man doing heroin in spitting distance. I mean literal spitting distance because you'll encounter a lot of that too. Everyone needs to visit New York because it's objectively the greatest city in the world but not on vacation when you're looking for fun stuff to do and a laid back environment.

You want a real place to visit that might have you thinking about moving there? Try San Diego. Weather is perfect year round with none of that awful swamp ass you get within five minutes of stepping off the plane in Miami. If you don't believe me, check the weather. Like now. Check it tomorrow. And the day after. You think Miami has nice beaches? San Diego has the kind of beaches girls 13-30 dream about taking selfies in. You want shit to do? San Diego has the nicest, biggest, most interesting zoo in the fucking world. Those assholes actually got pandas to breed. China can't even do that. You like whales and shit? There's SeaWorld. You like boats and shit? There's naval bases, ships you can tour, coastal tours, cruises. Bars? The Gaslamp Quarter will go toe to toe with anywhere's downtown. You like art and shit? There's museums galore, art everywhere.

I haven't even touched on my favorite thing about San Diego, fucking MEXICANS. There's Mexicans everywhere. You know what that means? Fucking delicious fucking Mexican food on every corner. You could throw a rock and hit a better taqueria than anywhere else in the country (I swear to god if one of you TexMex jabronis even thinks about @tting me). I had a burrito so good once right in downtown that I almost cried because I knew it was never going to get better than that. If that isn't enough, get your passport ready and take a twenty goddamn minute drive to Mexico. Boom. You just doubled your places been to and stamped that passport book. And learn some fucking Spanish if you're going to be all up in the homeland.

tl;dr visit San Diego, you're fucking welcome.

There is a trolley stop right near the hotel I mentioned another reason we stay there.

I park my truck and don’t get back in it till it’s time to leave to go home

I rarely drive my car into the French Quarter. Street parking is hard to find and tourists who don't give a darn might ding your car. It's easier to take Lyft or Uber.

I rarely drive my car into the French Quarter. Street parking is hard to find and tourists who don't give a darn might ding your car. It's easier to take Lyft or Uber.
I’ve had horrible luck with Uber there, I either trolley, walk or ride my bike there

lol, wtf is an admin doing looking for advice from regular posters for? aren't they supposed to know a lot more than us?

None of these fucking cans have any idea what they're talking about @Arkridge . Miami and New Orleans are sweltering hell holes of drunks and humidity. Yeah sure it's always warm there but so is my ass and they both are about as moist.

NYC is fine if you like an entire city of douchebags that will constantly tell you about how great their city is while a grown man shits on another man doing heroin in spitting distance. I mean literal spitting distance because you'll encounter a lot of that too. Everyone needs to visit New York because it's objectively the greatest city in the world but not on vacation when you're looking for fun stuff to do and a laid back environment.

You want a real place to visit that might have you thinking about moving there? Try San Diego. Weather is perfect year round with none of that awful swamp ass you get within five minutes of stepping off the plane in Miami. If you don't believe me, check the weather. Like now. Check it tomorrow. And the day after. You think Miami has nice beaches? San Diego has the kind of beaches girls 13-30 dream about taking selfies in. You want shit to do? San Diego has the nicest, biggest, most interesting zoo in the fucking world. Those assholes actually got pandas to breed. China can't even do that. You like whales and shit? There's SeaWorld. You like boats and shit? There's naval bases, ships you can tour, coastal tours, cruises. Bars? The Gaslamp Quarter will go toe to toe with anywhere's downtown. You like art and shit? There's museums galore, art everywhere.

I haven't even touched on my favorite thing about San Diego, fucking MEXICANS. There's Mexicans everywhere. You know what that means? Fucking delicious fucking Mexican food on every corner. You could throw a rock and hit a better taqueria than anywhere else in the country (I swear to god if one of you TexMex jabronis even thinks about @tting me). I had a burrito so good once right in downtown that I almost cried because I knew it was never going to get better than that. If that isn't enough, get your passport ready and take a twenty goddamn minute drive to Mexico. Boom. You just doubled your places been to and stamped that passport book. And learn some fucking Spanish if you're going to be all up in the homeland.

tl;dr visit San Diego, you're fucking welcome.
You're an asshole, but I have to admit I ended up enjoying this post. I considered moving to San Diego, but it was a bit too expensive. I settled on South Florida. Would love to visit San Diego someday...

lol, wtf is an admin doing looking for advice from regular posters for? aren't they supposed to know a lot more than us?

yeah because being a mod on a karate forum makes you the grand wizard of knowing everything..
<{cruzshake}>

I decided to make it a bit shorter and only keep the important stuff in, for you busy sherbro's

fucking my ass
a grown man shits on another man
awful swamp ass girls 13-30
You want shit
fucking shit? You like shit? shit?
fucking MEXICANS. Fucking fucking fucking

you're fucking welcome.

Thanks for the info man. I wasn't aware that New Orleans was sketchy like that so close to the tourist areas. Has anyone else had an experience like this?

I have! Yeah New Orleans is rough as hell right around those tourist areas in the french quarter. Even parts of Bourbon Street I had people warning me not to walk down alone. And that's the most populated street in the city. I never had anything crazy rough happen to me but it's just a nasty astmosphere, man. I've seen people getting their ass kicked. Had a transvestitie hooker in a black camaro try to pick me up, with some homeless man yelling at me "DON'T DO IT THAT'S A MAN!" lol. Had a chick try to pick my wallet out of my pocket once. It's just not a good place bro. It's fun if you're young and wild, and I was when I went. But I've been there 3 times and each time I was ready to gtfo of there after like 3 days. Oh btw I went once during Mardi Gras and there other 2 times were in the off season. And the worst stuff I saw was in the off season. NO is overrated and it's dirty. Not a good place to take your family. Just my opinion.

Granted, I haven't been to New Orleans yet, but I disagree. It's a really unique city in its own right, just like NYC and Miami. There's no other city in America like it, just like with the other two cities. It also sounds like @Arkridge would enjoy it because he's into touristy stuff. NO has cuisine, architecture, warm weather, culture, nightlife, etc. I look forward to going there soon...

lol no, it's a shithole. Go there and tell me I'm wrong.

I have! Yeah New Orleans is rough as hell right around those tourist areas in the french quarter. Even parts of Bourbon Street I had people warning me not to walk down alone. And that's the most populated street in the city. I never had anything crazy rough happen to me but it's just a nasty astmosphere, man. I've seen people getting their ass kicked. Had a transvestitie hooker in a black camaro try to pick me up, with some homeless man yelling at me "DON'T DO IT THAT'S A MAN!" lol. Had a chick try to pick my wallet out of my pocket once. It's just not a good place bro. It's fun if you're young and wild, and I was when I went. But I've been there 3 times and each time I was ready to gtfo of there after like 3 days. Oh btw I went once during Mardi Gras and there other 2 times were in the off season. And the worst stuff I saw was in the off season. NO is overrated and it's dirty. Not a good place to take your family. Just my opinion.
Thanks for the info. How recently were you there? I find cities in general to be safer than they once were for whatever reasons. I grew up in the 90s and still sort of remember the 80s. Seems like things were rougher then. I'm not as young and physically capable as I once was, but if anything I'm mentally tougher.
lol no, it's a shithole. Go there and tell me I'm wrong.
I would love to... :)

Back