Need some help with adding a strength routine into my week.

Masi

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey, I wonder if you guys can help me out here, this is my training week:

Monday: 1 Hour Muay Thai & 1 hour BJJ
Tuesday: Strength
Wednesday: 1 hour MMA and 1 Hour No Gi
Thursday: 1 Hour Muay Thai and 1 Hour BJJ
Friday: 1 Hour Muay Thai Sparring
Saturday: Rest
Sunday: Rest

I want to gain mass, so ive upped my food intake (all clean) and ive added creatine and l-glutamine into my diet. My problem is I dont know how can I add a strength routine between my training and not cause myself to overtrain. Should I ease up my training or can I do strength still with all this training?

I hope Im not bothering you all too much,

Thanks

-Mehrad

You won't overtrain with a strength routine in your week... period. The FAQ has plenty of tips on strength routines.

If you train only one day per week, overtraining should not be an issue. I think that 3 days per week would be too much.

If you only train one day per week, I would do

Squat or Front Squat
Overhead Press/Push Press or Bench
Deadlift or Clean Pull.

Maybe try to add some heavy ab work and chinups during the week if you are not doing stuff like that during your classes.

Maybe add a strength routine on one of your rest days?

Yeah I probebly should, in that case, would it be better to split if i were to have 2 strength days?

Squat or Front Squat
Overhead Press/Push Press or Bench
Deadlift or Clean Pull.

Maybe try to add some heavy ab work and chinups during the week if you are not doing stuff like that during your classes.

Yep, the big three sounds great for an allover, for core training I usually do about 4 weighted core exercises and do 10-20 reps for each one and repeat 5 times, like a circuit. Does that sound good?

*cough* do the Cosgrove program. He knows how to train combat athletes *cough*

Yep, the big three sounds great for an allover, for core training I usually do about 4 weighted core exercises and do 10-20 reps for each one and repeat 5 times, like a circuit. Does that sound good?

Yeah, sure. As long as you are not only doing crunches.

If eating "clean" is going to interfere with your ability to consume A LOT of calories, then don't worry about it too much. Now, obviously don't go overboard and stuff your face with cake everyday (no shit), but don't freak out if you have to get a baconator because you can't get home for a meal. It WON'T kill you.

Also, make sure you ease into your program. I'd start out with no more that 1-2 MAX weightlifting sessions a week for now.

Yeah I probebly should, in that case, would it be better to split if i were to have 2 strength days?

All of these core exercises are done in one session? That sounds excessive. One or two would do per session.

Woodchops, russian twists (lower and upper), Weighted swiss ball crunch, or swiss ball crunch with medicine ball throw, hanging leg raises, or v-ups.

Are you being sarcastic?

No, I saw the Cosgrove program a while back and I thought it was brilliant. 2 day split. Each session starts with an explosive oly type movement. One day I would choose cleans, the other, push press. The remainder of the session is a whole body workout utilizing undulating periodization and alternating sets.

No, I saw the Cosgrove program a while back and I thought it was brilliant. 2 day split. Each session starts with an explosive oly type movement. One day I would choose cleans, the other, push press. The remainder of the session is a whole body workout utilizing undulating periodization and alternating sets.[/QUOTE

Yeah this sounds good, it reminds me off the type of periodization Ross Enamait wrote in his "Infinite Intensity" book, only i ironically havent got any access to odd weighted objects, only a gym with free weights! :icon_chee

Im abit confused about the excercises, on the lower body day it shows deadlifts and on the the upper body day it had lungers or squat splits, Im abit confused :icon_conf

Also when you do a 2 day split, is it:

week 1: 5x3 & 4x4

week 2: 3x5 & 5x3

week 3: 4x5 & 3x5

or is it:

week 1: 5x3 & 4x4

week 2: 3x5 & 5x3

week 3: 3x10 & 2x15

Masi where do you train in London?

David Lloyds, I train in kingston in greater london, but i train at carlson gracie for mma, bjj and muay thai at barnes, right near hammersmith bridge.

Masi where do you train in London?

David Lloyds, I train in kingston in greater london, but i train at carlson gracie for mma, bjj and muay thai at barnes, right near hammersmith bridge.

Im abit confused about the excercises, on the lower body day it shows deadlifts and on the the upper body day it had lungers or squat splits, Im abit confused :icon_conf

Don't confuse it with and upper and lower split. Only the first exercise follows this protocol. They are intended to be full body workouts. It does list quad dominant and hip (posterior chain) dominant exercises for each day.

Back