Need some opinions....

Michael Fortin

Amateur Fighter
Reaction score
*Mods: Sorry if this doesn't fall exactly into the conditioning catergory.*

Hey guys, I'm scheduled to make my MMA debut next Saturday (19th). Today, doing some cardio drills, I sprained the hell out of my ankle. Very swollen and painful. If it still hurts and is swollen and painful on Saturday, do I suck it up and take advantage of the opportunity that lies ahead? I have been training and dieting hardcore for 3 months now. I cut from 180 to 155. I literally put myself through hell and stayed healthy up until now. I am on pace to make weight, even without heavy cardio this week. I am planning on resting it during the day this week, then doing some exersice bike and seated arm workouts in the evenings, then take Friday off completely. The DR. is saying absolutely not, but he doesn't understand what I've put into this. Any advice would be appreciated.

Listen to the Dr. Have him check it again in a few days. If he still says no, then stay off it. There are fights all the time, not like this coming Saturday is gonna be your last chance.

Though what happened to you is very unfortunate take heed of what your doctor has told you. Rest it up and if it is feeling much better (i.e. you can walk/put pressure on it without pain) by saturday than you can consider fighting. However if you go into the fight with your ankle still sprained it can lead to worst things and take you out of fighting/training for a while.

Theres always more fights, no need to rush into this one.

well look at it this way. I had a fight a month ago. 1 week before I got a slight tear in my rib cartilage.
Now after all the work I had done, and because this was a big opportunity, I really didn't want to pull out.
So, anyways, I fought, my rib popped (this time bad), I lost and I haven't been able to roll or spar since.
So sometimes you just have to save what you can...

LOL at sucking it up to take the opportunity. Seriously, how big of an opportunity can this be? I'm sure another event will roll around.

I sprained my foot for the second time within 2 months, it hurt alot and swelled up nice and good. I had a fight scheduled June 7th, but am unable to do anything except focus on weight training. I have to wear a brace, and I can't even do any conditioning besides some rowing and DB swings. I might not fight on that one just because I wont be able to prepare.

Best advice, don't fight, do what the doc says and get an ankle brace. Wear it all the time, even when it feels good enough to train again.

Foot injuries take a long time to heal because you are always walking on the injured foot.

Back