Need some advice

MikePaiva

White Belt
Reaction score
I have recently taken up kickboxing and have been doing it for 2 months, for a newcomer I am considered quite good. I usually use my speed, movement and strong defense to hold my own against people who have been training for years, but recently I have encountered some problems with defending push kicks, I can do fine but when someone exploits my weakness against push kicks they can utilize them to their advantage, any advice?

Is it really necessary for you to tell us how much of a kickboxing prodigy you are?

When I started boxing everyone I trained with commented on how awesome I am. Then when I was sparring I had problems when people would jab me. Any advice guys.. on what to do against a jab?

When I started boxing everyone I trained with commented on how awesome I am. Then when I was sparring I had problems when people would jab me. Any advice guys.. on what to do against a jab?

Proper use of your speed, movement, and strong defense will allow you to hold your own against people who have been training for years. This is especially true if you're sparring people so terrible that, after years of training, they are slower and less mobile than a guy who just started two months ago. Don't listen to people who tell you that if you don't know how to deal with a jab you shouldn't be sparring. Haters gonna hate, especially on a prodigy like you, but they're just jealous.

Say your both orthodox for arguments sake. they come at you with a left push kick, you use your left arm (from your guard) to sweep it to the side almost spinning your opponent 45 degrees away or so to your left and you kick them in the ribs or whatever floats your boat.

or just get good at footwork and step to the side. most of the time they'll come faster than what your hands can deal with.

There's no reason to feel ashamed to say you're good. Bruce Lee said "If I tell you I'm good you'll think I'm bragging. But if I say I'm no good you'll know I'm lying".

Anyway against a push kick there's a really simple defense: step back using your front foot so that it lands further back than your back foot (so if your left side was forward your right side should now be forward), don't just shuffle your rear foot back, because stepping back with the front is the fastest way to gain enough distance to make the kick unable to push you. This also has the effect of turning your torso, so that if you're unable to block the kick sufficiently with your hands it should roll off your torso more. And as you step back, rest your glove underneath his foot for a split second while his foot's still in the air; this slows him down and prevents any immediate follow-up move. Immediately after stepping back, step forward again with your own attack, by stepping to the side of his leg as he drops it (to the right of it if you stepped back with your left leg).

I can do fine but when someone exploits my weakness against push kicks they can utilize them to their advantage, any advice?

Avoid linear movements, and start working angles. And, try to determine if you are telegraphing your offense and correct it. Talk to your instructor, and I am sure they can help.

:icon_chee

here's how you defend the push kick:

take your rear foot and step back, then slide your lead foot back into your stance. Its not rocket science, just back up and push back in. If you were as good as you say you are, you already have footwork so.....carry on.

I think everyone's good when they start, it's when others learn your tricks that they beat you. I'm the same way, except instead of hitting fast, I hit hard. I used to just bum rush people, but then they just started staying away and they beat me.

Back