Need Some Advice

steeleju

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Hey Sherdog,

I have just returned back to training full time again after a 2 week layoff where I only got to train once a week, and since I have got back to training full time I have noticed some huge changes in my game. For example my overall condition is still good but my skills have really gone down, I used to dominate almosty everyone in my gym but now they are almost entirley dominating me, so can you give me some advice sherdog, thanks

2 weeks?

I don't know. Just keep going. I've never noticed a degrading of my skills in as short a time as two weeks.

Maybe it's because I have no skills...not sure.

Hey Sherdog,

I have just returned back to training full time again after a 2 week layoff where I only got to train once a week, and since I have got back to training full time I have noticed some huge changes in my game. For example my overall condition is still good but my skills have really gone down, I used to dominate almosty everyone in my gym but now they are almost entirley dominating me, so can you give me some advice sherdog, thanks

.... In the course of two weeks, you went from total domination to getting owned by everyone? That really doesn't make sense, maybe you just had a bad day. Just chill and keep practicing and having fun

2 weeks?

I don't know. Just keep going. I've never noticed a degrading of my skills in as short a time as two weeks.

Maybe it's because I have no skills...not sure.

I dont know man, whenever I have a ayoff that lasts a week, and then train and have another week layoff my body takes very harshly to it, thanks for the advice though

Well ask yourself this, are you not going to continue training regardless of your performance after a break such as that? Just stick with it and pick yourself back up,

I don't think theres much advice anyone can give on this situation. At least thats my opinion. Just show up early and do some drilling I guess.

However, for the sake of attempting, a good drill I know of is to get a buddy and have him try to pass your guard or vise versa, and neither of you are allowed to use hands. This helps my bottom game a lot and it forces you to move those hips and work balance and posture depending what side you are on.

Well ask yourself this, are you not going to continue training regardless of your performance after a break such as that? Just stick with it and pick yourself back up,

I don't think theres much advice anyone can give on this situation. At least thats my opinion. Just show up early and do some drilling I guess.

However, for the sake of attempting, a good drill I know of is to get a buddy and have him try to pass your guard or vise versa, and neither of you are allowed to use hands. This helps my bottom game a lot and it forces you to move those hips and work balance and posture depending what side you are on.

alright thanks man ill try that

I just got back from a two week layoff and I was better, not worse.

I dunno, I often hear people complain about how quickly their skill and/or conditioning leaves them. Its all the harder because your team mates are actively improving in that time.

In the grand scheme of things, two weeks is nothing. Train for a few more weeks yourself and you'll be feeling back to normal.

[Tycho?];40871791 said:
I just got back from a two week layoff and I was better, not worse.

I was going to say the same thing.

For me, it's that my body breaks down a lot during training. Add in some farm chores, a tournament or two, or some nagging injuries and time off for me is often refreshing.

TS, just give yourself a couple of days to acclimate yourself back into training. I don't think 2 weeks is going to make that much of a difference -- maybe your training partners got better?

I wouldn't worry too much, TS. I took a month long break after I came home from college. At first, my conditioning was horrible and I felt I lost a good amount of muscle memory. However, the memory comes back and you definitely will get back in the swing of things. Two weeks isn't that long, though. Shouldn't take much time whatsoever.

I'm the opposite. After a bit of time off, as long as I've not come back too early and I've recovered from any injuries, I always seem to have improved. It must be the open frame of mind I come back in with, the lack of expectation and the absence of any pressure.

This goes for any sporting activity. There have been times when I've not played footy for 2 years, and then run rings round everyone on the pitch in my first game back - only to revert to my usual shit self in the very next game.

Back