Need recommendations for bench & rack for home gym.

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Tirofijo2001, May 27, 2014.

1. Tirofijo2001

Tirofijo2001 Yellow Belt

Hi all,

Baby on the way, and as a result I'm anticipating not being able to get to the commercial gym as frequently. So I'm going to build a home gym.

I tend to stick with the press, bench, squat, deads and pullups, so I don't need anything fancy. It also doesn't have to be extremely heavy duty. I doubt my squat is going to get over 450lbs.

I'll be using a Cap OB-86B bar. I was ready to buy a $300 Rogue or Pendlay until I figured out I could get 90% of one of those bars for 50% of the cost with the OB-86B.

I guess what I'm looking for are recommendations for the OB-86B equivalents for a rack and bench. It doesn't have to be dirt cheap but does need to represent good value.

Anyone seen any good deals recently?

Also, do I really need a power rack, or can I not get away with some solid squat stands with safety arms? I'd both squat and bench with the safety arms.

The more I think about it, the more I think I might prefer high quality squat stands instead of settling for a cheap power rack. Something like this.
    http://www.getrxd.com/index.php/getrxdguillotines.html

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  2. obroin

obroin Orange Belt

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

He's got a great list at the end of options for building your own gym. Personally, I would much rather a power rack. I've almost been stapled by a big squat weight or crushed by a bench weight and saved by the rack. If you don't have a spotter, you only need to fuck up once to get really hurt or die. It might be more expensive, but I think the fact that it prevents you from getting hurt is worth it.

spinitch likes this.
  3. Tirofijo2001

Tirofijo2001 Yellow Belt

Just FYI, the squat stands I'm talking about have safety arms.

4. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

Where do you live? It'll affect the cost and availability of many items.

For example, check to see if you live near one of Rogue Fitnesses warehouses. If you do, you can pick-up an order directly from the warehouse, and not have to pay shipping. Shipping strength training equipment can potentially cost almost as much as the equipment itself, so this could potentially be a big savings.

5. hatchoo

hatchoo Orange Belt

If you live in the US, then craigslist is your friend. With the exception of my squat rack, most my equipment are from craigslist (oly bar, weight plates, bench, punching bag). There's a lot of people who end up not using their home gym equipment so they just end up selling them for cheap. Just keep checking.

Power rack is not necessary, but it is more stable than squat stands. My only issue with squat stands is that if go for something near my max, i tend to slam the bar against the rack when i un-rack it (due to fatigue). If i do that to a squat stand, it will likely tip over.

There's power racks in craigslist as well and i've seen them go for 300-$400. I bought a squat rack (pic below) because it's cheaper (paid $185) and it was adjustable so i can do dips on them. It saves space too.

[​IMG]

spinitch likes this.